“Great service”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cricklade
Newton Abbot, England, United Kingdom
“Great service”
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed there on a recent trip and it was truly superb, great hotel, clean and comfortable rooms, and most importantly really good service ethos amongst the staff, nothing was too much trouble, very friendly and would certainly go there again!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andy B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We booked a Four Poster Room as we were staying overnight as wedding guests. The welcome was was warm and efficient (despite the young lady on reception saying she was new). The views from our room were lovely and we could see rolling countryside for miles and it was the hottest day of the year (so far). My request for fan to be placed in the room had already been met and the curtains had been drawn to keep the room cool. We were looking forward to using the leisure facilities, but the Jacuzzi was out of order. To be fair, the pool and steam room area could do with some money spent on it. The ceiling tiles above the pool were seriously stained and dilapidated and steam room smelt very musty !! But despite that the whole stay was very memorable and we would be pleased to return. We especially enjoyed the conservatory and and patio area where we enjoyed a very good afternoon cream tea. Breakfast choices were good too. We had a small discount as part of the wedding party and I feel this was a fair price for a superior room and breakfast. i don't think I would pay any more until the leisure facilities were brought up to standard for this class of hotel. Good access for Swindon and Cirencester for shopping. Beautiful spot for nature walks and countryside and Cotswold Water Parks.

Room Tip: Rooms 28, 29, 31 have beautiful views
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Morag63
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Very welcoming hotel that is of a high standard. I booked this hotel afer looking at others in the area and booked a standard room with B and B and upgraded. We dined in and the food was way better than we would of expected. Staff and service was very good,. Normly stay at a Holiday Inn or Marriott but this hotel Faultless. Thank you.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 40 after upgrading and found a four poster bed. down side the odd person stood bel...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank andyandsarah2004
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

We were attending the air tattoo in fairford and thought it might be nice to stay local the night before. We found availability at the cricklade house hotel through lastminute.com and paid £64 for a small double room. To be fair it was ok for what we paid but I wouldn't have been happy to pay more. Staff were friendly, lots of great interior decor and features downstairs but the room was dated albeit clean. The pool was nice and the hot tub a nice added extra with stunning views but again, a bit out of date and run down. Not sure I would stay again but it suited us for one night

Stayed July 2014
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

A weekend break and the staff in the restaurant were very good. Housekeeping needs a bit of a shake up or at least a new duster! The boys on the breakfast duty were very helpful. Minor criticism the pool was cool. However, the steam room soon restored the equilibrium, and as there was no one else about it was good to be able to use it correctly rather than in the English fashion. To the lady who offered me a medal for braving the pool may we meet again.

Room Tip: We were in the annex and it was very peaceful and quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Tockenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2014

A busy day today for the Cricklade House Hotel but all was peaceful and welcoming when we arrived for afternoon tea. Plenty of sofas available for our group of six but on this gloriously sunny afternoon it would have been pleasant to sit outside. Our waiter said that the wedding party who were outside would be moving in soon and that duly happened and we were able to move onto the terrace with its fabulous views. The afternoon tea was beautifully presented with a good selection of dainty sandwiches and cakes and scones. I had preordered a dairy-free tea which was served separately and was an absolute delight. As you will no doubt appreciate, cream teas are impossible for me, but this was the best I have ever been served and that includes Cunard's QM2. Considering the catering for the wedding and all the additional groups such as ourselves, the trouble the kitchen went to for me was exceptional: delicious sandwiches, little biscotti, a rhubarb mallow and a delicate jelly; it certainly was a very pleasant surprise and much appreciated. Luckily I live close enough to return.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank T0ckenhamstr0ller
Crediton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

After returning from a visit to friends who got married at this quaint yet ageing hotel and hearing of the sad treatment that has been received since the big day I feel it is only fair to put my view forward also. For reasons beyond the control of the staff, Yes there was a loss of electricity during the wedding day but more importantly there was a loss of pride and duty which I believe went much higher than the poor folk on the ground, who ran around working to a plan which was simply not in place. My wife and I did not want or expect drinks vouchers or free bees , we did not require or request discount on our very old ,tired and dated room. We simply wanted nothing more than for our very good friends to have a wonderful wedding day,whatever. I believe that it is in times of disaster when the effort rises and sets you above and beyond the call of your duty and makes you the venue to have your wedding because nothing is too much for your BIG DAY.
I believe that as a whole, Cricklade House let themselves down on this occasion. And I truly believe that if the management stopped hiding behind feeble excuses and positioned themselves in the shoes of the happy couple then they too would most certainly have felt let down also. I am of the old school and in my business I give my customers/friends whatever they request and sometimes this requires me to go that extra mile for them. Which is one of the reasons that they keep coming back. Unfortunately Cricklade house I myself shall not be coming back.

• Stayed November 2013
3 Thank Bigcoat4
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cricklade
Blunsdon House Hotel, BW Premier Collection
#1 of 1 in Wroughton
Kings Head Hotel
Kings Head Hotel
#2 of 8 in Cirencester

Been to Cricklade House? Share your experiences!