“Amazing”
Review of Barnsley House

Barnsley House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Barnsley
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I took my mum to Barnsley House for mothers day for half a spa day. This house is set in a beautiful setting in the Cotswolds. The spa is stunning and modern with very helpful staff. Gemma and Kay were very helpful and accommodating as I was running 30 minutes due to traffic.

Lunch which was also included in the spa day was of a high quality and great service again. Really amazing place and customer service. No pressure to add on to your package just great service. Everyone was helpful and friendly.

I cant wait to go back and stay. This time with the rest of my friends and family. An amazing experience that I am going to be recommending to all!

A very well run establishment.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Farah M
barnsley_house, General Manager at Barnsley House, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

We are delighted you had a great time with us and grateful for your recommendations. Hope to have you back soon

There are newer reviews for Barnsley House

Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Barnsley House the night after our wedding. There was some confusion regarding our spa treatments (the system was showing these as cancelled!!) and I was sent an email at 8.30pm on the Friday (2 days before our stay, and the night before our wedding!)

I wasn't best pleased to have to be trying to sort this out at an already stressful time. I was told that reception would contact me at 9am the following morning once they had spoken to the spa. As it was, I had to chase them but they confirmed all was ok regarding the treatments.

Anyway, moan over and onto why I gave Barnsley House 5 out of 5....

The location is beautiful and the entrance into the house is lovely, especially when the fire is going on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

We were welcomed at reception by Peter and shown up to our room (4). It was simply stunning. A huge bedroom area, gorgeous and spotlessly clean bathroom and a lovely lounge area.

As we'd had such a busy day the day before we decided to relax on the bed for a while (my new husband wanting to watch the Liverpool match - sky is available in both the lounge and bedroom). The bed was so comfortable I fell asleep for a while.

We were going to have dinner in the restaurant but after having a lovely bath we decided to just stay in our robes and have room service.

This was no problem at all and our seperate orders (for starters/mains, then dessert) were handled brilliantly by Abi. As well as this, on ordering drinks, a congratulatory bottle of champagne was sent up which we felt was a lovely touch.

There is only one word for the food....INCREDIBLE. Every dish was brimming with flavour and colour, and the use of seasonal/local ingredients was evident. Breakfast the next morning continued this theme.

We had our massages in the morning as well as use of the facilities of the spa.

Yes the spa is small but it's well thought out with all you could need for a couple of hours. The hydrotherapy pool outside is fab as are the relaxation areas, sauna, herbivarium etc.

My massage has to go down as one of the best I have ever had, my back still feels great now. My husband also commented on how good his was. Yes there is a fan on in the room but after a few minutes I barely noticed as I was so relaxed. I often find it difficult to properly relax during a massage but at Barnsley House I felt like I melted into the bed. Just amazing.

The price for the package isn't cheap but we felt it's worth it for the quality and special touches you experience. We're planning to return for our first anniversary, or possibly try out the sister hotel, Calcot Manor.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

We are delighted you enjoyed our hospitality and found facilities and service to your liking. we very much look forward to seeing you in future either here or our sister Hotel Calcot Manor

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Barnsley House has a setting to die for, ideal for those looking to escape London, if you have a dog then you can bring them to.

It has all the things one should expect from a high quality hotel retreat… except the magic.

On arrival we had to wait for reception, eventually someone arrived to great us and took us to our room. Almost immediately on arrival we were told where we could not go in the hotel due to a private function being held, not the best welcome.

The first room had an odd noise coming from a motor behind a wall so they sent a man to look at it and asked us to see how it was in the morning. A restless night later it was no better, so at this point they decided to move us to another room. To be fair we did not pay for the first night's 'accommodation' but it was one night out of two without sleep, not the best way to start a trip.

During breakfast the next morning we found our conversation difficult as someone was vacuuming during service - not really conducive to creating the magic of a retreat.

The best part of the experience was using the pub they own across the street, in fact it was so good we cancelled our reservation on their hotel restaurant and went back to the pub on the second night. The food was excellent and the service amazing, they even let us take our dog.

We used the spa, but again there were fans running making a loud noise throughout my entire massage, not the best way to relax. I asked if the fan could be turned off but apparently because the spa had been built underground if they were turned off we would all suffocate, apparently. I do like a deep sleep when relaxing, but that thought did not really fill me with peace.

On the whole The Barnsley has the potential to be a relaxing and calm retreat but their lack of attention to detail both with service and facilities means the magic is lost.

Shame.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank russhughes

Thank you very much for your constructive feedback. I am sorry we didn't quite produce the magic you rightly would expect from us. Your comments are very valuable to us and we are grateful for it

Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

The property is lovely on beautiful grounds. The rooms are absolutely charming with exposed wood beams and original wood floor but modern amenities. The bathroom has a huge separate shower and bath. The bed is insanely comfortable although the pillows could have been softer. There are two soft square ones though. The service is excellent and the staff are very friendly and helpful. Highly recommended!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank rubyyao
barnsley_house, General Manager at Barnsley House, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

The staff and I would like to thank you for your generous comments and delighted that you would recommend us

Reviewed 23 March 2014

On arrival we were warmly greeted and shown into the Potager Restaurant. The refurbishment has been a success however the uncoordinated nature of the service was rapidly apparent as two single tables had to be hastily joined despite having booked with plenty of notice and confirmed half an hour before.

The wine order was dealt with by several different waiters which appeared to impact on their wine knowledge. We chose a half bottle of 2010 Chassagne Montrachet which proved poor value for money, however the 2011 Chateau Lestrille (one of the cheaper wines on the menu) was excellent.

On the whole, the food was of reasonable quality ranging from the Potager's signature dish: Vincisgrassi, which was outstanding, to a disappointing pile of over salted cured salmon. The stonebass was good; it was a shame that the lovely crispy skin was spoiled by butter sauce being poured on top. The turbot came with no greens despite checking at ordering, and the lemon sole was very good; we had one with nut butter sauce and one with hollandaise. It was beautifully cooked with a small portion of Swiss chard which we had to share around the table.

For pudding the chocolate fondant was sadly overcooked with very little runny chocolate in the centre but well complemented with blackberry sorbet. One double portion of apple sorbet arrived when we had ordered two single portions, although quickly rectified with a complimentary second.

Despite a slightly shambolic performance we much enjoyed our evening.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Thank you very much for your very constructive feedback and be assured that our Restaurant Team will strive to improve on aspects of the service that you have highlighted.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

What can I say, this is a lovely hotel and I'd highly recommend a visit! We stayed over the Christmas period for a special treat and absolutely loved our room. Everything you could need was provided- several magazines, high end teas and coffees, fresh juice and bottled water, biscuits and treats....most included in the price. Aside from that our room was large and luxurious and we probably wouldn't have wandered out had it not been our enthusiasm to explore the spa, hotel grounds or the local pub for dinner.

A wonderful stay but a rare treat at the prices.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SunshineBluesLondon

We are delighted that you had such memorable time with us over Christmas. We hope to have you back sometime soon

Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

Lovely place !!! Service was very good and attentive and the rooms were great
Food in the restaurant was fresh and lots of the food was from there own garden
Gardens were great to walk round and lots to do in the area

We will be back for another beak

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
barnsley_house, General Manager at Barnsley House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

We are delighted you had a wonderful time with us. We all are looking forward to welcoming you back sometime soon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnsley
Calcot Manor
#2 of 6 in Broadway
Whatley Manor Hotel & Spa
Whatley Manor Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Malmesbury

Been to Barnsley House? Share your experiences!