“Birthday Surprise!”
Review of Barnsley House

Barnsley House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Barnsley
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We actually stayed here back in May but I have longed to return ever since.
I could not say a single bad word about this hotel, I was brought here as a surprise birthday gift and it literally took my breath away, it's the most wonderful place I've stayed in to date.
As we drove up to the property I was stunned at how beautiful the building was, and the grounds so impeccably kept.
A birthday card from the employees was left in my room, along with complimentary Champagne. We stayed in Room 1 - just stunning, particularly the bathroom complete with twin bath tubs, and large shower. We were lucky enough to be located so that we had views almost all the way around the property and its beautiful grounds.
The spa was a real treat, with a heated outdoor pool which meant that even with a slight chill in the air we could relax in comfort.
Dinner was excellent and we were pleased to find out that many of the ingredients were locally sourced, and some even foraged from the grounds by the chef himself. The food was really delicious, and I was treated to a lovely birthday dessert by the restaurant manager. He and the rest of the staff were so attentive without even a hint of pretentiousness and we were made to feel like friends coming to visit.
The next day after a delightful breakfast in the garden, we returned to the spa for another treatment, and then once again found ourselves in the garden for afternoon tea.
The price of our stay was not cheap, but you really get what you pay for, and to me the memories I took away and the experience as a whole was totally worth every penny.

Room Tip: We were kindly shown a few rooms and they were all as beautiful as each other. I don't think you...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 December 2013

We stayed and had a lovely time, really enjoyed the style, the log fires, the fact staff introduce themselves with their names, it’s really like staying at someones posh country house.
We went straight into the spa, had the most relaxing and fab treatments, as I write nearly 24 hours later, I’m still relaxed!! Then went into our room, I booked a spa break and they upgraded our room, which was lovely and so home from home. (beds amazing) Had a tipple and then had a really scrummy dinner in the restaurant. Pumpkin Crème Brulee, who knew!! Fab. We also missed breakfast as so stuffed from the night before, but we got a phone call asking if we wanted room service breaky as we hadn’t made it down,, they didn’t want us to go hungry! Little things make all the difference.
Want to go back in the summer, as loved it, so yes top price end, but they all make you feel like it’s your house, in fact who were these other people allowed in?? extremely rare experience.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We liked this hotel. Much thought has gone into pampering the guests, a sublime spa is on hand for totally blissful treatments, the heated outside pool is simply wonderful to relax in, private cinema in the grounds available for hire and an eclectic mix of old/new style furnishings throughout. The sofa in our bedroom could have been more comfortable, flat square cushions are not terribly inviting and the floor certainly needed some attention - stressed wood is one thing, but holes in the floorboards is another! Food was amazing with fresh vegetables grown in their own nursery and all the bread is baked on the premises. Barnsley house has a unique arrangement in as much as one can dine in the restaurant in the hotel, or use the village pub,close by, also part of the establishment for a less formal set up. We exercised both options. I had one complaint which left a very bad taste. We decided to lunch in the pub on our last day, my partner went to the car to take off his muddy boots and I went inside alone and sat down at a table that was vacant. A young gentleman behind the bar shouted across at me that it was reserved. I duly got up and moved to the table next to this one, whereupon, this same rude young member of staff repeated his behaviour, shouting at me again that this table was also reserved, so I moved yet again. There were no 'reserved' signs visible on ANY tables. Surely this is not the way to behave. We had stayed for three nights, forked out A LOT of money and I was most unimpressed. My partner came in to join me and the manager, quickly came over and showed us to the second table at which I had seated myself. A small thing, but, not what I would expect from this sort of establishment where we had experienced the utmost courtesy and respect throughout our stay. When you are paying a lot of money, only the best is acceptable. Not good. We will not return. A great pity.

1  Thank Diana H
Reviewed 20 November 2013

A wonderful hotel. Excellent atmosphere, rooms and spa. Food is good and not too expensive. (nice with local supply), so is the wine list. The village Pub is wonderful. Overall, a very positive attitude from all staff, but service level shifted from excellent (mainly the female staff) to a bit un-attentive. Some junior staff were quite un-trained and spoke bad English. Room rates a bit too expensive, I think.

Room Tip: Suite 6 is lovely!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 November 2013

My wife and I, together with our intrepid red poodle, Otis, recently spent a weekend and were allocated one of the courtyard suites.
The main house has is very appealing, you want to spend time there. Not an option for us as dogs are restricted to your room. We did however dine one evening in the main restaurant and found the service to be excellent and the food good but not exceptional.
Our room was not particularly to our taste. Internally it was decorated in a rather cold, NYC boutique style and frankly the flooring had definitely seen better days. Furthermore, the lounge was inexplicably located upstairs in the duplex and the bathroom was cramped and inoperable. The whole thing was a triumph over substance.
The courtyard rooms are situated very near the out buildings of the farm next door and the smells that emulated from said building were not great.
All of this said, the location, the excellent service would normally have swayed me to a four star review but then came the bill — for £400 plus per night, you can stay at The Connaught in London were everything will be absolutely top notch. If The Barnsley House are to charge the same then the standards should be the same and they aren't — frankly if they caped their prices at £300 that would be high but realistic. At over £400, they are setting themselves up for a fall.

2  Thank David C
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Stayed one night as a birthday treat and all was perfect from start to finish. I had hand-picked our room (I took another reviewer's advice and emailed the hotel first to request the room gallery document thingy!) but was still blown away by its opulence. Marshmallow-esque bed, plush steam room, huge jacuzzi upstairs, 2 fancy TVs, etc, but all the thoughtful details (a measure of an excellent hotel in my opinion) were present, too - the delicious home-made cookies (topped up at turndown!), the free juices, the fresh mint in the fridge, etc. The bar and lounge areas were all grand but cosy, high end and tastefully decorated but comfortable. Cocktails were lovely, as was the food (and not too pricey either). The gardens were a joy to explore, the wellies and brollies provided were appreciated and the outdoor hot tub on a crisp November morning was pretty special. I had an Aromatheraphy Associates facial which was lovely, and was extra impressed with the relaxation room I was taken to afterwards. Friendly and efficient staff, too. We are fortunate enough to stay in lots of lovely hotels and Barnsley House is up there with the best! Looking forward to returning some time soon.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 19 and loved it!
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Myself and my mother booked an overnight spa stay to get some much needed R&R. Barnsley House lived up to expectations. The food was very fresh and the service attentive throughout the stay. Our spa therapists were clearly experienced in the industry and the treatments were conducted with professionalism. The therapy rooms were perhaps a little cold for massages but overall we would both recommend the treatments. Our room (Junior King Suite) was really comfortable - excellent bedding and bathroom!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Whatkatydid2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnsley
Ellenborough Park
#3 of 8 in Cirencester
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
#2 of 3 in Chipping Campden

Been to Barnsley House? Share your experiences!