“Everything was perfect - Could not have asked for more!”
Review of Barnsley House

Barnsley House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Barnsley
Reviewed 2 January 2013

I stayed at the beautiful Barnsley House from 20th-22nd December 2012 and it was one of the most relaxed, enjoyable and pleasant stays I have ever experienced.

I had pre-warned the staff that I planned to get engaged during my stay and they could not have done anything to make our trip more special.

Everyone at Barnsley House worked with a smile and was always available to help make your stay the best they could. They even decorated our room with rose petals after I popped the question!

As well as lovely staff, the whole place itself is truly amazing. The rooms were to die for, the gardens were beautiful to walk through when lit up at night, the spa was perfect for relaxing and the private cinema was brilliant!

We ate at the local Village Pub on the first night where the prices are very reasonable and the food is nice but The Potager restaurant inside Barnsley House was even better. Breakfast was absolutely superb too, with so much choice!

The best way I can sum up Barnsley House is that there is not one bad word I can say about it. Everything was wonderful from the moment we arrived to the moment we left.

Barnsley House was the perfect location for our engagement and we were so impressed that we've enquired about Wedding arrangements in the future.

Thanks again to everyone at Barnsley House for such a wonderful stay. We'll be back!

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 19 and it was amazing. The best room I have ever stayed in! The plasma TV at th...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DemusPod

Reviewed 1 January 2013

Individually, there are many things that make Barnsley House worth writing home about: the rooms, the spa, the food, the countryside, the service and the general atmosphere to name a few. Together, these delights conspired to make our 2-night inclusive break in this little 18-room Cotswold charmery one of the best New Year’s Eves I can remember.
Having boldly left our house in the hands of our *caring* teenagers, my wife and I set out for the village of Barnsley and arrived only an hour after leaving the M25. It’s easily commutable from the Home Counties but it’s 100% pure Gloucestershire countryside once you’re there. Set in a small cluster of butter-coloured stone cottages, the Barnsley House team under Charmer-in-Chief Michele Mella has got everything right. They grow their own veges, lay their own eggs and pamper for England.
If you feel the need for a change of tempo and scenery The Village Pub only 50 yards from the Main House is part of the Group, has its own rooms and will serve you a pint of Hookie in a real country pub style.
Stand-out moments (aside from the Hookie) included the truffle starter and the scallops in the Potager Restaurant, a brutal but much needed massage in the Garden Spa followed by a dip in the hot (35 degree) outdoor plunge pool and the lone Piper who stood in full ceremonial dress outside the restaurant to bring in the New Year.
Can I find a down-side? No gym, no indoor pool and the interior a little too well heated but would I recommend Barnsley House? 1000% yes – we loved it and will revisit in the summer when the gardens will be in bloom. Happy 2013 everybody.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank John G
Reviewed 28 December 2012

We have just come back from staying over Christmas. From the time we arrived on c'mas eve to the moment we left on the 27th I have nothing but praise for the team at Barnsley House. The building is stunning, our room was No 5 and the bathroom was the best I have ever seen (and I have stayed in some of the best hotels). We were greeted with such a warm welcome and all the staff were attentive, friendly and had permanent smiles on their faces and not just cause it was their job but because I truly believe they love working there (who wouldn't in the gorgeous building and grounds!). The food was fresh, locally sourced and excellent. We had a night at their pub over the road and the meal in their was one of the best pub meals I have ever tasted. Even when we went to leave we were offered 2 loaves of home cooked bread to take with us, with this and the hamper in the room that was there for us when we arrived with home cooked goodies and jams, I have no hesitation in recommending this stay to anyone, a bit pricey but definitely worth it! So much so that we have already booked a weekend to return in June and will be booking very shortly to return for c'mas next year. If you can afford a treat, then this is the place to stay!!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Binfield55
Reviewed 27 December 2012

Our son recently got married at this hotel. I cannot commend highly enough the hotel for its ability to ensure that their day was special. The hotel managed to create a 'house party' feel to the whole day and although this looked effortless, I am sure that this involved a large degree of organisational skill from the lovely wedding arranger, charming hotel manager and efficient and inconspicuous staff.
Our room ( number 1) was lovely, with a plump bed straight out of a fairy story and the biggest bathroom I have ever seen. So big in fact that the side by side baths sat in the centre seemed to take up no room at all! Did I mention that at the end of the baths, there was also a flat screen TV? I could go on and on about the hotel room, the wedding venue but I am sure that even then I wouldn't be able to fully reflect how much we enjoyed our stay.
Well done Barnsley House !!!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 December 2012 via mobile

I booked Barnsley house for my boyfriends 30th, the stay was so special from beginning to end we were sad to leave. We stayed in stableyard suite 19, it was huge! The highlight for us was the hottub in the living area :) we both had a massage in the spa which was heavenly and then spent the next few hours in the outside hydrotherapy pool, such an experience when it's freezing cold and dark outside and your all warm sipping champagne... As a final surprise i had booked the cinema for my boyfriend and bought his favourite film for them to play, so cool, he loved it! The food in the restaurant was simple fresh flavours cooked to perfection. Everything about our stay was perfect, the hotel has the perfect mix of traditional with modern features like flat screen TVs and nespresso coffee machines in the room. Can't wait to return, thank you for making my boyfriends 30th perfect :)

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 10 December 2012

We visited Barnsley house after an extremely busy time for us both at work, with the aim of relaxing and doing little. That is completely possible - the staff were fantastic, the spa is perfect and I have never slept in a bed so comfortable. Our room was lovely - with a lavender theme, a mezzanine lounge, steam shower, and a bath at the foot of the bed. We had two fantastic meals - one at the Village Pub (same owners) and the other in the hotel. We used the private cinema which was a lovely experience, and I had a fantastic massage in the spa. Definitely recommend Barnsley House for anyone looking for a relaxed break where you can really feel comfortable.

Room Tip: All of the rooms seem lovely.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 November 2012

We held our wedding at Barnsley House in early September this year and we could not have had a better experience. The staff at Barnsley House are incredible, Natalie Rolls the event manager is a miracle worker! Michele Mella the general Manger, Barnaby the Restaurant Manager, and Linda and Tom from the Village Pub made our stay absolutely flawless, along with all of the staff, at the house the Spa and the Village Pub.

The staff are ever helpful, from arranging a convoy of taxi’s to meet us and our guests at Kemble Station, to organising Duck Herding for us and our guests on the Barnsley Helipad the morning after the wedding, to Linda looking after our two nephews on the night of the wedding, nothing ever seemed too much trouble. We had the luxury of viewing all of the rooms, each and every room was impeccably decorated, our room The Rosemary Verey Suite was the stand out, beautifully appointed and with lovely touches, such as the small vase of freshly picked mint leaves in the mini-bar to garnish the water and fresh fruit replenished daily. All of our guests had a brilliant stay and the feedback from them has been wonderful, none of us wanted to leave. We look forward to our next visit!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JedandPaul
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnsley
Calcot Manor
#1 of 1 in Painswick
Dormy House Hotel
Dormy House Hotel
#3 of 6 in Broadway

Been to Barnsley House? Share your experiences!