“Birthday Lunch”

Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We are locals and my birthday was coming up so we decided to go to Flame Hill for lunch. This is the first time we have been there.
WOW, why did we wait so long to go. This restaurant knows how to do sensational food.
I don't give out 5 stars very often, I have no hesitation in awarding it this time.

It was a cold day and when we walked inside there were two wood fires burning and the whole verandah was beautifully warm and inviting. The view over the vineyards and the rolling hills was beautiful.
The staff were very friendly and took us to our table and asked us if we wanted sparkling or still water and this was replenished all through the meal.
I had the duck, a rare breast carved, a croquet of shredded meat and a crispy skinned leg, served with wilted spinach and a lovely mango pickle.
My husband had the rabbit for entre and then the fish of the day (barramundi) and both were cooked to perfection.
We also had a couple of glasses of their own brand pinot gris and it was very good.
What a lovely way to spend a couple of hours relaxing and eating great food.
I can highly recommend Flame Hill restaurant and we will be going back soon.

1  Thank Brisbanelionsfan
There are newer reviews for Flame Hill Vineyard

Reviewed 19 April 2014

For a first time in Montville, my partner and I decided to experience a nice lunch at the local winery Flame Hill, beautiful weather, amazing scenery, very good location... some good components to make this experience unforgettable.... I was right for one thing the unforgettable experience...but not like I was imagining it... first impression of the place: great! beautiful view, complimentary wine tasting.
Lunch experience: the entrée was great (quail), delicious!
So our expectation for the main was high. My partner got the Cod and she was pleased!
Here comes the drama...I ordered my eye fillet RARE and unfortunately ended up being MEDIUM WELL...but at that stage I know mistakes happen (even if the difference between a Rare and medium well is quite big...isn't it chef???
Anyway, called the waitress (very nice girl by the way) to let her know about my meat and the first thing she said was "are you sure you don't want to eat it?it is going to take a while....Hummmmmm No, not when you are paying $46 (incl tax) for an eye fillet. So I waited....waited....waited (fair enough I got warned ;)) 20 min later...the waitress came and asked if we wanted some more wine... that is when my frustration started to build up.... YES please (I assumed this was on the house due to the inconvenience caused). I received my eye fillet nearly an hour after my entrée (my partner having to eat her main meal alone), this time it was cooked correctly but I could see some frustration on the plate with the beans chucked in the middle when it was supposed to come in a side plate...
ANYWAY...we asked for the bill and I politely said to the waitress that next time a meat isn't cooked as ordered by the client they could (let me remind you we are in a winery) offer a glass of wine for the inconvenience instead of charging for it....she was really understanding and answered me that she did ask for it but the management REFUSED IT................................
SO TO THE MANAGEMENT or whoever was in charge that day! Let me tell you one thing ( After working in a winery myself) it doesn't take much to make a customer leave happy even if he had a bad experience for one meal!!!!!! PLEASE GIVE SOME INITIATIVE/POWER TO YOUR WAITER BECAUSE THEY ARE THE ONE SELLING THE EXPERIENCE, I would have honestly forgotten/forgave the wait and the disappointment.... if only you would have let her do what she thought was right in this case....

This experience could have been memorable... but after a $160 bill for lunch we were expecting a little more consideration for our misadventure!!!! Instead I am spending my afternoon still frustrated by the experience and for the first time writing a comment on trip advisor.

2  Thank thefrenchfrog
Reviewed 15 March 2014

This was our second visit. The first time we did a wine tasting at the bar and then went into the restaurant and had the cheese plate and desert. It was excellent quality which was why we decided to return for lunch. We were three and we all had the fish which was delicious and beautifully presented. We had the deserts and a bottle of their Verdehlo. It was a great afternoon with great service and verandah views over the vines.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Birthday Celebration on the Terrace for lunch - just perfect!
A great country venue to enjoy the afternoon ,beautiful relaxing vista over the vineyards while you graize on gourmet food. Chose the Charcuterie Platter for 2 with an accompanying wine. Very satisfying with amazing array & assortment of local produce. Recommended. Below restaurant farmyard birds wandering vineyard and crowing add to the atmosphere and music in restaurant. I think I have died and gone to heaven. Good service.
Attentive waiter very informative and welcoming. A lovely afternoon experience!

Reviewed 18 February 2014

All round a good afternoon with great atmosphere and nice food.

Just needs a cash or quick drink bar to prevent the long queue at the bar for wine when the bus turned up, and yeah bigger grape barrels to stomp in!