“Wow! The pamper package”

Spicers Clovelly Estate
Ranked #2 of 9 Montville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 October 2012

We recently stayed at Spicers Clovelly for a short break celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary. What a beautiful place to get away and put the feet up. I booked the Pamper Package which included 2 nights accommodation in a lovely well appointed spa suite, champagne on arrival, a 5 course degustation dinner for 2, Parisian breakfast for both mornings (lovely), a 60 min relaxation massage for 2 and a romantic bath butler experience where the spa is prepared for a candle lit soaking with champagne and strawberries to indulge in. Everything about his place is beautiful - the rooms, the well manicured gardens, the scenic outlook. The staff could not do enough for us and the degustation dinner was like a Heston Blumenthal feast with a surprise in every course. The towns in the hinterland provide a lovely opportunity to stroll and browse the many art and craft shops, great scenic outlooks and lovely cafes. If you are looking for a reasonable priced romantic getaway for 2 with all the perks you could not go past this place.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Spicers Clovelly Estate

Reviewed 19 September 2012

Recently we had our wedding at Clovelly and just cannot speak highly enough of the experience over the 2 days. It started with our bridal party being escorted to a private cottage on the property and well to call it a cottage just does not do it justice. As for my room it was stunning and large enough for myself, the bridesmaids, hair, makeup and photographers to all comfortably be in the morning the wedding.
Both mornings were treated to a beautiful breakfast and nothing was too much for the team. Oh and dinner the night of the wedding for our 32 guests was impeccable! The bridal suite was a surprise for us also as on our return to the room it had been set for us with rose petals, a run spa accompanied by champagne and chocolates.
I just think that if you are looking for absolutely flawless luxury for a stay away or a weeding than you cannot find better than the work of Michelle, Sam and Cameron.
Thank you to the whole team for making our day perfect x

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Beautiful winding driveway down to gorgeous French provincial style estate.
When we opened the door to the room, we declared "nice" - but within a few moments, we had changed that impression to "not really all that special" and then within a few hours we were cursing having spent reasonable money - $400 a night for 2 nights.

The room was fairly basic - the bathroom appeared pleasant enough but as another reviewer pointed out, water pressure was dismal (which is not a tank water issue - we live on a rain water property and this doesnt occur) - hot water is very dependent on how many of your fellow neighbours are showering and the most irritating thing is you can't close the door to the bathroom without a deep low howling caused by I-have-no-idea what (maybe pressure in the room..who knows?) If someone is showering - the person in the room has to listen to the paperthin walls with groaning water pipes etc.
AND AT $400 A NIGHT - I WANT A BATH, SPICERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Noise - the four units in our building were accessed from the same entrance and you could hear EVERYTHING whenever people used the public areas and most things when people were drinking or chatting in their rooms.

Comfort -the bed was fine, not amazing, but comortable enough with good pillows.
All in all we were trapped there, as we were there for a wedding and the place was booked out and we had nowhere to transfer to, so no point even in complaining to the staff.

Public areas were well decorated and comfortable

Staff at front desk were friendly, restaurant staff were great.

Breakfast - thought it was okay. We were full-ish but only because we ate toast and other carb loaded things that we wouldnt normally as there was very little of anything else offered. The food offered was once again appearing to look posh - but the taste didnt follow through.

The title of my review indicates how I felt the spicers group are representing this "estate" - it appears to be classy and have a bit of style, but in essence it is not really anything special - and is trying to compete with the big boys of hospitality.

The food coming out from the restaurant at lunchtime looked amazing - we didnt have any so I cant comment but we tried the "french scones" which turned out to be butter cake with jam and cream . I didnt like it, so gave it to someone else. Once again, trying to be posh, but missed the mark.

Dinner was at a wedding setting. We had five courses and two of them were great - the rest I really didnt "get" and I would definitely class myself as a foodie. Perhaps it was the menu chosen didnt fit my tastes - but I wouldnt eat there again.

For the money, I really can't rate it any higher, but it is in a lovely setting, so I can understand why some people LOVE it and are swept away with the overall look but for me it was all smoke and mirrors

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Deemel
Reviewed 16 August 2012

After looking at Spicers as our wedding venue and set on having our wedding here I will not be using this place as imagined. My fiance & I went and had a look around and decided this was a beautiful spot for an intimate wedding. When visiting no one acknolodged us at all so we had a look around.. A beautiful setting & perfect with overseas quests coming. I sent numerous emails regarding wedding packages and noone got back to me. I called and spoke to the wedding co-ordinator who was 'getting back to me' with some quotes. which did not happen either. In this time I have found an amazing place to hold my wedding. It's a shame, if someone made an effort and got back to me I definately would have had our wedding their because I adore the place but this was enough to put me off and look elsewhere.. It makes me wonder what the staff would be like if we did decide to have our wedding here..

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank misschichi_12
Reviewed 11 July 2012

We enjoyed a weekend here. It was top notch despite the rainy weather. Lovely scenery and beautiful grounds. Only wish staff had mentioned leeches about near rainforest areas and you need to be aware. We returned from our walk and my husband had a couple of leeches on him. One of the staff immediately helped when mentioned but think should tell people. We had trip to Thailand last year where leeches were about and staff always watching out for and telling us to be aware. Only complaint for weekend.
Parisian breakfast was delicious also our degustation dinner. Room very comfortable with LOccitane toiletries. I also enjoyed a wonderful spa treatment. Definitely lovely place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 May 2012

My son and his fiance Jane chose Spicers Clovelly Estate as their venue to exchange theie wedding vows. What a great choise of venue.
From the time that Val and I arrived until we left to catch our flight back to Port Vila Vanutu we could not fault this venue. The wedding was aided by perfect weather throughout the weekend and as dusk gathered after the wedding a brilliant full moon lit up the night sky.
The attention to detail and the exquiste and very different food offerings was joy to behold. From the well planned breakfast tray for two to the last evening meal in the Long Apron restaurant we were never dissapointed.
I could not write this review without mentioning the bed and the pillows..we did think about how we culd take tham home with us..enough said they were a recipe for a great sleep as if the champagne and beer at the weddding did not have a similar effect.
The next time you and your partner need a getaway make Spicers Clovelly Estate at Montville your first choice...you will love it

Room Tip: The 3 suites in the main lodge building are great
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Thanks to the team for the most amazing stay for our party of 6 in the newly Reno cottage!!
Everything organized to perfection and so willing to cater for our requests.
Recommend at least one breakfast in cottage (delivered and set up for you!) and cooking school on Sat morning - what a hoot and learnt so much!
Grounds are stunning and views spectacular!
Beds best ever ... Decor in French rustic style a perfect backdrop.
Take walking shoes and bathers!

Room Tip: Cottage is great for small groups. Rooms for couples. Great wedding venue!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montville
Clouds of Montville
Spicers Tamarind Retreat
Secrets on the Lake
Secrets on the Lake
#1 of 9 in Montville

Been to Spicers Clovelly Estate? Share your experiences!