“Comfortable and friendly”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cambourne
Whitstable, United Kingdom
“Comfortable and friendly”
Reviewed 4 November 2012

We stayed here as we wanted to visit Cambridge and nearby National Trust places. All the staff were very friendly and we had good service throughout our stay. Breakfast was very good although it was very busy in the restaurant. The gym and pool are excellent. Cambridge park and ride is only 10 minutes by car, so very convenient. Would definitely use again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Peter G
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 6 November 2012
Dear Peter G

Many thanks for your kind review, I'm pleased you enjoyed your time with us at the hotel. I will share your review with my team and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Mike Evans

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Korean first
Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2012 via mobile

A good clean hotel with good facilities,highly pleasant staff and above average food especially if dining with a pre arranged group. Cambourne is a strange almost Stepford like location but this is a good bet if you don't want to stay nearer to Cambridge.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear artegall

Just a quick note to thank you for your review, I will share your comments with my team.
Reviewed 31 October 2012

Good value for money. Average food, good facilities- swimming pool, gym, sauna/steam room. Service average. Staff polite and generally helpful. Breakfast not the standard expected of a 4 star rating. Ideally placed for exploring Cambridge city.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear revrobert

Thank you for taking the time to give me your feedback. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy breakfast but I'm not quite sure why, perhaps you could give me a call and elaborate for me. Otherwise it looks like you enjoyed yourself.
I hope we will get the chance to look after you again one day.
Great Yarmouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2012

My partner and I checked in on the Saturday and were greeted well. We entered our room and upon sitting on the bed discovered that the center of the bed was supported on the right hand side by a book and that the throw was thread bare. We noted it on the room maintenance card. The next day the wheel for the bed was replaced but the throw was not. This was a superior room I believe. The fridge did not work the entire time we were there but in defense of the staff we kept forgetting to mention it. We were not informed that dinner tables had to be pre-booked until we arrived at the hotel and attempted to enter the restaurant. We ordered dinner from the bar and ate it in the bar lounge at a coffee table (highly unimpressive and awkward). The food was lovely but unfortunately not a pleasant atmosphere for us as a wedding reception was being held that night at the hotel and the wedding guests were all hanging around the bar area shouting and children running around screaming and bumping things. This prevented us from having a quite drink and meal in the bar lounge when the wedding guests should have been in the hall allocated to them. There were other customers who left the bar because of this and we even had to share our coffee/dinner table with other guests whilst we ate. The rest of the stay was pleasant enough but we made no other attempt to have dinner there after the first nights experience. We reserved ourselves to our rooms. It was meant to be a romantic getaway without our children and did not quite work out that way. Checkout was painless. Most of the staff were good with the exception of a couple but I got the impression they were feeling the stress from the number of people in the wedding party too. One member of staff did state that our dinner would be about half an hour wait because of the wedding party food delaying the kitchen and that he had to search for cutlery because it was too hectic. I would not even say the standards matched Premier Inn let alone 4 star as boasted on the website. The carpet in the room also seemed to have what looked like a very large coffee stain. The shower was lovely though.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Willem L
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 31 October 2012
Dear Willem L

I'm am unable to identify which room you stayed in during your time with us. Housekeeping regularly pull the beds out from the wall when cleaning and as yet have not found a book. Perhaps you would be kind enough to give me a call to let me know which room you stayed in. I am however, very sorry if the wedding party detracted from your enjoyment, we do try to offer a portable bar option in the function room to try and reduce the pressure on the main bar, which usually works.
I hope you will try us again one day and I thank you for your feedback.
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Rooms are very clean and modern along with the rest of the hotel. Food Is very good did not expect such a great choice for lunch on the spa package. Would just suggest the robes for the spa are updated,very warn and does not give a very good first impression of the spa, also more beds in the spa are needed.
Staff are very good always helpful and our group of 7 felt very looked after.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 30 October 2012
Dear Jane A

Good to see you and your friends enjoyed yourselves on your recent spa break. I will share your observations with our laundry supplier as there should be no reason for them to supply us with inferior stock.
Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts and we hope to welcome you back one day soon.
Bottesford, Leics
Reviewed 27 October 2012

Mixed hotel. Dated rooms and very average restaurant. Slow service and relatively uninterested, young staff. Good bar staff but simple food took ages and they don't know how to make a Caesar salad! Leisure facilities and staff were very good. Nice bathroom and room was simple but ok. We booked a double room with extra bed but upon arrival, there was only a double bed. My 7 year old daughter had a z-bed brought in for her and we had to shove the furniture out the way to get the bed in - not really what we'd expect in a four-star hotel - staff said there was no other option. On Imbalance, we wouldn't come back to this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 29 October 2012
Dear MatShort

Thank you for your review, I'm sorry that you found my team "uninterested" as it is rare for me to receive a negative comment about them as you can see from previous reviews. I would be interest to know who might have given you that impression. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel, so I can investigate further.
Reviewed 27 October 2012 via mobile

I stayed here as a woman on my own following a business event. Staff were really friendly, polite, responsive and non-intrusive. Lovely evening meal proved good value for money at £16. The room was spacious and clean which led to a well earned good night's sleep. The free wifi is always a bonus. Unfortunately, I didn't get to use the spa but it looked good. Just be aware it is a good distance from the City Centre, if that is what you are looking for, this wasn't an issue for me, as I had the car.

Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Dear Fifitinto

I enjoyed reading your review, which I will share with my team. I'm especially pleased that as a lady travelling on her own, you felt relaxed and well looked after.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.
Mike Evans
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambourne
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
#2 of 36 in Cambridge
Holiday Inn Cambridge
Holiday Inn Cambridge
#13 of 36 in Cambridge

Been to The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel? Share your experiences!