“Lack of appreciation for a couples BIG DAY.”
Review of Cricklade House

Cricklade House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cricklade
Reviewed 7 June 2014

After returning from a visit to friends who got married at this quaint yet ageing hotel and hearing of the sad treatment that has been received since the big day I feel it is only fair to put my view forward also. For reasons beyond the control of the staff, Yes there was a loss of electricity during the wedding day but more importantly there was a loss of pride and duty which I believe went much higher than the poor folk on the ground, who ran around working to a plan which was simply not in place. My wife and I did not want or expect drinks vouchers or free bees , we did not require or request discount on our very old ,tired and dated room. We simply wanted nothing more than for our very good friends to have a wonderful wedding day,whatever. I believe that it is in times of disaster when the effort rises and sets you above and beyond the call of your duty and makes you the venue to have your wedding because nothing is too much for your BIG DAY.
I believe that as a whole, Cricklade House let themselves down on this occasion. And I truly believe that if the management stopped hiding behind feeble excuses and positioned themselves in the shoes of the happy couple then they too would most certainly have felt let down also. I am of the old school and in my business I give my customers/friends whatever they request and sometimes this requires me to go that extra mile for them. Which is one of the reasons that they keep coming back. Unfortunately Cricklade house I myself shall not be coming back.

• Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank Bigcoat4

Reviewed 26 May 2014

The building and grounds create a wonderful impression on arrival. The views from the breakfast room are spectacular as well. I have always found the staff to be courteous and helpful. My issue with the place is the redevelopment. If seems a shame that with such a lovely building (which for reasons unknown they illuminate purple at night) they haven't retained a little more character in the rooms. The rooms are comfy enough but the whole thing feels a bit anonymous considering the wonderful setting. Breakfast is ok but nothing too special.

I almost feel bad giving it three stars but it really is only average when it could be great.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights, the end of March. It was a travelzoo gift voucher from my daughter. The hotel is in a quiet country location, bit old-fashioned but ok, the staff seemed friendly & helpful, and we had a lovely big room with a nice comfy bed, no complaints there. A three course meal was included, which was honestly, delicious, really enjoyed it, bit of a put off with the staff hanging around chatting though. The breakfast was also very tasty, although, for the life of me, I cannot understand why there is a supplement to pay for orange juice!!!!!!!
We would definitely stay there again, it was lovely & quiet.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JennieB44
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We recently had our mothers birthday party at this hotel and a good time was had by all. Friendly staff that do their best to make your event go well. The rooms were very good, clean well presented and reasonably priced, just a couple of small things that would make a big difference though, like two little bottles of shower gel, not one between two guests, if giving biscuits with the tea and coffee again two, not one would be good, same as the hot chocolate drink again two not one, it was as if the room was set for single occupancy, but it had towels for two. The room was lovely but the mattress needs to be thicker, as you turn over you can feel the base through the mattress.
The room for our event was laid out beautifully and our hot & cold buffet was prepared and served well good food good quality. Again the desert was very good especially the yummy cheesecake. Our bar was run well and to budget and the included disco was great, music played to match the age group present. A great night.
Breakfast was outstanding. Easily one of the best breakfasts I have been served up in a hotel and I have travelled quite a lot in the UK with my job.
The one thing that was a bit of a let down was that the pool was not open due to some technical difficulties with the level of chlorine in it. Many of our party had been looking forward to an afternoon swim, especially those with children but sadly it was not to be..
Overall though we had a good time was well looked after and would do it again. The things mentioned above will provide the icing on the cake. Well done Cricklade House.

Room Tip: We had a variety of people and families staying and all the rooms were good
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 April 2014

This is an hotel stuck in a time warp circa 1981. Few mid cons, grubby rooms, erratic service (we can't take American Expess in the bar...) and warm beer.
On the upside the good was good, the breakfast plentiful and the billiard room a nice touch.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank DrWolf
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We stayed here for a couple of nights on a voucher scheme which worked well. The hotel seems to have taken on board the earlier comments about charging for fruit juice, as we were not charged. The dinner was excellent, with very interesting and well presented dishes.
Our room was one of the ones in the courtyard, which was an OK size, but had a very small television and not much by way of toiletries (one small bottle of hair and body wash between us for both days).
As there was a birthday 'do' and a wedding on the days we were there we did feel a bit awkward sitting in the lounge amongst the guests. This hotel is perfect for group events, and I should imagine would be an excellent venue for a golfing weekend, but this could be at the expense of the atmosphere for singles/couples, unless you just used it as a base for the nearby Cotswolds towns.

Room Tip: Check with the hotel about group events before booking a room in the main part of the hotel, in case...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Another Travelzoo deal.
Stayed 2 nights with dinner on the 1st night. Room 46 in the main building.
Room was reasonable large, very quiet with a view of tennis court & countryside.Everything worked but the wifi was slow - took ages to download my newspaper.

Food was excellent & staff welcoming & attentive.
But I like others would query why a fruit juice is extra for somebody on a Travelzoo deal.
Breakfast was a good platefull fresly cooked & an extra pot of coffee was no problem.

Happily stay again

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cricklade
De Vere Cotswold Water Park
#7 of 25 in Swindon
Stratton House Hotel
Stratton House Hotel
#4 of 8 in Cirencester

Been to Cricklade House? Share your experiences!