“Almost Perfect”
Review of The Red Lion Inn

The Red Lion Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
The Red Lion Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 13 Restaurants in Cricklade
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: This pub is already listed but as a B&B.
Baldock, United Kingdom
“Almost Perfect”
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

After driving from London we needed to stop for some food with us stopping here in part from the Tripadviser report. Although I understand some of the previous comments personally we had no complaints about the quality of the food apart from the fish. One of the group had the Fish, Chips & Mushy Peas and the fish was less than a third of the battered haddock. They still enjoyed the meal and when we come back this way we will definitely return.

United Kingdom
“Great drinking pub”
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

The service was slow but to be fair the pub was busy. The wide choice & range of cider & beer is excellent. Unfortunately the same cannot be said about the food as I felt the selection was extremely limited. The food was not cheap but I was hoping for great value unfortunately something as simple as Ham, egg and chips let me down and certainly was no better than average.

Great venue, wonderful big garden and superb drink selection will encourage me back but not to eat.

Visited June 2014
East Molesey
“Nice pub for lunch”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We met up with a couple of friends and had a very pleasant lunch which was reasonably priced with good service in comfortable surroundings.

“The best pub around”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I moved from Belgium to Swindon last year and - being fussy about beer - I was recommended this pub by one of my colleagues. I have to say I was not disappointed. Not only the beer selection is amazing (I really like the fact that they have a microbrewery on site) but the food is also very good. I have visited several times since then with my family for lunch but also with customers for dinner and people usually like the place very much. The staff has always been very friendly including with children. My daughter likes playing with other children in the beautiful garden while we eat outside on a sunny day.

Swindon, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We have eaten at the Red Lion many times and it was one of our few 'bankers' in the Swindon area where you could guarantee a good meal; unfortunately this is no longer the case.

Having booked recently for a Friday evening dinner in the restaurant we arrived to find the bar very, very busy and a single waitress trying to cope in the dining room.

It took an age (20 minutes plus) for our food order to be taken, the drinks having arrived after 10 minutes or so. When the food did eventually arrive it was very disappointing and was nothing like our previous experiences - especially the ribeye steak which was overcooked and tasteless, the uncrispy big chips full of black bits where the potatoes hadn't been properly prepared, the undercooked field mushroom, plus the grey greasy lyonnaise potatoes and afterthought tasteless mint jelly cubes that came with the lamb dish.

The standard was so poor that my wife couldn't eat her ribeye steak meal, which in the past has always been excellent, and we didn't pay for it. It turns out that since our last visit earlier in the year there is now a different chef, which we suspected as soon as we saw the food, and unfortunately the standard of the food appears to have deteriorated as a result.

We didn't hang around for desserts or coffees but went instead to a local Thai restaurant where we had 2 main courses, rice and 2 drinks and very nice it was too, especially all for the price of the Red Lion ribeye steak meal.

The beer and wine at the Red Lion were nice, as was the fresh bread in a pot but we won't be going back any time soon.

1 Thank Milders2014