“it's all about the location”
Review of El Caleton

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in El Cotillo
El Caleton
Reviewed 3 May 2013

i finally got to stay at el caleton .... in apartment 7. The many good things first ...
The apartment is well equiped, but most importnatly ... ideally located. Right on the beautiful beaches of El Cotillo. Alan the manager is very helpful, when required. Our airport transport was sorted and the staff were very accommodating with us because we had a late afternoon flight home. Margaret, too, was lovely.
The not so good bits ....... our key was not left for us, as arranged, when we arrived, so we had to hang around for 45 mins. If you can't bear cockroaches, I would stay away from El Caleton (or at least no.7). We were killing, or finding dead, between 4 and 6 large adults a day.
If you don't have a hire car, or similar, the apartments are a long way from everything except the one restaurant. I didn't realise what a pain this would be. My fault. It's a long way (30 min walk) to bring groceries etc.
Would I go again ? ..... Yes deffo.... but only with use of a car.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank rotaryguy

Reviewed 3 February 2013 via mobile

If you want five star air conditioned luxury with English TV channels, then you won't find it here.

What will find is a clean, well equiped, simply furnished apartment a few feet from one of the best beaches on the island.

All the basics are there, you can prepare a simple breakfast and a lunch for the beach or pop back for lunch as you will only be a minute away.

Perfect tranquility, and within a day I was totally switched off from work.

Beach was never crowded, great mix of nationalities, mainly British German and Spanish which are then split between clothed and nudists but no one really cares.

Nearest restaurant and beach bar are five minutes walk away and the centre of El Cotillo is 25 minutes brisk walk away and has a great choice of restaurants and bars.

El Cotillo is not for everyone but is everything to us and long may it remain that way.

• Stayed: January 2013
7  Thank Njh131
Reviewed 23 January 2013

We stayed at No.7 overlooking the trees and lagoon, though sadly the trees almost block the view of the lagoon and in the constant wind, sound like heavy rain lashing the building, but after a day or so of a two week stay, we got used to the sound and the semi obstructed view. It does mean you get to see birds, which love the trees.

The generator does take a while to get used to an being adjacent to our 2nd bedroom window was quite noisy until midnight when it cuts out and the house is plunged into darkness. There is no back up supply in this apartment so we had to put our milk in the freezer section of the fridge during the day to keep it cool enough to avoid going off. The TV was only Spanish language so it didn't really matter that the electric cut it off at midnight. After a few days, we got used to having candles or torches at the ready in order to use the bathroom and get to bed.

There were many mozzies when we went in May, but a combination of mozzie nets for the beds and mozzy bands meant only one bite in two weeks. Each window is fitted with mozzy screens though so as long as you are armed with a mozzy machine gun when you open the sliding doors and they are lining up to get in, you will be fine.

The cats outside, I thought they were well cute and I love the fact that they are cared for by the visitors and apartment owners. Surreal but cute.

Inside, the apartment was well equipped for simple self catering and has a lovely walk in tiled shower / bathroom. The beds were comfortable and the sheets were changed / made every few days. Nothing is 'perfect' or spanking new' in this apartment, but it was clean and tidy, the cleaners were excellent and it has a character of it's own. I do think the awful sun bleached cheap prints on the wall which now only have a remnant of blue ink left on them, a little tacky. Either put fresh images up or take them down altogether, otherwise why bother ?

The covers of the seating were awful in that every time you sit on the settee, the covers just get pulled down and you ended up sitting in a crumpled mess of covers/blankets.

Overall though, clean, tidy, provided for all of our needs, was not overlooked so you can go au naturelle on the balcony as well as the beach the house is built upon.

And after all, isn't this the point, the location is what this set of apartments is all about. The lagoons are great fun, clean, unpolluted, full of creatures to see when snorkelling from spider crabs and octopus to trigger and scorpion fish and vast numbers of other assorted species. The wind was actually a very pleasant relief from the often intense heat, even in May. The lava reefs are rough bt amazing and often worn into fantastic shapes. The sand conversely, blown in from the Sahara, is almost pure white, clean and hot. The sea was crystal clear (mostly) with great visibility. The waves beyond the reef are big and rough and even on the huge sandy embanked beach South of the village we saw nothing but big unswimmable surf for most of the two weeks. The lagoons are swimmable at any time. The lagoons in May, were uncrowded, but at the weekends, one or two native people were very clearly anti naturist and I was even spat at by one man, fist time tis ha ever happened. So I'd advise some polite courtesy at busy weekends when the locals are there. The weekends ARE busy around the apartment, but some of the camper vans literally park outside for a week at a time and there WERE signs of them using the bushes near the apartments as a night-time toilet with tissues strewn across the prickly plants. Even this though, did not unduly disturb me as the place was otherwise quiet and friendly and very VERY relaxed. By week 2, we used the weekend to drive to other locations further south in the island, to avoid the Cotillo crowds (relative term!) At all other times, this is naturist heaven and the whole 'house on a beach' approach is simply fantastic.

The points I have raised are in no way intended as negative criticism, they are just real life observations of what we experienced and would I stay in this very same apartment again, yes I would, and did any of these observations put me off my stay, no, not in any way (except the covers falling off the settee which really did do my head in after two weeks :-)

Having considered all the other amazing places we saw on FV, I still think El Cotillo is one of the absolute best, quietest and most relaxed and welcoming for naturists and textiles alike. Perhaps the best holiday I've had in years.

Room Tip: Although this apartment technically is closest to the sea, the large palm trees do obscure a LOT of...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank photoglyn
Reviewed 27 December 2012

We stayed at El Caleton #9. We had sunrise in the bedroom and sunrise from the balcony. From the balcony you have also views of an amazingly clean beautiful beach in front, just a few steps from the room... No noise, no roads nearby. The only thing I would improve would be the mattresses. I would put some better ones to have a better rest. Nothing else to say: it is the right place in a perfect environment. I will come again.

Room Tip: caleton #9 was very good, i can't talk about the rest because i don't know.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank TheEmptyQuarter
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Having read previous moans i feel the need to address the comments. We have just returned from another 2 weeks at EL Caleton in No.2 . We were there in March and are returning again next March . The cats that live at the location are in no way smelly and are resident there due to the generosity of the owners paying for their food , water and care. We have been to the apartment around ten times and have never once seen the cats even go to the toilet let alone found any signs of them going anywhere in the grounds.
The management being rude is definitely made up and i strongly object to the comment made by the previous review but then they were not happy . Don't come back then. We have only had holidays at this location for 5 years and i think that must speak for itself . We have no connection to any of the owners or the maangement and are visitors called Richard and Minnie who some of you may meet . I also believe that all the apartments have 24 hr electricity now and the generator only on to top up the batteries 2/3 times a day. The noise of it is hardly noticable and as an example of it is that we are in No.1 in March which is nearest to it , we had the choice of all apartments and would state No.1 being our first choice .
You may notice we have visited the local chinese and would highly reccomend it , the food was fantastic . We will return again and again , its exactly what we want and everything has always been perfect . The Management whether it has been Keith or Alan/Mary have always been courteous and polite and for example i broke the bed in No.2 (It was fairly old) , i slept in the spare as there was only one day to go . A new bed was present one day later .

Keep up the good work

Room Tip: Ground Floor are 1 , 2 , 4 , 5 , 6. Upper floor 3 ,7 , 8 , 9 . 10 and 11. 3 has a roof terrace . 3,4...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank MinRich
Reviewed 20 September 2012

We stayed for 8 days in no 2 and found the apartment to be very clean, adequately furnished and an amazing location looking out at the beach and lagoon. The restricted electricity supply was not even noticed. All in all a great holiday in a great location and we would not hesitate to recommend El Caleton for a peaceful and relaxing break. Excellent value!
The lagoons were fantastic especially at low water when the rock pools formed and the fish and crabs etc could be clearly seen. The lagoon beaches were uncrowded with excellent views.
The only down side was the smell of the numerous cats that live on site and seemed to favour a spot outside our bedroom window, annoyingly smelly at times.
We will return...

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank davidlinder
Reviewed 5 September 2012 via mobile

I stayed on number 11 which has fabulous views overlooking the lagoons.
The apartment is nicely decorated and had everything we needed for a comfortable relaxing holiday. Upon arriving unfortunately the previous guest had not vacated the apartment on time and the cleaners were still cleaning. I was travelling with 2 small children. I had to return 1 hour later I fully understand that there was nothing the cleaners could do as they cannot force someone out the door. but it was very selfish of the previous guest, they only looked out for themselves with no consideration for the next guest arriving. Upon returning I found the apartment ready and spotless well worth the extra wait. The children loved the location being so close to the beach. The lagoons gave them many happy hours of play. Apart from the selfishness of the previous guest this was the best location and the most relaxing holiday I have had and I must say I needed it. I will be returning and have already booked the apartment. I would recommend this apartment and location to anyone Thank you Mary and Alan for making our stay run so smooth see you next year. Wish it was sooner

• Stayed: August 2012
#3 of 12 in El Cotillo
Apartamentos el Cotillo
Apartamentos el Cotillo
#7 of 12 in El Cotillo

Been to El Caleton? Share your experiences!