“Two Night Stopover plus great beer!”
Review of The Red Lion Inn

The Red Lion Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Cricklade B&B and Inns
Llanarmon-yn-Ial, United Kingdom
“Two Night Stopover plus great beer!”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stayed for a couple of nights while visiting the National self build and renovation centre in Swindon. We were intending to stay in Swindon, but I discovered this inn on Trip advisor and found it would only be a twenty minute journey to the centre.

We stayed in room five, which was located in the courtyard up some metal steps. The bed was a bit too firm for my liking, maybe just a personal view , it would have maybe benefitted from a memory foam topper, but I didn't sleep too badly considering how hot it was. There was a fan in the room. I heard no road noise, although in the summer noise carries from the courtyard if people are drinking late at night.

The shower was very good pressure and the bathroom very well lit. lovely shower gel etc..

Breakfast was good and very filling, the first morning we were time bound, but thanks to the speediness of the lady serving us, we managed to have cereal, cooked breakfast and toast!

Considering the volume of people passing through the establishment in the evenings, the food was very good. I had intended to have a tasting session of all of the guest beers, but am ashamed to say that after tasting the Red Lion's own brews, Hope Kettle Brewing Company, I fell in love with Tricerahop, a triple hopped beer and stayed on that. I loved it so much, we purchased a five litre keg (£18.00) to consume back home.

I think the two ground floor rooms allow you to take your dog with you overnight, so if we come back again and plan some walking, we'll bring our dog. Dogs are allowed in the bar area and in the courtyard, not in the garden, grass area though.

Room Tip: ground floor would be cooler.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Great Missenden, Bucks, UK
Reviewed 28 July 2014

The paeons of praise that follow should be read in the context of an archetypal English pub: not against a template for a five star hotel. On the accommodation front there are some significant idiosyncrasies, some just quaint and others somewhat irritating: like the lack of a mirror within flex-length of a hair-dryer (the built-in dryer in the bathroom was "Out of Order").
Our party of Granny, Grandpa and grandchildren aged 13 and 10 used the Red Lion as a staging post for the first couple of days of the Thames Path Walk: our package was breakfast, dinner, accommodation and breakfast,
Breakfast no. 1 certainly set us up for the day. The customary self-service juice-and-cereal buffet was well provisioned. The freshly cooked "real meals" were as tasty as they were plentiful: 10/10 on both counts. Service was cheerful and appropriate.
On our return after walking for seven hours under a burning sun, the whole place was buzzing, both inside and in the extensive garden. That buzz continued from afternoon right through the evening, the clientele being an eclectic mix of dedicated local beer-drinkers, families and tourists.
We enjoyed the cool temperature and excellent abluting facilities of our spacious bedrooms before repairing to the bar for our informal dinner. The epithet "bar snack" would be wholly inappropriate. Each of our four choices, as a single course, presented a challenge to appetites stretched by a lot of exercise and not much lunch! All dishes were excellent and great v-f-m.
Mention should be made of the admirable (bearded) Mathew. He was ubiquitous and multi-tasked like the best of the best of women! On our first day he was on the go from opening to post-closure clear-up, ever cheerful, efficient and obliging. He exemplified the performance of an industrious, competent and friendly staff.
This is a great place to stay; especially if you enjoy a variety of real cask beers.

Room Tip: All good: 1 accessed from courtyard at ground level. Access stairs to 2,3,& 4 rather steep. Th...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Hook, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We booked the Red Lion because of the great reviews here and one personal recommendation a few months ago. There were four of us: my wife and I and another couple, planning to walk a section of the Thames Way. We arrived on Friday evening and stayed one night.

Our room was very good: quite large with low ceilings (it is an old building with exposed beams and very charming). Lovely firm bed. Large ensuite bathroom. The locking handle on the bathroom door was broken but otherwise all was good in the room.

We went down to dinner just after eight. They have many local beers and the waitress suggested I have a selection of three (1/3 of a pint of each) which is a lovely idea. The menu, though small, looks mouth watering. For supper, two of us had the Devon lamb. This was disappointingly tough; by no means inedible but not the succulence I had hoped for, The other two main dishes were (monkfish and risotto) were extremely good. As we were about to order dessert, the waitress, who was friendly and helpful, explained they had run out of rocky road ice cream. That was fine: I was perfectly happy to take choc chip ice cream with my hot chocolate pudding and the other pudding was ordered with banoffee ice cream. Three desserts arrived: after a minute or so the waitress came over to explain they had just run out of banoffee ice cream. A substitute was chosen, but by the time it arrived three of us had almost finished our desserts (which were delicious). It took a while to get the bill.

The following morning, breakfast service was a bit slow. This caused a little chagrin as we wanted to get out on the trail.

In summary, the positives:

- good rooms
- very comfortable beds, which gave us a great night's sleep
- a lovely menu
- very pleasant and helpful staff

The niggling negatives

- broken bathroom door lock
- slow service
- tough lamb
- running out of ice cream (how can this happen at the beginning of the weekend?)

Three stars or four? I am sorry to come down on the side of three stars. It may be four as I write this, but a few minor maintenance issues and blips on the food front means it's three.

We may well come back. It may well be worth four stars if we do. However it wasn't this time.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Worcester Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We have just returned from a 5 day stay in South Cerney and we ate at this pub twice in the 5 days we were there!
My husband had read about the Red Lion in the CAMRA beer guide so was desperate to try it out especially as they are now brewing their own beers under the name Hop Kettle Brewery. We arrived at the Red Lion after a 2 hr bike ride (consisting of us getting lost) and whilst I wanted to try one of their ales I was far too hot so went for a Camden Hells Lager and my husband had the Hop Kettle Respect your elders which was gorgeous and tasted really fresh. The barman and the lady who I assume was the manager was so friendly and let us try a sample of the beer before making our decision. We had a very grumpy 14 month old with us having been stuck on the back of a bike and the staff were so friendly and chatty with him that it really made my husband and I feel welcome as coming from just outside London we find that you are not always welcome places with a grouchy baby! We then ordered the Ham and Mustard Sandwiches with a side of skinny fries. I have never seen such big sandwiches and the cuts of ham in there were huge as well. We were so impressed with the food that we made a reservation to come back for dinner the next night. We arrived for our table at 6.30pm and I tried one of their special beers called Gingelmi(??) which is one of the nicest bottled ales I have tried in a long time and my husband had the Ticerahops which again he said was really crisp and fresh. I ordered the steak and my husband ordered the special burger with pancetta and smoked cheddar. Again all of the staff were absolutely wonderful with our 14 month old and I can honestly say we have not experienced friendliness like this before. They constantly talked to him and made sure that we had everything we needed to keep him occupied. Before our mains came we were brought home made bread and home made smoked butter which I have not tried before but which was very nice. Then the mains came! I had ordered the recommended beer to go with the steak but they didn't have it so instead they brought me a Francisco Liberty Ale-WOW! It was like a glass of wine not a glass of beer it was so nice and complimented the steak wonderfully. My husband and I both agreed that it was probably one of the nicest meals we have ever eaten and after eating steak regularly at Gaucho in London and most recently Hixter I can hand on heart say this steak was nicer as it was so full of flavor and cooked medium rare to perfection. We finished off with the salted caramel chocolate tart which with banoffee ice cream which looked and tasted as if it had come straight from a Masterchef final. The lady manager then called a taxi from a local taxi driver to save us money from using a firm from Cirencester which I thought was very helpful as well. All in all we were completely blown away by this village pub. Good beer, food and hospitality really do go a long way. Cannot wait to return next year.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kelly L
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I stayed in the Red Lion overnight on the last leg of my walk to the source of the Thames, and am glad to chosen this establishment. The staff were polite and attentive, my room was very spacious, clean, very well appointed (including free wifi), and looked to have been recently refurbished. My bed was very comfortable and allowed for a good night's sleep.

Breakfast the following was first rate: one of the main plus points about the Red Lion is the fact that it supports local businesses by locally sourcing most of its food and this showed in the quality of my traditional "full English."

So all in all, the combination of a good room, good service, and good food made for a very enjoyable stopover, and I have no hesitation in recommending the Red Lion to others.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Thame, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Whilst walking the Thames Path last week we were most impressed by our first nights stop at this lovely inn. Our room was modern and contained all you need for a comfortable nights stay. The inn itself is vibrant and there is a wide variety of ales, including their own brews. The menu was less extensive than detailed in their room guide, but I could recommend the fried fish in a crisp batter. Price wise it was very similar to our other accommodation through the week. Overall a good stopover.

Room Tip: Not sure, as our room 4 does overlook the back garden and kitchens, so as one might expect, there is...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Builth Wells
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Stopped just for a night en route home. Buzzing inn with good food and selection of beers etc. Newly refurbished room with all mod cons. Had our dog with us and as this was a new room wasn't allowed in but they do have other pet friendly rooms but they were full. Car parking could be an issue but we were lucky.

Room Tip: New rooms very smart
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cricklade
Cricklade House
#6 of 24 in Swindon
The White Hart Hotel
The White Hart Hotel
#2 of 4 in Cricklade

Been to The Red Lion Inn? Share your experiences!