“Atrocious”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cambourne
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Atrocious”
Reviewed 4 November 2011

The hotel is badly presented and the most depressing thing is the Management Team and their complete lack of support and guidance for their teams. The Restaurant and Bars Manager, Mr.[--], is a shining example of the disgusting attitudes displayed at this hotel. He is aggressive to his staff, rude, obnoxious and searingly arrogant. The way he performs his role is despicable, he has no respect for his team.

The waiting staff aren't much better, clueless and mostly rude and stand-offish.

Check-in was an absolute disgrace, I waited nearly an hour to check-in and was met by a stony-faced girl whose manners and attitude wouldn't have been out of place in a prison yard.

I would never recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Do not stay at The Cambridge Belfry.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, Operations Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 14 November 2011
Dear AR2020,
I am very sorry and disappointed to have read your review. I am anxious to be able to speak with you further to discuss directly your experience and receive your feedback, and would ask that you contact me at the hotel at your earliest convenience.
Kristian Campbell.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Korean first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2011

I am a student at Cambridge university and wanted to stay in a nice hotel nearby l for my boyfriend's birthday last week. I booked a superior room on the friday dinner, bed and breakfast deal but when we got there we found we had been upgraded to a suite as it was for a birthday. The room was fabulous and the food was equally as pleasing. The staff were so helpful, we had an excellent stay and look forward to coming back soon! Thank you so much for making his birthday so special!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 9 November 2011
Thank you Helen S, for your great feed back. I am glad your boyfriend enjoyed his birthday with us and the staff did us proud once again. We look forward to welcoming you back soon, maybe for your birthday!?
Kind regards
Berks
Reviewed 4 November 2011

Been impressed with other QHotels in the past. Thought we'd give this one a go for a weekend visit. The hotel is modern and easily accessible, though set in bland surroundings. The spa was very popular during our stay. The rooms comfortable and clean.

I would avoid the dinner service in the restaurant on anything other than the quietest of nights. Though both the set and a la carte menu looked tempting, the dinner service on Saturday night was like something out of Fawlty Towers, only without Basil. Double table bookings, long delays to get your pre-booked table, seating diners at dirty tables, not enough menus, interminable waits between courses, seated diners ignored, diners reduced to tears, not enough table staff, not enough cutlery, especially steak knives and dessert spoons. I could go on.

But the worst aspect was the lack of any 'front of house' supervision for the majority of the evening, just so unprofessional. There was no-one to complain to except the harried table staff. Total chaos.

On checkout the following day, there was no explanation given, no apology offered and no management present. The receptionist reluctantly waived a trivial amount of the meal cost to appease us.

We couldn't get out the door quick enough and will never return.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you MnJ-McG, for your honest feedback. I am disappointed your dinning experience was not up to our usual standard. On a more positive note I am glad you found us easy to access and our rooms clean and comfortable.
Somerset
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Disappointing. We booked dinner, bed and breakfast online and when we arrived at the hotel at 4pm we were told that the only dinner time available was 9.15pm. No minibar and no icemakers and no bottled water so had to go down to bar to ask for ice . Otherwise the room was comfortable enough and the dinner was quite good although portions were not generous

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 3 November 2011
Thank you Andersea for your review, I am afraid we do not offer ice machines on the floors or mini bars in our rooms however complimentary bottled water is provided in all our superior rooms.
Due to high demand we would always recommend that our guests pre-book dinner reservations in advance and I am sorry you had to wait until 9pm to eat. On a more positive note I am glad you found our rooms comfortable and the food good.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon and if you get in touch we will make sure we have an ice bucket waiting for you in your room.
Essex
Reviewed 1 November 2011

i booked a spa break with dinner and overnight accommodation for my husband and i as a surprise for him. I didn't book with the hotel directly and there was a problem with my booking (the company booked us into the wrong hotel). The spa manager (Jackie i think) was beyond professional and caring in her handling of this situation. She asked us to have a coffee in the lounge whilst she sorted the whole thing out for us and treated us to drinks at lunch time to compensate. This could have been an awful experience and could have spoiled what should have been a calming retreat for us. Instead her customer services skills almost smoothed the whole thing over. Thanks once again, the spa and treatments were great, the food in the hotel was lovely and we really enjoyed our stay and the following day spent in historic Cambridge.

• Liked — Looked good and clean
  • Disliked — Nothing
    • Check-in / front desk
Thank you Essexlovesholidays for your positive review. I will pass your thanks on to Jacki our Leisure and Spa manager for helping you during your stay. It is also nice to learn you enjoyed the Food and the Spa treatments.
Please pass on our birthday wishes to your husband and we look forward to welcoming back maybe next year?
Warm regards
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I stayed at the Belfry for one week for business purposes since the office was a 5-10 minute walk from the hotel. This is not a 4 star hotel as indicated, but more of a good 3 star hotel. The room was spacious and the bathroom modern and clean. The WiFi worked well most of the time but keep in mind that there was no A/C in the room, only a heater. Not a problem for me since I was there in October, but it can be a concern in the summer time. The hotel did have what appeared to be a nice pool and gym, although I did not have time to try them while there. All in all, it served its purpose quite well as a business hotel so it would have gotten a four star review from me, instead of three, if not for the following things:
- My room card key kept being reset so I had to go to the front desk to get it fixed. This happened 3 times in the week I was there. Some of my other co-workers had the same thing happened to them several times as well.
- The pillow sham and bed cover had stains on it.
- The hotel's fire alarm went off at around 2AM one night and did not stop for quite some time.
- The walls are very thin so I could hear people walking around upstairs and doors being closed through out the night.
- Some people in the front desk were not very helpful when it came to providing dinning/pubs info around town.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Thank you Bocarob, for your comments. I can assure you we are a 4 star hotel as accredited by the AA. I am glad you found the room spacious, the pool and gym nice and the free wifi useful. We do not have a real need for Air conditioning but do provide fans in all room. I am sorry your key card stopped working and the walls seemed thin. I will pass on your comments about our reception team to the front office manager as we normally receive only praise for the staff here at the hotel.
Should business bring you back to the area we would look forward to welcoming you back.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2011

My friends booked this hotel as a relaxing spa weekend for my 25th B'day present.

I am not usually one to complain as I am a frequent traveller and realise things do not always go to plan, however we encountered problem after problem with this stay. Upon checking in, we were told the buffet lunch was from 12 onwards, we went to the restaurant around 12.15 only to be told we had to wait about another 10 minutes. The next issue we had was with the spa treatment, our experience was to include a mini facial and one of the girls in our group did not get a facial and came out with her full face of makeup still on!

The next problem was dinner - we had booked on an all inclusive package and were not advised at checking in that a booking was required for the restaurant. Upon arrival at the restaurant we were told we would have to wait over an hour for a table. We opted to be served in the bar area even though we could see empty tables in the restaurant. We ordered a bottle of wine and the barmen bought over the wine with 4 dirty wine glasses. We had to ask for fresh glasses as he was going to pour the wine into these dirty glasses! We were then given some menus to read over only to have one of the waitresses come and take 2 away about 5 minutes after giving them to us as they has run out. Eventually tired of sitting around a small round table in the bar for over an hour with only our entree's coming we spoke to another member of staff who arranged a table in the restaurant for us. We when continued to wait another hour for our main meals to arrive. Once finished eating, our dishes weren't cleared away, we had to ask another staff member to clear the table, then after requesting our dessert we again had to wait a considerable amount of time for it to come out.

The last straw for us was when checking out and paying the bill, was the realisation that we had been charged twice. The people working on the front desk were not helpful and told us that the money was in a holding deposit and would be back in the account within a couple of hours, needless to say 24 hours later, still no money!

Apart from having a great weekend in the company of my friends and Cambridge being a lovely place, I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Thank you KLP86 for taking the time offer feed back. Your experience here at the hotel is certainly not our usual standard and please be assured I will be discussing all your point in depth with the service team.
Only with such honest feed back can we improve our offerings so thank you and please accept my apology that your stay was not up to our normal high standards.
Mike Evans
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambourne
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
#8 of 36 in Cambridge
Holiday Inn Cambridge
Holiday Inn Cambridge
#11 of 36 in Cambridge

Been to The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel? Share your experiences!