“Two night stay”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cricklade
Poole, United Kingdom
“Two night stay”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

My husband and I stayed for two nights on a Travelzoo deal - £99 bed and breakfast, and a three course dinner each.
We had a most enjoyable stay, and enjoyed the food. All the Staff were good too.
My husband played nine holes of golf and enjoyed the snooker room.
Our room was comfortable.
We went on two cycle rides and explored Cirencester.

Room Tip: No lift. We stayed in the main hotel, with nice views across Wiltshire.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
London
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Stayed here overnight on a Travelzoo bed, breakfast and 3-course dinner deal with another couple. We decided we would like tea and cake mid-afternoon on Saturday to see us through until dinner, but there was a wedding on and this unfortunately meant everything else in the bar/kitchen area was pretty much at a standstill while they were being served their meal. We ventured into Cricklade itself - a very pretty village - in search of a teashop, but it was more or less closed, although we subsequently discovered there was more life there on Sunday morning.
Giving up on the tea we settled for a glass of wine and crisps, which was no hardship and the views from the conservatory at the back of the bar were stunning. Our room was fine; 'country-house' style and slightly old-fashioned and a little worn, but the bed had big soft pillows and duvet and the bathroom was very good, well-maintained, spotlessly clean with an over-shower bath that worked well and large fluffy towels. The view from the room was over the flat roof at the front of the hotel, but it was certainly good value for the money we paid.
When we went down to dinner the wedding party had colonised the bar while their evening entertainment was being prepared, so seats and service were in short supply, but once they had gone back in peace reigned. We did feel that there was a shortage of staff considering there was a function taking place - those that were there worked very hard and were very pleasant, but they could have done with some additional hands.
Dinner was served in the dining part of the conservatory and was faultless. Lots of crisp, white linen on the tables, attentive service and the food was cooked with flair and imagination; in my opinion they richly deserve their 2 AA Rosettes for Culinary Excellence.
Breakfast the following morning was also a good standard - enough choice including traditional full English, decent bread for the toast and everything freshly cooked to order rather than hanging around a self-service buffet table.
There was plenty of parking, the staff were pleasant and friendly - we didn't get to try the pool in the spa but there really didn't seem time as this was only an overnight stay - but overall we thoroughly enjoyed our visit and would return.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Bakewell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I stayed here this week in one of the rooms in the courtyard. Looks like it has had a makeover apart from the bathroom. Large room, perfectly comfortable if a little basic. Very quiet with lots of friendly staff. The bar and breakfast area are a little like going back in time. Would stay again for the odd night.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Westbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I was there for an overnight business meeting with about 50 people. They do this well. Parking and accommodation is fine and the large function catering is good. Although I wasn;t paying for the room - only the bar - prices seemed reasonable. There is a spa pool and golf, if you have the time.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I booked a three day break with amazon to this hotel and because it was a discounted deal I wasn't expecting much, how wrong was I. It is positioned just outside Crickade village, the village is a 9th century Saxon village which is quite charming. The hotel has a lovely long drive way with golf greens either side. The hotel is quite beautiful, with a lovely courtyard. The hotel staff are most welcoming and helpful. We had a four poster room which was lovely. The room was very clean, bathroom small but well equipped and the shower great. The room was nicely decorated with a large flat screen tv and tea/coffee/milk facilities in the room. Their were a few little problems like the antique wardrobe didn't open well, the large four poster was in view if the tv and their weren't enough shelves in the bathroom to put wet towels, but these were minor. Their is a swimming pool/steam room/sauna which looked very nice, but we didn't use these facilities. Our first night we had a three course meal which was in with the amazon deal, this was served in the conservatory which it very nice and they have a relaxing seatees next door where you can have coffee after your meal. The food was very nice, more like small portion pretty food. but to be honest their wasn't a lot of it and if you wanted vegetables these where at an extra cost. Breakfast was again in the conservatory which overlooks the golf course. We had a choice of continental or full English. Go for the full English as it's very good, the continental was not good as it didn't have a lot of choice of fruit, cereal or yogurts and I couldn't find any cold meat. Also on our last day, it was very sunny morning and the conservatory gets quite hot which unfortunatley made me perspire and with the sun on me I found it very difficult to enjoy my breakfast, they do have a section inside where you can eat. The breakfast staff are very nice, but look out for Janet as she is absolutely lovely, a caring person where nothing is too much trouble and full of local information on the area, a little gem.
Overall we had a lovely time, definitely had a bargain but feel that it's more for couples/golfers not families.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Took my mum to Cricklade House Hotel as part of a Travelzoo offer. I was expecting the accommodation to be less than perfect given that this booking was part of a deal, I couldn't have been more wrong. We had a twin room in the courtyard, room 6, which was perfect. The room itself could have been a family room given the size and the view we had of the golf course was beautiful. A light and airy room with 2 windows, comfy twin beds and plenty of storage. Tea/coffee facilities were more than adequate. Bathroom ok (didn't use the shower because we found ourselves showering after our daily swim). The swimming pool whilst needing a bit of an update was adequate for our needs. The only comment we fed back to the hotel was that as the changing room is quite restricted in size it may have been useful for residents to have a bathrobe so that they could then go back to their rooms to shower and change. Could not fault the food, every aspect of dining at the Hotel was superb. The 3 course A la Carte dinner was followed by tea/coffee and petit fours, which we found was more than ample. There was also a bar menu which you could order from with reasonable choices and prices to match.The attention to detail was also excellent and the staff couldn't do enough for you. Everything dealt with a friendly smiling face.The back of the hotel had a magnificent conservatory furnished with big comfy sofas which was ideal for relaxing in. The views from the conservatory reached for miles and with the terrace leading from the conservatory, this was the perfect place to soak up the surrounding area and enjoy a drink or two alfresco. The hotel also offers a nine hole golf course, a tennis court, a gym, a snooker room and beauty treatments to book. The Hotel catered mainly for couples or groups, I don't think it's really an ideal place for children, whilst it has a pool there wasn't anything else to occupy them. All in all we came away having had a very relaxing weekend in a lovely hotel and I will definitely be back with my husband next time :-)

Room Tip: Twin room - room 6 light, airy with views of the golf course and very spacious
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Well I am really not sure where to start with the treatment me and my husband received from this venue for what was the biggest day of our life.
Not that it should make any difference to any other big day but my husband volunteered in 2013 to go on his third tour of Afghanistan for 7 months in order to pay for our wedding and after this the disappointment served up by Cricklade House for our big day and the way the management and chairman dealt with us afterwards was nothing short of shameful.
Most of our guests where travelling from distance as my family are from Lancaster and my husbands also travelled from Devon so they all chose to stay the evening before. Even before the day of our ceremony I was told by a couple of our guests the Jacuzzi was not working the evening they arrived as the hotel emptied it for cleaning and also the Steam room was not switched on first thing in the morning, I was disappointed to hear this as many of our guests where looking forward to using the spa facilities in the hotel but it seems it was a spa hotel with no facilities that were actually working! This however was a minor glitch compared to what was in store for our big day.

On the day of our wedding ceremony and lead up to it everything went to plan until 1500hrs, after the ceremony the hotel unfortunately experienced a power cut. I have to say at this stage it was not the fault of the hotel, however the events that followed it and the way in which the situation was dealt with the hotel was fully responsible.

The hotel staff did not inform any of our guests of what was going on and in the end my husband and I had to go and seek out our wedding coordinator to find out what was happening, at this stage we were told it was a simple trip and would be sorted shortly. We waited a further hour and we then ended up in the hotel office with the manager, it was then it became apparent the hotel had absolutely no backup plan or any idea of how to deal with the power cut. The hotel is in a rural location but close to a very large town (Swindon) on a Friday afternoon and they had no backup plan for a power outage when they stage weddings and functions on a regular basis.

The manager sat me and my husband down and one of his first questions was “do you have insurance for this” he then informed us the power outage was a downed tree (it was actually a sub station) and the time scale to be fixed was how long is a piece of string? My husband asked what the plan was to deal with this and the manager straight away was talking of re scheduling our wedding and asking if we had the numbers for our band and drums display so we could cancel them coming. I was so upset that I burst into tears and went back to the bridal suite leaving my husband to try and sort things with the manager.

At no stage during our meeting with the manager did they try to rectify the situation or offer any solutions. We were basically told to wait out and if the power was not restored our wedding was over. We have spoken to many other venues in the area since and all the big wedding venues either have a backup generator or a contract for one delivered within a certain timescale in the event of situations like this, Cricklade House had neither.

At 1700hrs our guests where all still sat in the dark and should have been sat down for our wedding breakfast an hour before. The hotel put nuts and crisps out but our guests where now very hungry and way beyond crisps and nuts! As there was no idea when our guests would be fed my husband had to go cap in hand to management and ask them for some sandwiches for our guests as the children especially where now very hungry and getting grumpy. Our guests still had no idea what was going on and no announcements were made to them by any member of staff throughout the whole power cut. The staff finally brought out some sandwiches but drinks at the bar were cash only and the bar staff were not allowed to charge any to the rooms leaving guests without cash having to ask others to buy them drinks until power was restored. We were also promised £186 behind the bar for 2 guests that could not make it and this also didn’t happen, we were not reimbursed. This money was agreed by management instead of being refunded for the 2 guests.

At 1745hrs our guests were starting to become agitated and the atmosphere was falling apart so me and my husband went to find our wedding coordinator and requested that we do the speeches in order to raise spirits of our guests. The wine was brought out and we waited almost an hour for our wedding coordinator to organise things but he disappeared, in the end my husband and his best man took over as it was quite clear the management and especially our wedding coordinator had absolutely no idea how to deal with this situation and chose to spend most of the afternoon hiding in the office leaving our guests to fend for themselves. My husband made announcements to the guests and then we continued with the speeches.
At approximately 1900hrs (3 hours late) we were told our wedding breakfast was finally going to go ahead a generator was on its way to power our entertainment and food would be served around 1930hrs. Evening guests started to arrive as we were still eating and they were sent into the ballroom during the wedding breakfast, awkward!

I have to say the chef and kitchen staff deserve praise without suitable facilities or back up plan to serve our guests a meal but however unfortunate our meal was nowhere near the same or the same standard as the one we paid £89 a head for or tasted prior to the wedding. Cold starters and deserts were warm and not the same as ordered, such as different toast with the pate etc. Several guests informed us their main course was cold and it was also served with what was an inedible raw lump of potato, the chicken Wellington came out as just a fillet of chicken as they couldn’t do the pastry, it was also supposed to have rich gravy but it tasted like gravy granules! This was not an £89 a head meal I have been served better at a Toby Carvery for £5.99. Due to no backup lighting our guests couldn’t see what they were eating anyway.
The evening buffet was served around 2-3 hours after our wedding breakfast and was totally wasted as our guests had eaten so late they were not hungry. This was £800 thrown away.
Our evening was saved completely by our wonderful guests, the awesome band the Somerset Paddies and also Double Tap the black light drums display.

The next morning myself and my husband just wanted to leave the hotel but unfortunately the fun wasn’t over as we were greeted at reception by many of our guests who had barely any sleep due to generators outside their rooms and my chief bridesmaid who even had to sleep on the floor as she was given a room without a sufficient amount of beds. She received a 50% discount but this was still unacceptable I was very embarrassed by the whole situation.
Our photographer who did an excellent job in the conditions has only managed to save 60 shots of our wedding and we have no group shots etc as we could not use the ballroom we paid for due to light, the only place in the hotel light was good enough for pictures was the conservatory. When the generator did finally arrive the hotel didn’t have any stand alone or backup lighting anyway only candles. We also couldn’t use our bagpiper to pipe us into dinner as the meal was served so late he had to leave.

We had an excellent breakfast before we left which I cannot complain about as they do a very good breakfast.

The hotel at no stage have accepted any responsibility for the appalling way in which they dealt with the situation on our wedding day, they literally sat back and let our wedding turn into a calamity when the situation could have been easily resolved if the management and our wedding coordinator had any idea what they were doing and a plan in place for situations like this that can so easily happen.

I certainly would not recommend Cricklade House to anyone considering a function and definitely not your wedding as if things don’t go to planned the hotel are not interested in any complaints even if it is the biggest day of your life, it has been quite clear by the treatment we have received they had no interest the effect this had on me and my husband showing no compassion whatsoever. The hotel management and wedding coordinator have shown no integrity at all about the way in which they dealt with the events on our day telling the chairman a fairy tale version and he unfortunately chose to back them without even having the courtesy of sitting down with me and my husband to hear our side of things. My husband has asked for us on more than one occasion to meet with the chairman this was declined stating he was “too busy”.

Thank you Cricklade House for letting a small issue turn into a calamity and ruining the biggest day of our life.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
9 Thank Jessica B
Nico L, Director of Sales at Cricklade House, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
The management of Cricklade House would like to take this opportunity to acknowledge the events of 8th November 2013 and to address some of the points made in the above statement.
Whilst it is true that the hotel suffered a massive power cut that left us without mains power for 4 days, triggered by surrounding problems, the above statement from the wedding party is factually incorrect and an unwelcome response to a situation that was from all parties concerned a stressful day.
The hotel lost power at 3pm on the day of the wedding. For the Bride and Groom to suggest that the hotel did not inform the guests what was going on at this point is totally fictitious. One of the guests attending the wedding was a trained electrician and offered to look at the main power board in the hotel. His conclusion was that 2 phases had gone down, and this was repeated by this guest to the bride and groom in the hotel straight away.
The hotel had phoned the electricity company immediately to ascertain what was going on, however following our initial call, the electricity company failed to answer any of the further hotels calls and promises to return our original call were not met. Whilst this was not the concern of the Wedding party, and despite the best efforts of 3 members of staff, the hotel was unable to ascertain at this point exactly what had caused the problem.
The wedding party were due to sit down at 16.00. The hotel began to serve food to the guests in the lounge at 15.30 with sandwiches following at 16.00. The Head Chef had advised that within half an hour of the power returning we would be able to serve the wedding meal as planned.
At 16.20 the electricity company advised the hotel there was a tree on a power line in the local area and the engineers were already on site, the hotel demanded that the electricity company come to the hotel to conduct a survey to see if there were any other problems on site. The Bride & Groom were continually updated on the situation throughout the afternoon.
At 17.00 the Bride & Groom requested to do their speeches, all the guests were given their glasses of Prosecco, at which point the bride and groom went to speak to the Group GM about the situation. The hotel was still at this point trying to ascertain information regarding the power cut from the electricity company, and the Bride and Groom were given the available options.
At 17.20 the hotel was advised of a sub-station fault, all guests were at this point advised of the problem individually as staff gave out drinks vouchers. The speeches were started by the Groom as the last vouchers were being given out by the wedding co-ordinator and the bar staff.
After discussions with the Head Chef, the Group General Manager called the Bride and Groom in for a further meeting at which point they were told that we could prepare their meal for them with some changes, due to the fact that in the whole hotel there was one power outlet working and the extractor system had gone down, rendering all of our gas appliances useless. Whilst the food may not have been to the standard we would normally serve, to suggest that the hotel served cold food and gravy granules is nothing short of a total disgrace, considering the lengths our kitchen team went to, to try and offer the wedding meal.
The wedding party were sat at 18.00 not 19.00 and evening guests did arrive but were in the bar area not the main reception room.
By this point the first generator had been delivered to the hotel, ensuring that the evening celebrations could go ahead with the hotel disco and the entertainment booked by the Bride and Groom.

With regards to the evening buffet, the original buffet time was 21.00. The Wedding Coordinator checked with the Bride and Groom to ask if they would like to move this time and it was agreed, it would be pushed back to midnight as many guests had just eaten their meal. The hotel had prepared a cold buffet as well as their original choices incase the power had come back on with the grooms approval. At 22.00 the groom asked the Wedding Coordinator to bring the buffet forward to 22.30 as guests were now hungry, therefore we find it surprising that the Bride and Groom now choose to complain about the timings as it was entirely their decision.
The hotel was not informed of the problems by the electricity company until 8pm and limited power was restored at 20.30 as the wedding breakfast ended. The hotel was switched to generator power at 01.00 when the delivery from Poole arrived. There was unfortunately noise coming from the generator which was located near some hotel rooms, but the hotel clearly had no option at this point than to run off of the generator. Discounts were offered to guests affected by the noise upon departure.
It is unfortunate that the B&G have felt the need to alter the reality of the events of the day, infact the following morning an email was sent to the hotel saying “Thank you for your efforts last night in what I understand was a difficult situation” by the Groom.

It is unnecessary and unfair to apportion blame and point the finger, the hotel was without mains power for 4 days, this was not a simple power cut but one that resulted in the hotel car park being dug up to fix the problem. Whilst we totally understand the pain and frustration of the Bride and Groom on what should, like so many of our weddings here at Cricklade House, have been the best day of their lives, we believe that the statement above is a fictitious account of the events.

We also feel it important to point out that the Bride and Groom were met by a member of the Senior Management Team following the wedding and a mutually agreed settlement was reached.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cricklade
De Vere Cotswold Water Park
The Pear Tree at Purton
The Pear Tree at Purton
#6 of 24 in Swindon
The Crown of Crucis Country Inn and Hotel

Been to Cricklade House? Share your experiences!