“Read on to see what spoilt our visit”
Review of Cricklade House

Cricklade House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cricklade
Ilford, United Kingdom
“Read on to see what spoilt our visit”
Reviewed 22 March 2014

We have just returned from an overnight stay at this hotel. This was a gift from my daughter and we decided to upgrade to an Executive room for a small supplement. This was a good idea as we had a nice, spacious room with a balcony which would have been lovely to sit out in had the wind not decided to reach hurricane status!

Dinner was very good indeed. Service excellent, food choice and presentation first class. As a fussy eater, I asked for and got a change to my main course which was well appreciated. The Restaurant Manager was attentive and the evening most enjoyable.

My disappoint was with breakfast.

Not the actual food but why as a Travelzoo customer, was I asked to pay an supplement of £1.50 for a small glass of fruit juice?? I have stayed in countless hotels in the UK and abroad and I have never heard of this absurd supplement before. Why only Travelzoo customers?? If you want a particular fish for breakfast or maybe cheese for your dessert at dinner, I can understand that a supplement may be necessary but I think this is extremely mean. It left a sour taste after what was otherwise a nice break.

I also didn't appreciate being gawped at by staff whilst eating and finally, when people start to eat their cereal or fruit salad as in our case, please allow guests to finish and then clear their bowls away before plonking their full English on the table. Give us a chance!

Having said that, breakfast was perfectly acceptable and the table overlooking the golf course made for a pleasant experience.

I did query why only Travelzoo customers have to pay a supplement for a glass of juice and was told by Reception that she didn't really know but apparently this was the management's decision - what is that all about. Why not just increase the break by a couple of quid to absorb this ridiculous charge.

Oh and my husband thought the bath was dangerously slippery due to the lack of rubber mat or hand rail.

Would I come back - yes I would but would really like an explanation as to why fruit juice constitutes a supplement.

Room Tip: Upgrade and stay in the main building - bigger rooms, better view.
2 Thank crunchieH

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I was a guest at a friends wedding in November 2013 & the staff of Cricklade complex were abysmal!!!
On the day of the wedding there was a power cut.....we can accept that these things do happen but the staff failed to mention anything to us or any member of the wedding party.
Apart from friends there this would of been a terrible day.
The couple who were getting married were given no direction or explanation of what had occurred.

The next morning whilst checking out I had to ask staff for discount to which I was refused........I'd stayed in a hotel for 18 hours with NO POWER & I was refused any compensation.

Overall experience was a joke & I'll not be visiting ever again!!!!

• Stayed November 2013
6 Thank Kris5975
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2014

My husband and I stayed for two nights on a Travelzoo deal - £99 bed and breakfast, and a three course dinner each.
We had a most enjoyable stay, and enjoyed the food. All the Staff were good too.
My husband played nine holes of golf and enjoyed the snooker room.
Our room was comfortable.
We went on two cycle rides and explored Cirencester.

Room Tip: No lift. We stayed in the main hotel, with nice views across Wiltshire.
London
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Stayed here overnight on a Travelzoo bed, breakfast and 3-course dinner deal with another couple. We decided we would like tea and cake mid-afternoon on Saturday to see us through until dinner, but there was a wedding on and this unfortunately meant everything else in the bar/kitchen area was pretty much at a standstill while they were being served their meal. We ventured into Cricklade itself - a very pretty village - in search of a teashop, but it was more or less closed, although we subsequently discovered there was more life there on Sunday morning.
Giving up on the tea we settled for a glass of wine and crisps, which was no hardship and the views from the conservatory at the back of the bar were stunning. Our room was fine; 'country-house' style and slightly old-fashioned and a little worn, but the bed had big soft pillows and duvet and the bathroom was very good, well-maintained, spotlessly clean with an over-shower bath that worked well and large fluffy towels. The view from the room was over the flat roof at the front of the hotel, but it was certainly good value for the money we paid.
When we went down to dinner the wedding party had colonised the bar while their evening entertainment was being prepared, so seats and service were in short supply, but once they had gone back in peace reigned. We did feel that there was a shortage of staff considering there was a function taking place - those that were there worked very hard and were very pleasant, but they could have done with some additional hands.
Dinner was served in the dining part of the conservatory and was faultless. Lots of crisp, white linen on the tables, attentive service and the food was cooked with flair and imagination; in my opinion they richly deserve their 2 AA Rosettes for Culinary Excellence.
Breakfast the following morning was also a good standard - enough choice including traditional full English, decent bread for the toast and everything freshly cooked to order rather than hanging around a self-service buffet table.
There was plenty of parking, the staff were pleasant and friendly - we didn't get to try the pool in the spa but there really didn't seem time as this was only an overnight stay - but overall we thoroughly enjoyed our visit and would return.

Bakewell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I stayed here this week in one of the rooms in the courtyard. Looks like it has had a makeover apart from the bathroom. Large room, perfectly comfortable if a little basic. Very quiet with lots of friendly staff. The bar and breakfast area are a little like going back in time. Would stay again for the odd night.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Westbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I was there for an overnight business meeting with about 50 people. They do this well. Parking and accommodation is fine and the large function catering is good. Although I wasn;t paying for the room - only the bar - prices seemed reasonable. There is a spa pool and golf, if you have the time.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I booked a three day break with amazon to this hotel and because it was a discounted deal I wasn't expecting much, how wrong was I. It is positioned just outside Crickade village, the village is a 9th century Saxon village which is quite charming. The hotel has a lovely long drive way with golf greens either side. The hotel is quite beautiful, with a lovely courtyard. The hotel staff are most welcoming and helpful. We had a four poster room which was lovely. The room was very clean, bathroom small but well equipped and the shower great. The room was nicely decorated with a large flat screen tv and tea/coffee/milk facilities in the room. Their were a few little problems like the antique wardrobe didn't open well, the large four poster was in view if the tv and their weren't enough shelves in the bathroom to put wet towels, but these were minor. Their is a swimming pool/steam room/sauna which looked very nice, but we didn't use these facilities. Our first night we had a three course meal which was in with the amazon deal, this was served in the conservatory which it very nice and they have a relaxing seatees next door where you can have coffee after your meal. The food was very nice, more like small portion pretty food. but to be honest their wasn't a lot of it and if you wanted vegetables these where at an extra cost. Breakfast was again in the conservatory which overlooks the golf course. We had a choice of continental or full English. Go for the full English as it's very good, the continental was not good as it didn't have a lot of choice of fruit, cereal or yogurts and I couldn't find any cold meat. Also on our last day, it was very sunny morning and the conservatory gets quite hot which unfortunatley made me perspire and with the sun on me I found it very difficult to enjoy my breakfast, they do have a section inside where you can eat. The breakfast staff are very nice, but look out for Janet as she is absolutely lovely, a caring person where nothing is too much trouble and full of local information on the area, a little gem.
Overall we had a lovely time, definitely had a bargain but feel that it's more for couples/golfers not families.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cricklade
De Vere Cotswold Water Park
#3 of 8 in Cirencester
Kings Head Hotel
Kings Head Hotel
#2 of 8 in Cirencester

Been to Cricklade House? Share your experiences!