“The best pub around”

The Red Lion Inn
Ranked #3 of 13 Restaurants in Cricklade
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: This pub is already listed but as a B&B.
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I moved from Belgium to Swindon last year and - being fussy about beer - I was recommended this pub by one of my colleagues. I have to say I was not disappointed. Not only the beer selection is amazing (I really like the fact that they have a microbrewery on site) but the food is also very good. I have visited several times since then with my family for lunch but also with customers for dinner and people usually like the place very much. The staff has always been very friendly including with children. My daughter likes playing with other children in the beautiful garden while we eat outside on a sunny day.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We have eaten at the Red Lion many times and it was one of our few 'bankers' in the Swindon area where you could guarantee a good meal; unfortunately this is no longer the case.

Having booked recently for a Friday evening dinner in the restaurant we arrived to find the bar very, very busy and a single waitress trying to cope in the dining room.

It took an age (20 minutes plus) for our food order to be taken, the drinks having arrived after 10 minutes or so. When the food did eventually arrive it was very disappointing and was nothing like our previous experiences - especially the ribeye steak which was overcooked and tasteless, the uncrispy big chips full of black bits where the potatoes hadn't been properly prepared, the undercooked field mushroom, plus the grey greasy lyonnaise potatoes and afterthought tasteless mint jelly cubes that came with the lamb dish.

The standard was so poor that my wife couldn't eat her ribeye steak meal, which in the past has always been excellent, and we didn't pay for it. It turns out that since our last visit earlier in the year there is now a different chef, which we suspected as soon as we saw the food, and unfortunately the standard of the food appears to have deteriorated as a result.

We didn't hang around for desserts or coffees but went instead to a local Thai restaurant where we had 2 main courses, rice and 2 drinks and very nice it was too, especially all for the price of the Red Lion ribeye steak meal.

The beer and wine at the Red Lion were nice, as was the fresh bread in a pot but we won't be going back any time soon.

1  Thank Milders2014
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We were part of a party of approximately 17 celebrating a birthday. Although late arriving we were accommodated alright. However the service was very slow and appeared to be grudging! The food was different but mostly OK although not much of it. Also as mentioned in another review, parking was a problem with us having to park way past the school. It would have been handy if the parking issue was made clear on their website. We would have to be well within the area before considering going again!

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Tried this restaurant as a colleague was staying in one of the rooms.
Monday night and place was very busy with no spare tables inside, so sat outside in the large garden area.
Ordered the buger and triple cooked chips @ £12.50
Very tasty burger well presented and cooked as requested and excellent chips . would recommend even though it was slightly overpriced in my opinion.
Great choice of beers and an onsite brewery make it worth a visit.
Also tried breakfast one morning and at £8.50 was good value and very tasty.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Traveling in the area from the US. Locals told us we need to go here for dinner. We were not disappointed. Great food and service.