“Cotswold chic”
Review of The Village Pub

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Barnsley
The Village Pub
Ranked #1 of 1 Barnsley B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Stayed for one night as part of a wedding party next day at Barnsley House. Considering we were quire a noisy party the staff were very efficient and helpful. Ate in the restaurant... a bit pricy but then always is in the Cotswolds. Breakfast was excellent with a large choice and good service.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

We booked this with some friends who had been before. Nice. Nice relaxed ambient atmosphere. The place had a good buzz about it without be intrusive to our party. Not really a pub but top class food and service would recommend. It was an enjoyable experience and one I look forward to repeating.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mike H
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I saw this when it was being 'done up' and always wanted to go, so it was particularly nice to eventually visit on a sunny day for lunch. We had booked a table inside, and I doubt if we could have found a space outside as it was very busy. The children were very happy with their fish and big chips - and fruit sorbets served in a cone is a brilliant idea. We grown-ups were very happy too, lovely food, and I was quite spoilt for choice as I thought all the items on the menu very tempting and reasonable. The service for the children was very good, but failed somewhat regarding the adults, water forgotten and so forth. In fact we were given a free bottle because of the mix-up, which we thought was clever as, because of that small gesture, we left feeling great. Only then did we realise that the poor staff were busy with a large private party, so they hadn't done too badly after all.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Husband loved it, I am not so keen. The room was uncomfortably hot - not the Village Pub's fault but did not make for a comfortable stay. Lots of cobwebs on the outside of the windows in the room… bed comfortable, pillows grim. I felt it was expensive for what we actually got (have stayed in 5 star hotels for the same price and slept better). Breakfast was ok - at this price I would expect freshly squeezed range juice, bacon was good, sausage - nice, poached eggs perfect. Croissants were good with nice choice of jam but…. the coffee was disgusting! I wonder if they clean their machine properly because there was a nasty sharp taste about it when it should be smooth and dark…. We ate there 2 nights. The liver and bacon was fab, the steak average (flavour was good but it was a bit dry - and I had medium rare). Best pudding was the burnt vanilla cream - yum! Staff are great. He'd go back, I wouldn't.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank gamekeeper
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Went for lunch on a sunny day so decided to eat outside. Noticed menu sticking to the table by jam from breakfast? Told waiter but didn't clean it. Food was terrific as was the service. Afternoon was spoilt by smokers, no ash trays on the table. If had known you could smoke there I would have eaten inside. Hotel, do something about this, the car park is only a few metres away.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Hobson60
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Stayed here for 1 night. Room was nice size with bath and shower.

Pub and restaurant downstairs were fantastic. Food was great and beer was well kept. Well worth a visit for food is you don't stay.

Not much to do in the Village so only stay on the way through to somewhere.

Would recommend.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Our second stay here and I booked the 'Even Smarter Pub Room' which showed a photo online of a normal bed with a settee in the room. Good, I thought, because the last time we stayed we had a four poster bed which I found claustrophobic. On checking in we were shown to a room which had a four poster and furthermore the en-suite had a claw foot bath with just a hand held shower attachment. I was not happy and complained to the young man on reception. There wasn't anything he could do as all the rooms were booked and occupied. I think that the website, when booking online, is very misleading as the room was not at all what I expected. In addition to the four poster bed, lack of a proper shower, the room is small (nothing like the size I expected from the online photo) with low beams and very subdued lighting. It was Room 6 (previously we stayed in Room 5) so be careful when booking online.

The room could do with a lick of paint as the decor was scuffed in places.

Choice of fayre at the buffet breakfast was poor. No muesli and on the first of two mornings the selection of fresh fruit was extremely limited.

Dining in the restaurant on a Wednesday evening we experienced very, very slow service. It took 30 minutes for a waiter to come and take our order and at that stage we hadn't been given a wine list. He provided one with the assertion 'I'll be straight back' but didn't return for 10-15 minutes. Later asked if we'd ordered dessert and no we hadn't because we were still waiting for our main course! The restaurant was significantly understaffed for the number of diners booked in.

On the positive side, the staff were very friendly and polite. The food was very good when it came. Nice to have access to Barnsley House just across the road. Good location.

Accommodation is not good value for money although the prices in the restaurant at VP were.

Room Tip: If you don't want a four poster don't book in to Room 5 or 6. If you book an 'Even Smart...