“Winter fairy tale”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Genval
Zagreb, Croatia
“Winter fairy tale”
Reviewed 20 December 2013

It happens that I am visiting this hotel only in winter time, but it is really like a castle from an ancient fairy tale, particullary with the illumination seen across the lake.
With too much snow it can be a bit diffcult to move around, but the train station is very close and it is a good substitute for the case of snowy roads.
The hotel itself is nice, breakfast menu without any complaint, the only real problem for guests with heavy luggage are the long corridors and the first few steps to reach the (slow) elevator. But even in this case, the staff is friendly and helpful.
The checkin and checkout processes are very fast and efficient which is important for the business traveller.
I only hope to be able to come once in spring or summer and to explore more of the wonderful area.

Room Tip: The rooms at the end of the corridors are usually quieter - can be important if there is an event (e...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2013

When our first 3 choices were fully booked, we used our car's SatNav to find this hotel.
First impressions, from the outside, were quite good, even grand. The doorman / porter gave us cause for concern, looking more like a flunkey, and rather pretentious.
The receptionist was unfriendly, my wife recalls.
Perhaps it did not help that we arrived quite late, tired and hungry after a day's driving; but then again this is partly what hotels are, or should be, about, welcoming tired weary travellers with warmth, charm, and hospitality, all of which were lacking.
This was the last night before catching the Rotterdam ferry home, after a month long European tour. It was also the second most expensive, after an excellent 5 star Hotel in Portoroz, which was also good value. The Chateau du Lac was probably the worst hotel of our entire trip.
Enquiring the whereabouts of our room, we were waved in its general direction, then left to our own devices. It is necessary to negotiate some stairs before reaching the lift. The corridors were shabby and dingy, with scuffed wall coverings, trolleys, trays and other stuff obstructing them. In a 2 star hotel, this would have been disappointing but forgiveable, in a supposed 5 star hotel, it is almost fraudulent.
The bedroom, which was supposedly an upgrade as it had a lake view, was worse. We are aware that most hotels now use low-energy lighting, but in some hotels it feels like a money saving trick rather than a green, planet-saving effort. Perhaps it was so guests could not discern the dirt, stains, and general neglect. The next morning I took some photos, a few of which I later posted on a well known photo-hosting website, with appropriate descriptions.
If we had not been tired, we would have eaten, here or elsewhere, then driven on until we found somewhere, anywhere, better. In fact, this year, on a similar trip, we did indeed find a much better alternative, using Trip Advisor or course.
I always feel cheated when we receive such poor value, and my wife agrees.
We tend to avoid the cheap and cheerful budget chain hotels, but if faced with an alternative, we would choose one in preference to the Chateau du Lac, at least their bedrooms and corridors are usually clean, and their public rooms and reception areas are not pretentious.
We did get dinner in their restaurant, which was good.
We both formed the impression that many of the other guests were on corporate freebies, or possibly golfing breaks. Perhaps the type of guest who enjoys enough alcoholic drinks, and is not paying their own bill, fail to notice or care about the state of their bedroom or bathroom.
At breakfast, it seemed we were being rushed, and the staff keen to clear up and go or prepare for lunch, even though we were not late.
If Martin's offered to pay for us to stay, we would certainly refuse, as politely as we could, which might require some restraint. We have already decided to avoid any and all Martin's hotels permanently.
After we arrived home, I looked at some of the existing Trip Advisor reviews, and was surprised to find quite a number of positive ones.
This is my first negative review on T.A., and I hope it can be the last one. I much prefer to write positive reviews.
I have just realised that we checked in on what Americans would call 9/11, which leads me to think how this hotel could be improved.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Emmanuel D, General Manager at Martin's Chateau du Lac Hotel, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear Lawrens_Chard,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments with us. It is nice to hear you enjoyed your dinner in our restaurant Genval.Les.Bains. Unfortunately, it looks like we missed several opportunities to make your stay up to your expectation and I address my sincere apologies for that.
I regret that you have not informed us about your disappointment during your stay in order take necessary steps to reach your complete satisfaction.
Your loyalty is important to us and I've shared this with my team. We're committed to doing everything we can to make it right in the future. Please let me know (ed@martinshotels.com) when you will plan your next arrangement.

Kind regards

Emmanuel Didion
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We stayed there over a long weekend and wanted also to profit of the SPA facilities. Not ONLY that one finds out that if we wanted to use these facilities, we need to pay EUR 30 per person during the stay in order to be able to do so, but when we finally arrived there, it was over crowded, no relaxation beds and no place to put them, a miniscule swimming pool and instead of relaxation one gets stressed entering this overcrowded area. Furthermore the staff was overwhelmed by the amount of guests at breakfast, either you had to wait to get a place or they did not clear up the table quick enough, so that also guests themselves cleared and cleaned the tables in order to be able to have breakfast. And when we ordered some more yoghurt at the breakfast buffet (the creamy one in the glass bowl) it took ages (more than 20 minutes to arrive).

Room Tip: Ask for a room with lake view - the location of the hotel is perfect directly at the lake, so romant...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 26 October 2013

The service was very good but the rooms can be a long walk from the reception depending on where you get your room. The restaurant had very little vegetarian options and I being one was very disappointed.However,the breakfast buffet choice was very good with a lot of options. The hotel is located in a nice calm area close to a lake.The fitness center was very good with many equipments. This hotel is about 30 minutes drive from Brussels City. A taxi ride may cost you around 50 Euros to the Airport.

Room Tip: Try to get a room closer to the Reception.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

It was a nice stay, excellent staff. The rooms are huge but the furniture is dull and boringly anonymous. Beware that the swimming pool is NOT included in the room price and that it would cost you a hefty 30€ tog et access!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 15 October 2013

The view is gorgeous and the dinner was excellent (Thai sea bass and a lovely glass of white wine). Breakfast is serve yourself and I only found the coffee because another guest had to track down a server to ask if they were going to be bringing any by.

For what this room costs and for how the website portrays the place, I was shocked when I finally made it down the lonnnnnng corridor to my room, I was greeted by: old furnishings, a hideous polyester top sheet on the bed, tired cheap-looking furniture, thin towels (one of which was dirty, yuck!) and the already ugly carpet was stained with Lord knows what (by the bed no less.) Also, for the place catering to conference attendees, would it kill them to have an iron in the room? I'm sorry, but those British trouser press contraptions are useless for a ladies blouse with silk details.

Far too expensive drinks at the bar, pricey menu and I have a view of bushes and a walkway…Disappointing to say the least: oh well, at least he wifi is decent.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the lake.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
brussels
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I booked this hotel because in Brussels everything was full on those dates and I needed a place where to stay. I like Genval, already knew the hotel but never stayed there.
Reception at check-in was friendly and fast. Room was large and clean, as well as the bathroom. Sleep was quiet.
Overall there was nothing bad about this hotel but nothing exciting either. It is more suited for congresses than for a personal leisure stay. Style is more like an airport Novotel than a 5 star they pretend to be. From what I’ve seen I wouldn’t chose it for a relaxing getaway.
If looking for some flaws, I’d say:
- The rooms are located on an endless, endless corridor, so if you’re given a room at the end, you walk a lot.
- The spa has gym classes and they put music full blast. It’s located on the 4th floor. We kept hearing the thumping of the basses each time non stop for an hour (first class at 9 am, last class until 10pm): dum, dum, dum, dum, dum + yelling of the teacher. So at least avoid 3rd floor because we could hear the noise till the second one.
- I didn't enjoy the food and found it very overpriced but there are not many places around where to eat.

Room Tip: Avoid being under the spa and gym. Avoid en of long corridor.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Genval
Dolce la Hulpe Brussels
Martin's Grand Hotel
#1 of 5 in Waterloo
Leonardo Hotel Wavre
The Royal Snail Hotel

Been to Martin's Chateau du Lac Hotel? Share your experiences!