All reviews william morris the pub sister pub hidden gem pork saturday night thames path lovely atmosphere great food hidden away both nights friendly locals off the beaten track main course evening meal lovely room small village
Reviewed 9 October 2018

Would I go again: No

Not sure why in the Michelin Guide the food is decent quality if I was to rank the place agains a standrd pub I would rank it higher but taking into account that its in the Michelin Guide it sets the bar higher hence the lower rank. I suspect it ended up in the guide purely because the chef is well known and has invested a lot in the area not for the food.

Positives: Location, its a really peaceful tranquile place
Improvment areas: Food to match the Michelin Guide level
Lunch box: Lacks moisture, tomatos worse then tesco finest, bread although nice nothing special.
Salad: Interesting tho not sure about the strong taste combinations.
Cake: Plain simple cheese cake with a strong taste of lemon neither moist enough nor interesting kick to it.

Asked to see the chef, at the end, to share the above but aparently he was busy althought the last dish for the night was served as confirmed by staff.

After posting the pictures on Instagram was contacted by The Plough manager hinting that its my fault for not ordering the most flavoursome dishes and only asking for dishes that would look good on a picture :) which makes me think.... why cant a dish that looks good also taste nice! ehhh well I gues I havent eaten in enough places to understand gastronomy....

Room tip: Great location average food, nothing special.
Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 8 October 2018

Stayed at The Bull in Fairford who informed us about their sister pub The Plough at Kelmscott, so we decided to have our Sunday lunch there - what a great choice! From the moment we entered the cozy bar and were shown through to the gorgeous restaurant area, nothing was too much trouble for Andrew and his team. The restaurant is beautifully presented, spotlessly clean, warm & very inviting. We both had the roast beef with all the trimmings which was outstanding and followed it up with ice cream & lemon cheesecake for dessert. All in all, a fabulous experience in the kind of pub you normally only see on postcards. Can't wait to go back!

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank ianm2005everton
Reviewed 24 September 2018

I booked the private room for my son's 30th birthday and there were 13 of us in total. From making the booking to the actual event, the staff were brilliant. Nothing was too much trouble. Andrew was fantastic and arranged a different veggie option for 2 of the party. We had a few late arrivers and Will made sure their meals were brought as soon as possible. He went above and beyond to accommodate everyone and the evening was a success. The food was superb and the service was perfect. Well done and thank you for making it such a lovely experience!

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Sharon S
Reviewed 1 September 2018

Stopped in on way to Kelmscott Manor for Saturday lunch. Lovely setting good pub garden. Food was excellent in quality and choice on menu and staff were friendly and helpful would strongly recommend. We have monkfish scampi and the Ham and eggs not very adventurous on our part but there was no worry there.... the flovour and presentation was great and the eggs were just something else - give it a try

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravelingSeagull
Reviewed 1 September 2018 via mobile

Hi, what more can I say, great place to stay, clean, spacious, brilliant customer service, the staff were very friendly and went out of there way to make you feel at home.

Brilliant chef, who even made me a fish pie (off the menu), great management team Andy etc.

We will return.

Rebecca and James

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank Venture90727
Andrew M, General Manager at The Plough at Kelmscott, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2018

Hi Rebecca,

So, so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Myself, Ben and the whole team loved having you and we can't wait until you visit again!

Thanks for the great comments. Have a lovely week.

Andrew