“One of the best country hotels...”
Review of Barnsley House

Barnsley House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Barnsley
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Barnsley House is simply beautiful and one of the best country hotels we have ever stayed in - if not one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in the UK.

Gardens & house are magnificent but what sets Barnsley House apart is its staff. Warm, friendly and the epitome of a 5 star country house hotel.

After a long drive we were welcomed by the lovely Stella and shown to the very cute Potting Shed. Dinner was amazing and full of magnificent food from the gardens - the dining room was simply magical with french doors open as the sun set over the gardens. After a fabulous breakfast we enjoyed a great massage the next morning in the gorgeous spa which is hidden away in the gardens.

Thank you for a wonderful stay Barnsley House - you deserve the accolades....

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
barnsley_house, General Manager at Barnsley House, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

We are so pleased that you found our service and facilities to your liking. Our Staff are particularly grateful for your kind comments and we look forward to having you back here at Barnsley House in the near future

There are newer reviews for Barnsley House

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Came to Barnsley House for a friend's wedding, 1 night was provided and decided to book 1 more night for the Superior King Bed room since I traveled from Hong Kong.

Emailed the hotel before arriving to arrange room and spa etc. and they were answered promptly.

Upon arrival, checked into Room No. 3 on the 1st floor. Very charming room and of course love the bath. However, the bedroom feels a little cramp and as much as I love the huge bathroom, the proportion is a little weird given the bedroom is as big as the bathroom and so the writing desk is tiny and if you have a large suitcase, it cannot be laid out anywhere in the room. Whereas the bathroom, you can do a little dance in there. Bed was super comfortable and slept very well. Notice there is no air conditioning in the room, it was a bit chilly at night when I stayed and I opened the windows during night so it was fine, otherwise think it can get quite stuffy in the summer months. Everything works as it should and the bath really is the best thing. I went into other suites that the couple and other guest were staying in and of course they were far more impressive as reflected in the room price.

Went for the signature spa treatment. The changing room / shower area is small. However, for someone who goes for massages very often, I have to say the therapist really is top notch, the massage was really really good. Also the sorbet and the relaxing room after the treatment were fabulous and the outdoor pool jet is nice.

Re food, ordered breakfast in room the first morning and it was delivered quite quickly and food was nice. Also had lunch at the restaurant, food was alright, nothing spectacular. The wedding outdoor was very idyllic. Then dinner inside the Potager restaurant was again lovely but not outstanding.

Had dinner and lunch at the Village Pub a few mins away and a bit to my surprise, they were all fantastic and I highly recommended the food there, Had the dorset crab for appetizer, crispy pork as main and strawberries and cream to finish off, they were all really good.

Wanted to borrow some bikes to ride near the hotel but the bikes were all meant for really tall people, only people who is over 5'10 can ride the bikes safely, so hoping they will improve on this as it's probably something a lot of guests will enjoy doing.

Special mention and thanks to the manager of the wedding, Ms. N. Ford, to cut the long story short, the florist mucked things up but Ms. Ford went out of her way to help and deal with the problem efficiently, so was very impressed and grateful.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Thank you very much for your feedback and delighted that Natalie went out of her way to assist with the wedding you attended.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

My wife and I stayed here for a long weekend as part of a wedding celebration of friends' son. The property was perfect and wonderful. Our suite in the main house (#8, I can't remember its name) was spacious and comfortable. The huge shower was perfect and will be replicated in the next home we build. And the soaking tub in the middle of the bedroom was fun.

The property's gardens were magnificent examples of English country gardens -- these designed by Rosemary Very, who has an interesting story if you're into that sort of thing as my wife is -- and provided a bucolic setting for evening drinks and morning walks.

We only ate breakfasts at Barnsley House, but they were wonderful -- flavorful, fresh vibrant fruits and cheeses, etc. The Village Pub, also owned by Barnsley House, offered well prepared food and generous pours on the drinks.

We will return to Barnsley House, without question. A great place for a couple or a family with older children (e.g. teens). I don't think I'd bring a young family here.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

We are delighted that you enjoyed the wedding week end at Barnsley House and found service and facilities to your liking. thank you very much for your recommendation and hope to have the pleasure of your company again in future

Reviewed 5 July 2014

One of my favourite hotels in the Uk and surely on the best in the Cotswolds . The decor ,food and ,staff were truly amazing. We ate in the hotel and the village pub (which is the same company) both were fantastic. Beautiful gardens to walk round with wonderful surroundings . Can't recommend enough forget the budget you only live once

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

We are delighted that you rate us so highly and grateful for your recommendation. The Team and I are delighted and we would like to thank you for the contribution

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed in June for our anniversary and this time stayed in a suite in the main house, although the stairs were a bit steep the room and bathroom was to die for!

We have been to Barnsley several times now and have stayed over the c'mas period for the past few years and will be doing this year so perhaps I am a little bias. The reason for this could be the high quality fixtures and fittings in the room, freshest eggs (the boiled eggs I think had just been laid in the gardens as have never tasted anything so good for breakfast!) just picked vegetables from their grounds and other food being just as tasty ams fresh and a relaxed but attentive service. Not to mention the stunning building and gardens and off course Thomas the bar man that deserves a special mention.

It may be pricey for a weekend but if you are after quality and luxury but without the snobbishness that goes with it, this is definitely the place for you!

I have seen a few comments regarding the smell of cows from the neighbouring farm but if you stay in the glorious countryside what do you expect? I would take this over smog and car fumes any day!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

It's always nice to have you back and thank you for your generous comments. I'll promise to always have fresh eggs and good veg from the Garden at Barnsley House. Might see you at Xmas?

Reviewed 14 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at Barnsley House for one night (sadly) as the first stop on our honeymoon. We simply couldn't have been happier.

The hotel staff were all incredibly friendly, helpful, professional and efficient (special thanks to Clare Perrin, who was the person we dealt with when planning the details of our stay - she's amazing), the food was delicious and worthy of a multitude of awards, the room was stylish, chic and comfortable (while maintaining the high standards of cleanliness that you come to expect with high-end hotels), and the facilities were amazing.

To break it down, I'll start with the room. We had room 19 (stableyard room), which has a mezzanine floor which houses the living room area (standard stuff... sofa, TV, jacuzzi... "What's that?! Jacuzzi?!" YES, A FLIPPING JACUZZI! I watched football from the flipping jacuzzi. It was amazing (not so much for the wife, but she's accustomed to making sacrifices, hence why she agreed to marry me)). If that wasn't enough, the shower room has a separate function - it's only a steam room too! Yep, not advertised in the brochure, but there you go. The room that keeps on giving.

We both had a spa treatment. I won't bang on about the different things in the spa as you've probably seen the details on the website, so I'll just say this: best massage I've ever had. Magic hands throughout the establishment.

Before we sat down to eat our incredibly intimate, romantic and tasty dinner we fancied a bit of entertainment, as you do. What did we do? Watched Predator in the hotel's own cinema (which, since you're asking, has pink sofas). Yep. We had it to ourselves. It cost us nothing because we were staying in the hotel. It was amazing. I quoted Arnie A LOT which the missus loved (probably), and it's one of the finest things a man can do. When I requested Predator the hotel didn't have it, so Clare just bought it. Amaze.

Just book it. Book it now.

Room Tip: Room 19. Unless we want it that weekend, obviously.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TheMurphioso

I am delighted that our staff went out of their way to make your stay a memorable one. It gives us great pleasure and we look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Our room in the gardens was fine with an excellent bed, bathroom and good facilities. The public rooms like Calcot Manor are excellent and a delight to sit in. We also appreciated the outdoor "Jacuzzi" in the Spa. Our breakfast and service was good and with a sunny morning enjoyed it at an outside table. The staff may be young etc but seemed unfailingly polite ,efficient and accessible. Our room was also next to the barn and certainly the cows made themselves noticeable - but this is a farming community.
The hotel is expensive and benchmarked against some others may appear to be poor value for money. However the house maintenance and garden upkeep must be seriously costly and I justified the cost by feeling the conservation of the estate required it.
Rural communities are enlivened by having a viable pub and so I wished to support it. However there are far too many tables and the one we ate at was poorly situated by a door and adjacent to a service space. Also there was a bar across the table legs which meant it was like sitting in the back seat of a car with no room for ones legs. Most uncomfortable. Also we simply did not believe that for example the waffles etc were "home made". I was also disappointed that only two beers were available. After all it is meant to be a pub and not just a restaurant! My advice is to eat in the hotel although I appreciate other Trip Advisor reviews feel otherwise. Ones view may depend on getting a reasonably situated table in the pub.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time and give us some feedback. We endeavour to better our offer and services and our guests' comments are always appreciated.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnsley
Calcot Manor
#2 of 6 in Broadway
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
#2 of 3 in Chipping Campden

Been to Barnsley House? Share your experiences!