“One place I'd like to keep to myself!”
Review of Barnsley House

Barnsley House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Barnsley
Dublin, Ireland
“One place I'd like to keep to myself!”
Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

Second visit in 18 months - Barnsley has an amazingly positive feel to it. The rooms are wonderful, the gardens amazing and the food sublime. Add to that my impression that the staff are really engaged, friendly and interested and you have all the ingredients for an exceptional stay. Barnsley House is often used for weddings as it's in a beautiful Cotswolds location but midweek breaks are also very popular. It's not cheap but compared to somewhere like Le Manoir, it is in a league of it's own for service and friendliness. The rooms are all very individual and beautifully finished.
A quiet retreat that's just the place for a 'special' time away!

Stayed September 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Monmouth, Oregon
Reviewed 19 September 2013

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay. I was particularly impressed with the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. They RAN to the car with umbrellas on a somewhat drippy day. The manager is friendly and hands on; it was only toward the end of our stay that I learned he was the one to bring the electrical adapter to our room. The grounds are gorgeous and the rooms peaceful. We enjoyed having the outdoor spa pool to ourselves one day. Food was quite good. We were fortunate to be able to take part in a special winemaker's dinner where each course was paired with a wine. The chef whipped up a beautiful vegetarian offering for me and even had the menu printed, which was a nice touch. We also had a great dinner in their pub. Everything was perfect for us at this lovely hotel.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Barnsley House has come a long way since it first opened. It competes in a bracket in which there's no shortage of impressive entries, with Babington, Cowley Manor and Lords of the Manor all snapping at its spa treatments. It's quirky in its habits but most enjoyable nonetheless. The staff contend with the occasional outraged of Kensington very well - and although not as seamlessly attentive as the likes of The Wolsely, they try hard.

The advent of one of the more glorious Summer evenings coupled with dinner outside was a memorable experience. (Beware outside tables are not bookable - it's first come first served - causing outraged of Kensington's blood to boil a little more). The food was sublime that evening. Sadly not repeated the next evening at their sister dining establishment The Village Pub. Whether a fully booked Saturday night was too much to deal with, I couldn't tell - but service and food left much to desired with selections forgotten and food that should have been hot still cold.

The rooms are comfortable and individual and the ambience friendly and... well.. Cotswoldian. It doesn't make as good use of its outside space as Babington nor does it have a large enough bar room for convivial schmoozing - but it is full of character and well located for Cirencester and surrounding sparkling golden stoned countryside. But dear reader - you will pay for the privilege.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jon B
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We had a very warm welcome on a wet and windy night. The hotel staff were super-friendly and helpful throughout our long weekend stay. The restaurant food (which focused on locally grown veg) and the service were excellent and very good value.

The spa is a little smaller than we expected and had no gym, but was neverthless quite relaxing and peaceful. I highly recommend the male therapist for a strong massage, and the local tennis pro (Neal) was extremely good (we took two lessons each from him and he was able to adjust his approach for our different standards and still be very effective).

The stableyard room was very spacious and the layout, with the upstairs wet room and large bathtub, was very cool. The bed was very soft and inviting but, unfortunately, this wasn't great for my back. SkyTV in the room with a large TV in downstairs and a smaller TV in the wetroom was also a plus.

Our only quibble was with the weather. The all too brief glimpses of sun showed the grounds at their most beautiful. Altogether, a very pleasant and relaxing weekend in a beautiful setting.

Australia
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Stayed here December 2012 with my wife. It's a beautiful country house in the quintessential Cotswold village. The room we had was on the first floor overlooking the rear garden. It's nicely decorated, nice bed which was fairly comfy. The bathroom was down a small flight of stairs, but it was huge with double baths , double vanity and a rather large shower. It's all decorated in a very stripped back style with a lot of th original floor boards and elements of marble. The bedroom is nicely styled with a lot of the original features like the windows and fireplace. You should note its a historic property so the floors while original are also a little wavy and uneven, but this is characterful. We also had dinner in the restaraunt in the evening. It was fantastic some of the best food we have had in a while and quite a surprise to find it in England. They grow a lot of their produce on site, they have a kitchen garden and get their eggs from their own chickens. A lot of their other produce is sourced very locally. The hotel has a spa in the grounds. My wife and I both had treatments here. Again it's a beautiful spa, with a good range of treatments. The staff were lovely and made us both feel very welcome.
You should also check out the pub in the village which is also owned by the hotel. We visited for lunch by the roaring fire. Again the food was faultless which was a nice surprise and fairly reasonably priced for the quality.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the front get the cars driving up the driveway. So you may want a room overloo...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Manchester, UK
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We stayed here for one night in August and our only regret is that we didn't get to eat in the restaurant as we had a function to attend. The room and bathroom were beautifully decorated in a really individual style and the rest of the hotel and gardens were of the highest standard. We had time to use the spa in the morning which I would highly recommend. The breakfast was excellent also. One of the best hotels we've stayed in.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Windsor, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2013

My husband and I booked an anniversary celebration and pre baby arrival couple of nights away. I am 30 weeks pregnant and was really looking forward to a rather extravagant couple of nights away. On arrival we walked down into the little basement reception room to discover it was unmanned. I stayed in the office with the bags and my husband popped up to find someone. When he did the gentleman came to the top of the stairs and asked something I dint hear at the time, my husband later confirmed he had looked at me and asked "would you like to retrieve yourself?"... I said "Pardon?" He replied, 'would you like to come up here." So I kind of looked at the bags and he said "oh, would you like a hand with those?" "Yes, that would be helpful", I replied. On the way to the room he asked how was your journey....long I said, where have you come from, Windsor I replied....oh that's not far he said...well, I guess all journeys feel long when you're 6 months pregnant, I replied. We were then taken to a room up two flights of stairs, beautiful room but as I got up therei noticed the temperature increase somewhat. Being heavily pregnant I asked about the air conditioning....at £380 a night, you do expect it! We were informed there was no airconditioning. I asked if it was possible to be moved to a room with air conditioning, which we were moved to, only aircon in the lounge, not the bedroom. I could go on but generally serice was poor, in particular on one evening when we ate in the pub over the road and had terrible service sat outside. Items forgotten, waiting a long time for everything, drinks, first course...when main course came my husband had fish and chips brought out when he ordered fish cakes, after a long wait it was tempting to accept the fish and chips but we did ask them to change it. I think this is potentially where my steak went wrong, after asking for it medium rare when they came back with the correct main course for my husband the steak was well cooked. I mentioned it to the waiter and he said he would check it with the chef, he then returned to the table with the same steak to tell me the chef said it was medium rare....that has literally never happened to me before, I've never heard of it and I work in hotels!! I then insisted it was not medium rare and he took it back to the kitchen and it was replaced with a perfectly cooked, medium rare steak....eventually we got our meal.

We had hired the cinema room that evening so went to reception to be let in. I had read they had snacks available so asked to have some popcorn, to be told "well, yes we could but the popcorn would take half an hour to make!!?? It was clearly not something they wanted to do... I make popcorn at home in under 10 minutes in the saucepan!

All in all, a lovely location, beautiful accommodation, fantastic food, when they get it right....at breakfasts requests for brown toast were serviced with white and food orders forgotten until reminders made to the staff....when you get the food it's of an exceptional quality, can't fault it. But a chef telling the customer that he was happy with the way it was cooked so I should be happy with it too, when it was clearly overcooked...I never send food back! Was the icing on the cake re the service....poor, a real let down and a real shame as everything else was very good....as you'd expect for the money!

In short, if they spend more time training the staff to be welcoming, accommodating and proactive with their approach I would recommend, but given the current lack of serice and care, I'd say, find somewhere for less money where the value for money and kindness of staff is genuine.

Knowing they had a pregnant lady arriving (which we did inform them of before hand), you think our needs would have been catered to better, air conditioning, no stairs. Knowing we had the cinema booked, they could have contacted us earlier that day to take a preorder of snacks...if popcorn really does take 30 minutes....we weren't even offered any drinks!

We did enjoy our two days, we had beautiful treatments in the spa, where the service is very good. We were also looked after by a great breakfast waitress on the Thursday morning, but to give a balanced view, I've been looked after better in the local Holiday Inn at a fraction of the price!

Room Tip: Ask abut aircon if you are visiting during a hot summer
2 Thank Joanna M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnsley
Ellenborough Park
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
#2 of 3 in Chipping Campden
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,013 reviews

Been to Barnsley House? Share your experiences!