“Always a pleasure”

Cirencester, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Always a pleasure”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

This is the place to go if you are in the area and i can guarantee you will be pleased with every aspect from food to service.

• Visited June 2014

Oxford, United Kingdom
“Well worth a visit”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Four of us recently enjoyed a weekday lunch here. Booking is essential. The service was quiet and efficient. The food was excellent. We will be returning and I have no hesitation in recommending it.

• Visited May 2014
London
“Too much gluten....”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I had heard positive comments about this place and the food and service were rather good. Also as a coeliac with a life long curse of the gluten free diet (as against the current celebrity fad diet) it was encouraging to see they had marked the few dishes that were gluten free with a G indicating that they were aware of the issue. Therefore it was rather disappointing to find that among the ubiquitous 8 deserts on offer not one was gluten free – the dreaded wheat flour being in all of them and most coeliacs are sick of being offered ice cream. The disappointment was somewhat exemplified because the previous day I had eaten at the wonderful Chez Bruce in London where at least two thirds of the creative desert menu was gluten free and they do not shout about it – it just is. So if you do not share the ever increasing curse of coeliac disease you will no doubt enjoy eating here with the wonderful Cotswolds around you.

• Visited May 2014
Cirencester, United Kingdom
“Good food, let down by poor service”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

After being recommended this pub, I was excited to visit and upon arriving, the pub looked cosy and welcoming. We were seated at a table in the restaurant area and had to wait quite a long time to be offered a drink. I put this down to them being busy and would have easily forgotten about that if everything from there on had been good.
Our order was taken and we were given a bread basket (delicious bread may I add) to snack on while we waited for our starters. The starters arrived, placed in front of us and the waiting staff promptly left without offering more drinks, even though our glasses were empty and my friend had to call over for a spoon to use with his starter.
We eventually caught the attention of one of the waiting staff to ask if we could see a wine list, by which point we had finished our starters and finally I felt I could actually start to relax.
Our main courses arrived and again the waiting staff promptly left and my friend and I were both sat waiting to see if anyone would come over with cutlery for us to use. No one emerged so in the end my friend got up from the table and helped himself to the cutlery on a nearby table. One of the waiting staff, or possibly even the manager (?) watched my friend gathering up the cutlery and didn't even offer to help or even apologise!
After eating our desserts we were sat at the table finishing our drinks, when a waiter came over and put our bill on the table (even though we hadn't asked for it) with no explanation he walked off so we were left assuming that they were hinting for us to pay up and leave!! Not the type of welcoming service you would expect, especially when the bill was £140 for 3 people.
The food is nicely presented and very tasty but the whole experience was let down by really disappointing service. We were given our first 'check back; when we were paying the bill..... so we felt it was a bit late to give our feedback by this point, particularly as they were practically closing up around us by that point.

• Visited April 2014
uk
“Mothers Day Lunch First Class”
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

I would like to say The Village Pub is just wonderful!

From start to finish it delivers first class on every level for our table of 4 this Mothering Sunday.

Team!

Our lunch could not have been better. It's a jewel in the crown that delivers consistently high quality food and service and leaves your wanting more.

It's well worth a few minutes drive out of Cirencester for this idyllic perfectness ......it's certainly leading the way and is a hard act to follow!
Love it!! ..... Please don't change.