“Excellent weekend break.”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cricklade
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Excellent weekend break.”
Reviewed 17 October 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Cricklade on a two night weekend break from Friday14th to Sunday 16th October on a Dinner Bed and Breakfast tarriff. What a superb break, the service, the cuisine, the accommodation, everything about this hotel makes us feel we will want to go back there again and again. The staff are so attentive they give you the impression that they would "walk the extra mile" to ensure that guests want for nothing during their stay. I would strongly recommend this hotel to any one looking for a relaxing, good value weekend away.
Jeff Burns

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jeffburns

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
London
Reviewed 16 October 2011

My husband and I recently stayed here for a few nights for our anniversary. We had seen on the BBC just before we stayed that Cricklade was named champion in the Britain bloom awards which made us look forward even more to coming to the area as its in the cotswolds. From the moment we checked in to when we left the staff were helpful and so cheery. We booked a four poster room which had stunning views over the golf course and across Wiltshire. it was clean and tidy perfect for a good nights sleep as we were here to explore. We had dinner one evening in the dining room which was lovely, the staff again couldn’t do enough for us, then we relaxed in the lounge with a chilled glass of wine on the squishy sofas. I have to say that after reading a few of the previous reports we were a bit unsure, however you don’t know until you try and we have to say we loved it! Cannot wait to return.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Haslemere, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Really enjoyed our stay here. Treated ourselves to a massage which was lovely. The pool area is nice although does need a bit of attention due to peeling tiles. The food in the restaurant was superb. We had a lovely room with a four poster bed and excellent views over the countryside. Would certainly like to return.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2011

My mum and I stayed here for 1 night last week - we were specifically looking for somewhere where we could collapse on squishy sofas and read glossy magazines while someone else brought us cups of tea! Our only other criteria was that there had to be a swimming pool. Cricklade house was significantly cheaper than anywhere else I looked at and having read a few reviews I was slightly nervous. However, as soon as I arrived I realised it was the perfect choice. There was the light-filled lounge/conservatory with lots of comfy sofas, a wide range of magazines and newspapers and a very nice cream tea for two. My standard room was large, had a beautiful view, good bathroom, spotless fresh white bedlinen and a view over the golf course. The biggest surprise was that dinner was absolutely superb. My mum doesn't meat and I'm completely vegetarian - we both had outstanding meals, mine was the best meal I've had in ages. I didn't like the wine but that's of course a completely subjective thing, the list was good, I just made a poor choice.
There are some downsides that perhaps explain why it doesn't cost more - 1) the staff were available and willing but seemed extremely inexperienced, and the three who I addressed various questions to all had to go and check. The maitre d' also seem over-anxious and a bit flappy - could it be that the tyranny of Tripadvisor is making stress-balls out of everyone in the hospitality industry?
2) In the restaurant we had a lovely table for two in the conservatory which was the perfect atmosphere, but the main body of the restaurant was very brightly lit and lacking in evening ambience.
3) The smallish swimming pool itself was clean with a fully glazed wall overlooking the countryside but the roof tiles were flaking off and other bits of the hotel were very slightly shabby. However, the library was being restored while we were there so maybe the whole thing is being redecorated soon, I didn't ask.

All in all I would rate this as excellent value for money for a relaxed break. I intend to come back regularly with various friends for overnight stays and have already asked about the hotel's Christmas packages.

Room Tip: When I stayed there the bedroom was very warm despite turning off the heating and opening both windo...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
UK
Reviewed 25 September 2011

Went back again in August on the Travelzoo offer. Once again we had a lovely time, same room everything you need and very clean.
Staff are very friendly, the meals in the restaurant were really of a good standard and presented really well. Lovely place to stay.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Hampshire
Reviewed 4 September 2011

Had two nights here on a Travelzoo offer, I was somewhat worried having read the previous reviews however my fears were unfounded. We had a lovely spacious room overlooking the golf course, the room was clean & comfortable, nice thick towels provided, fixtures a bit dated but perfectly adequate. Staff very helpful & friendly, we had 2 great meals and the wine prices started from about £23 for decent quality wine, which is no more than I would expect to pay in a hotel or nice restaurant. The continental breakfast was plentiful with a good choice of cereal, pastries, fruit & yoghurt. Although there was 2 functions on during our 2nd night we were not disturbed by noise. We used the golf course which was small but well maintained, we did not use the spa as we were staying there to walk to The Source. I would stay here again & would recommend to our friends

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Bexley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2011

Just got back from a 2 night stay at this hotel. I think it's a nice place in a nice location, very central to all of the little surrounding Cotswold villages etc. However this hotel has problems, some of them big. Firstly and most importantly was the lack of heating in our room, it was freezing. I would of been warmer if I slept on the lawn outside, we put up with it the first night, but on the second we went to reception and complained. We were told that they have been having problems with the heating and offered us a little electric fire that took the edge of the coldness. Secondly was that when the hotel is catering for a wedding that seems to be every night the staff can not cope with the paying hotel guests along with the wedding guests, there is not enough space, in the lounge, the bar and the dinning area. At breakfast this morning we had to wait over 30 mins just to be seated, and then another 30 mins before our food arrived. The staff are simply rushed off their feet, they are very helpful, polite and curtious, but stretched to the limit. We had a nice 2 course meal last night which was tasty and of good quality, but the noise coming the function room was annoying. I would recommend a more separated area for the wedding guests to stay in. Also the main entrance of the hotel was cluttered with wedding guests and their children enjoying a cigarette outside the revolving doors, not a great first impression to create. Perhaps the construction of a smoking shelter around back would be better. Lastly I would like to mention the £15+ cream tea we had. Again because their was a wedding on and the staff were running around the waitress brought out a pot of tea and a coffee whilst we were seated in the conservatory, and about 20 mins later she returned with the sandwiches and cakes. Ok the sandwiches were fine, but when it came to the scones it all went very wrong. They were crematted, we had already drunk our tea and coffee before the rest of the items came out or the drinks would be cold to. I think the kitchen staff need to be taken to the National Trust coffee shop at Corfe Castle to see how it's really done.

To sum up.

This could be a nice hotel but they are trying to do to much with to little. I suspect that the management team or owners etc want maximum money in with minimum effort or investment. That is really hurting this hotel, it's a completive market. There are many nice hotels in the surounding area, and they are cheapening themselves. As I have already said the staff are excellent and a credit, but to get me back at the Cricklade Country Club there would need to be a new approach and understanding of good customer care and focus from the people who run this hotel, because it is set up to take your money but give you sub standard service. If it was not for the staffs hard wook I would of scored this hotel in the lowest category.

• Stayed August 2011
3 Thank JSALondon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cricklade
De Vere Cotswold Water Park
#1 of 1 in Wroughton
Stratton House Hotel
Stratton House Hotel
#5 of 8 in Cirencester

Been to Cricklade House? Share your experiences!