“Warm hospitality, impeccable service and delicious food”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Barnsley House

Barnsley House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Barnsley
“Warm hospitality, impeccable service and delicious food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2013 via mobile

We took our mother to Barnsley House for Mothering Sunday lunch and were really delighted with our choice. It was obviously a busy day for them, but there was no sense of rush or pressure; everything that we requested arrived promptly and without fuss. We had previously visited in January and it was nice to be remembered and greeted so warmly. The management and staff could not have been kinder to our mother who is a bit wobbly and they dealt with her instability with charm and courtesy. The food was delicious; starters were all beautifully presented and very tasty. One of the highlights of the meal was the roast sirloin of beef, which came out on a trolley and was carved in front of us. I confess that I was a bit concerned when they only gave us one slice each, but it was a thick one - pink, juicy and tender, and proved to be more than enough. The additional Le Creuset pots of extra vegetables and the little pan of gravy that were left on the table meant that even the largest appetite was catered for. Puds were great too and just as we were leaving the next door table were being presented afternoon tea on a layered cake stand. We'll be back another day soon to enjoy that too!

Stayed March 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Wiltshire, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2013 via mobile

Barnsley House is really everything that it should be, perfect rooms, perfect food, perfect service and perfect surroundings. Without any airs and graces, it doesn't take itself too seriously which makes for a relaxed stay. I stayed in room 15 in the stables, a split-level dual height room that was really a suite and probably one of the nicest hotel rooms I've ever stayed in. I was checked into the room and shown all the amenities by the Deputy Manager. She mentioned that she had stayed in that room herself before, it's always good to hear when a hotel tries out their own stay experience so they can constantly improve. The room included free tea and homemade biscuits, nespresso coffee machine, fruit and complimentary fruit juices and mineral water. Downstairs there was a sofa and huge plasma tv, upstairs a king bed with fabulous linen and another flat screen tv. They have the full Sky television package here, not just the usual couple of Sky channels. They also have a very extensive DVD list so there's lots to watch if you want to catch up on your movies! The bathroom was enormous with under floor heating, double vanity (wooden sinks - very unusual) and the most enormous Turkish bath. Products were Aromatherapy Associates - lovely, but you don't get any to take home.

I chose to have dinner in the restaurant but I could have had it in my room. I don't think the hotel gets many people staying here on their own as they seemed a bit surprised and a little uncomfortable about that in the restaurant. That could have made me feel uncomfortable in turn, but I'm used to it so didn't take any notice. The ambience in the restaurant was lovely, quite quiet but relaxed. The wait staff were very attentive and tried really hard. The emphasis is on quality food, simply cooked. I can recommend the Lemon Sole! Most people had dressed up and made an effort, but there was a table of four sat next to me who hadn't which was a shame I thought.

The spa is set in the grounds and you have to wander through the trees to find it which means you have to change when you get there rather than go to/from your room in your robe. There is limited changing room space, there was only one other lady changing and we were stepping over each other. The hydrotherapy pool is small and I didn't like the fact that the pool cover and maintenance tools were on show. The sauna and steam rooms were nice but again small. The relaxation area was lovely with natural woods, candles and a view of the countryside. There is a second relaxation area for after your treatments, which is a bit of a surprise and quite unusual. My rose body polish was divine, my therapist excellent. Despite that, I wouldn't rush back to use the spa as I like to have more space and greater facilities. As an extra to the hotel though, it's good to have that facility.

There is also a cinema in the grounds but I didn't use it.

Breakfast was delivered to my room the next morning at my request, the hotel are very flexible on timings and the guest's requirements come first here. All very home-made and natural, the food was delicious.

Be aware there is almost no mobile reception here - something that caused me a few issues during my stay. If you've come to get away from it all though, that won't matter to you. I did also have trouble getting an outside line from the landline in my room. I could have called Reception to look into it for me but I didn't bother.

The hotel is famous for its gardens and I was disappointed not to have had time to walk around them. The gardens are brought into every aspect of your stay though and the style and design of the hotel is based around them. Little touches and beautiful fragrances everywhere make you feel as though you are staying for the weekend in someone's house. I did have the option to stay on and use the facilities post check-out, the hotel is very relaxed about this, unfortunately I had to get going on this occasion, but I will definitely be back.

• Stayed February 2013
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013

We only stayed one night, so wished we had booked a longer stay. This was one of the finest guest experiences I have ever known. The house is a great and the rooms are fab but what makes this so place so special is the staff and their genuine want-to-do attitude. They made us feel so cherished and I am sure they achieve this for all their guests. Whatever the secret ingredient the management have found they need to bottle it and sell it to other hotels that claim to deliver guest satisfaction - or maybe just keep it as their secret ingredient.
We will definitely be back

Room Tip: Ask to be emailed the photo file and see images of all the rooms - this place really delivers on the...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
The Slaughters, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

What a wonderful experience we had - everything was perfect. Fabulaous, comfortable accomodation, with luxury at every moment of our stay. Service was brilliant - from the moment we arrived. We stayed in Room 7 and enjoyed the luxury of the conservatory, as well as a lounge, glorious bathroom and a magnificent bedroom. Nothing was too much trouble and we had the best of times in the best of hotels.

Room Tip: All rooms look terrific - there is some noise from upper floors when staying in ground floor rooms...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2013

Stayed here for an overnight stay for my wife's birthday and it really is a stunning hotel,the best rooms I've seen in a uk hotel,we had a suite stable room with its own steam room really stunning,that staff were superb in every way from reception taking you to your room and informing you of the details of the hotel,to the restaurant staff really friendly and willing to have a laugh and joke with you but yet very professional in every way,the outdoor hot tub is amazing its worth visiting for this alone,it is expensive but worth every penny and more,there are some good deals to be had on a Sunday evening as we only paid around £300 a night which is great value,it really is a place you need to visit before you checkout so to speak I think it's by far and away the best hotel in Britain and that includes ,cliveden,,hartwell house,hambleton hall,manor house at castle coombe,go its great

Room Tip: Try the pub across the road same ownership foods great there too
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank darren c
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2013

We booked a two-night stay here as a treat to get some downtime; one of the main reasons for coming to BH was the spa, which was really terrific. We stayed in room 2, in the main house, which has a jacuzzi in the largest bathroom ever! The food in the Potager restaurant was beyond reproach - fresh, tasty and imaginative. The service was impeccable. On the second night we dined at The Village Pub (actually, we also had lunch there : ) and the food was excellent there too. The weather was pretty horrible this February so it was nice to return after dinner at the pub to a lovely warm cozy sitting room with fireplace (on the right hand side as you come in through the main doors of the hotel). I could easily spend a whole week here - we will definitely be back.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Cheltenham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2013

This was our second stay at Barnsley, a night away after Christmas and before we both headed back to work after the break.
We were extremely lucky to be upgraded to the 'Secret Garden' Suite....a wonderful surprise which resulted in me whooping in delight and skipping through the garden to its own gated entrance.
Once inside the Suite was everything I expected and more.....huge marshmallowy bed, massive egg shaped bath overlooking the private garden area, dining area and a bathroom so large you could hold a party in it.
We spent practically the whole stay in our room as we wanted to enjoy every single minute of being in such luxury. We had used the on site cinema during our previous stay so instead snuggled on the sofa and watched dvds.
We did venture out in the evening to the Village Pub for dinner (the hotel had kindly reserved us a table) and had a wonderful meal. The staff in the pub were so welcoming and we were treated like old friends.
After a comfortable nights sleep we wandered to the main hotel for breakfast. Everything about the hotel just entices you to relax even down to the music playing in the breakfast room (restaurant). The eggs benedict was delicious although I could of eaten another one...there was plenty of pastries and fruit etc to fill up on.
After a walk around a very misty wintery gardens we reluctantly checked out and headed home...trip number 3 is already being planned.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank erinuk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnsley
Ellenborough Park
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
#2 of 3 in Chipping Campden
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,000 reviews

Been to Barnsley House? Share your experiences!