“Treetops Montville”
Review of Treetops Montville

Treetops Montville
Reviewed 18 May 2009

Treetops Montville is a delightful place! Beautiful, restful, romantic and run by really nice people. I'm confused by some of the reviews because they seem to be mixing up various accommodations: Treetops, Treehouses etc which are different establishments run by different people (although they are both located in Montville). I haven't stayed at Treehouses, but I have stayed at TREETOPS MONTVILLE and just loved it.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Treetops Montville

Reviewed 28 March 2009

We had been to Montville on a previous trip and said we had to return and stay at Treetops Montville (almost opposite The Pennyfathings Inn, just on the out-skirts of town).

After finding a web page and reading about Treetops on the internet (www.treetopsmontville.com.au), I was sure I had the right place as they advertise “Treetops seaview cabins ”, so booked direct on the phone. The web pages look good! We booked “Sundance” a four bedroom cottage with sea views. I was delighted to receive a deal with the 3rd night for A$50 (their special was pay for 2 nights A$520 and receive a BONUS 3rd night for A$50). The total cost A$570. Average A$190 per night.

On arrival, we found we booked the wrong place. We wanted to stay in Montville at Treetops Seaview Montville (www.treetopseaview.com.au) , but actually booked Treetops of Montville (http://www.treetopsmontville.com.au/accommodation/visuals-tariffs.html).

So be careful there are 2 places with the same name!

The reception gave us a mud map to where we had booked. We had to drive 3 kms out of town and we actually got lost (twice!) from this mud map provided. I was unhappy at this time, and when we arrived I explained we booked the wrong place, but the Man (owner?) assured me we would be happy with the cottage. For our woes we were given a bottle of champagne!

We followed the man in his car (us in our car) to our Treetops cottage. He left us at the garage. I now know why he didn’t take us inside! Let me assure you we only stayed as we didn’t want to lose our money as we had now paid the balance in full.

The place itself is in a great bush setting, with distant views to the ocean, but it is NOT LUXURY, it is not worth the money …. It is sooo tired on the inside … The entire place is in dire need of an update.

LOUNGE: The brown leather lounge is sooo low and sooo old, and the arm cushions don’t even stay on, that we only sat on it when we had to. We opted to use the kitchen chairs. There is a very small, old TV (does work). No radio in the whole place. Air-conditioning in this room worked “when it wanted to”. Good points: None

KITCHEN: The kitchen table has been painted with the stickiest vanish and everything sticks to it – it is dry, just painted with the wrong paint! There is no dishwasher, it has obviously broken down and never been replaced. The fry pans we sooo dirty and burnt we didn’t use them to fry our eggs! A mouse visited every night and ate our bread. We only found out on Day 3 after all the bread crumbs were left and we found holes in the plastic and the bread eaten! It must have been hungry! Microwave has lost a leg and wobbles, stove top works (we didn’t use the oven). Good points: Large table and chairs (seats 6), adequate cookery, cutlery, glasses and cups, etc.

LIBRARY: Also a bedroom. Mouse droppings all over the bed. Also a wasp in this room, so we closed it off and didn’t use it.

LAUNDRY: Washing machine urgently needs replacing. It screams and is on its last legs. The dryer door is broken, but it still works. There is no clothes line, no clothes airer, and no pegs.

UPSTAIRS MAIN BEDROOM: Large room, OK. Bed is just “OK”. It is very, very soft, and it has a woollen under blanket, which gave me grief on the hot nights. The bed was simply too hot for me, and far too soft for my husband’s back. There was an air-conditioner above the bed which worked OK. There is a SPA, but we didn't use it. It is quite high to climb into.

OTHER 2 BEDROOMS UPSTAIRS: Cannot comment on, as they were locked. If they were open I may have slept in one of them as the main bed was simply was not for us.

BATHROOM: The shower upstairs is unusable. Either hot water or cold water. No warm water, and the pressure is 1 on a scale of 1 to 10. I used the shower downstairs, but that is another story! The water accumulates at the back of the bath as the drainage is inadequate, and it wet the towel I was going to dry myself with! Showers in this place were not fun!

CLEANLINESS: Basically clean, but every window and mirror is dirty. They need a good clean. There are many cob webs throughout the place, but these didn’t bother us.

WASPS: There is a wasp nest right at the front door. Therefore we didn’t use the balcony much as we would have liked, seeing 2 wasps during our 3 day stay. I got bitten on the finger by something on day one (I still think by a wasp) while walking in the bush around the cottage, and so we didn’t venture out in the garden much.

BBQ: There is a BBQ on the verandah. Works good, but you can’t clean it, no tools to do so. We cooked the bacon provided for breakfast on the BBQ, and boiled the eggs as we couldn’t fry them in the dirty fry-pans.

SECURITY: Perhaps it is not needed out here, but the garage door doesn’t lock. It was previously a remote controlled door, but it is now unplugged so we assumed this is broken and is not being fixed! The door from the garage into the house has broken door locks and they have not been fixed, so to lock this door you need lock it from the inside with a latch and then walk out the front door where the wasps are and around to the garage. Very inconvenient.

OUTDOOR SPA: Broken down. There are comments in the visitor’s book saying it was broken down in October and November 2008. Also comments in the book that it wasn’t working in August 2007.

BREAKFAST: Provisions provided, and they were very nice. Bread was not provided for the third night, only the cereal, juice, eggs, bacon, milk, butter and jams. The salt is kept in the fridge with the breakfast provisions – a problem as you cannot use it as it becomes moist and clumpy.

VIEWS: Great, but not as high and not as good as the Treetops Seaview that I thought we had booked!

VISITORS BOOK: We notice some pages have been torn out of the visitors’ book. We did make comments in it, but we assume our page might also be ripped out, as the comments were not flattering.

Please be careful and make sure you book the right place, not like us.

We cannot make comments on Treetops Seaview Montville as we didn’t stay there. But after staying where we did, I don’t think we will come back to Montville again. There are better areas in Australia to visit and stay, and whose accommodation is luxury at the same rate, if not less than here!

For what we got, it was expensive and left a sour taste in our mouth!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
7  Thank TwoAussies
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montville
Kondalilla Eco Resort
#6 of 15 in Montville
Montville Country Cabins
Montville Country Cabins
#5 of 15 in Montville

Been to Treetops Montville? Share your experiences!