“A Chinese Cracker”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 October 2013

A strange restaurant in that it is not like your typical chinese restaurant but don't be put off because looks can deceive and the Rive Vale certain deceives. With only 4 tables it is smaller than your average chinese restaurant but what it lacks in size is certainly made up by the quality of the service and food. People travel from far a field to eat at this restaurant and once you eat there you'll know why. Very highly recommended - you will not be disappointed.

1  Thank Karin M

Reviewed 1 September 2013

I live in Lechlade not too far away from this restaurant/takeaway and popped in there last night for a takeaway. Food is always cooked to a very high standard. The vegetarian choices are also extremely good, and they will adapt meat dishes if required to suit vegetarians i.e. Singapore Noodles without the meat.

We have driven further afield to try out other Chinese Takeaways/ Restaurants, but there seems little point, this one never fails to get it right. Whilst I acknowledge that the restaurant area is a bit small, they will always do what they can to accommodate. When I popped in for a takeaway last night, they seemed to have one big group of circa 25, and had moved around chairs and tables to accommodate, and everyone seemed happy enough.

2  Thank John O
Reviewed 25 August 2013

This is a cracking little chinese. I live in Fairford which has 2. The Fairford chinese take aways hygiene scores are low and the food is poor, hence why we had to travel to find one we liked. Although they dont deliver, many of my neighbours also come here for thier chinese fix.

A good range on the menu, even though I often have the same meal. Service is pleasant and cooked quickly to order. I dont eat onions so my meals cant be taken from a pre made batch. The price is good also, especially for the south.

1  Thank butty_a
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Having read the reviews of the River Vale in Lechlade 11 of us, who were in a bowls tour from Wales, decided to try it out last Saturday evening. We didn't think for a minute we would be able to book having read there were only four tables, but we were lucky. What a welcome! (even though we arrived 45 minutes late due to poor service by a taxi company) The restaurant is owned and run by Win Ying, her sister & brother in law. Take no notice of 1st impressions - as previous reviewers have said - it is like eating in someone's front room.
We ordered in groups of 2, 3 or 4 & these orders were put on separate bills with great efficiency by Win. I was in a group of 4 and shared the set meal for 4 at a cost of £22 per head ( a shared platter of 5 different starters, aromatic duck with pancakes etc .,followed by 3 large mains with rice & tea or coffee). We are all VERY big eaters but we failed to finish - the meal would have fed 6 easily. The other groups had wonderful food too.
If I lived closer to Lechlade I would not be writing this review - I'd have to keep it a secret!

3  Thank Diwedd
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I've used River Vale for takeaways a couple of times, and found the food to be very good indeed. Last night, me and Mrs B decided to have a bit of a drive out, and a meal.

The restaurant is very small - only 4 tables, and not decorated like a Chinese restaurant at all. It is very homely, a bit like being in someone's front room. The lady owner is very friendly and welcoming, and gave some great recommendations....the fried dumplings with ginger and vinegar were out of this world. The salt and pepper squid is also worthy of a mention, beautifully cooked, and attractively presented. The toffee apple dessert was also a highlight.

All in all, a lovely meal, reasonably priced and good friendly service. We'll certainly be back for more.

3  Thank BeardyBill