“Lovely hotel once the heating was turned on”

The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cambourne
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel once the heating was turned on”
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We spent one night here on a business trip. In spite of the cool outdoor temperature (no more than 10 degree high that day), the central heating was off when we arrived. Our room was cold and we were initially offered a space heater. We felt this was a somewhat underwhelming solution for a 4* hotel. After speaking to Laura, the duty manager, she agreed to override the system and turn on the heating. From that point our stay was lovely.
Room was spacious, well-appointed and comfortable. Bathroom even had a separate shower. Free Wi-Fi. Great breakfast. Well-equipped gym. The spa was rather petite but had the facilities you'd expect - swimming pool (small), sauna, steam room, fancy shower, jacuzzi...
I would happily stay there again on another business trip, but I would hesitate to book a spa day there because of the size of the facilities. There appeared to be some people who were there on that basis and, perhaps because of half term, the pool area was over-run with children, some of whom were having swimming lessons.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 6 November 2012
Dear nomad046

I'm pleased we were able to rectify the temperature problem to your satisfaction and that Laura responded quickly to your request.
I will make the team aware of your comments and I thank you for taking the time to write your review.
Mike Evans

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Korean first
Kings Lynn
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We had booked in for a one night stay as part of the Comedy Club package.
Check in was as expected, swift and painless.
Our room was just as expected for this type of hotel, clean & tidy. Couple of little niggles. No bottles of water in the room (which we have come to expect as the norm) and the shower hose was broken. But we could live with this.
The thing that did annoy a little was the room service. Thye make a big deal about the room service but in practice it was poor. I tried to order some food on arrival. ONce we eventually got through (to the bar I believe) our order was taken with an ETA of 40 mins. An hour later I phoned for a progress report and was told the order never went through. By this time I thought I would wait for dinner and was promised a drink at the bar. Very nice I thought! It never happened though!
The set meal with the comedy evening was nice for the number of people they had to cater for.
The comedy was poor but nothing to do with the hotel.
Breakfast was excellent and set us up for the day.
All in all a pleasant stay with no real highs or lows.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear LPML1977

Thank you for taking the time to complete the review, and rest assured I will investigate the issue around your room service as this is not our usual level of performance. Comedy Club is very popular at the hotel and I will feedback to them your comments, I'm sure they will be interested.
Once again thank you.
Liverpool
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Stayed 3 nights from 1-4 November in a penthouse suite. Huge bathroom, bedroom. Lovely to have lobby with toilet off it and a v good living room. We tracked down a fridge through a v nice maintenance guy who was carrying one around despite being told there wasn't any, but expected one really in a big suite is my only little gripe.

Our break itself was a disaster... Travelled with 2 children aged 3 and 1. The 1 year old was very poorly. The hotel made us feel at home.. Bent over backwards to accommodate us during this bad time involving 2 emergency doctors and hospital. They sent our restaurant food course by course to our room, nothing was too much trouble ( many thanks to the waiter and 2 waitresses on 1st November whoever you are).

Chloe on reception was fantastic... Organising doctor, helping with directions, courtesy calls to room, so helpful and genuinely caring.

It was a friendly hotel and I'd recommend to anyone wanting a modern, clean hotel. It was a bit far out in a big purpose built housing estate but having a morrisons, few shops, pub and other bits and bobs so close was v helpful.

Many thanks to all here.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank CAG1
Dear CAG1

I'm sorry that illness spoilt your time with us at the hotel but obviously pleased my team did all they could to make things as good as possible for you.
I will share your comments with Chloe and the team. I hope the little one is fully recovered and hopefully we can welcome you back to the hotel one day.
Whitstable, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2012

We stayed here as we wanted to visit Cambridge and nearby National Trust places. All the staff were very friendly and we had good service throughout our stay. Breakfast was very good although it was very busy in the restaurant. The gym and pool are excellent. Cambridge park and ride is only 10 minutes by car, so very convenient. Would definitely use again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Peter G
Dear Peter G

Many thanks for your kind review, I'm pleased you enjoyed your time with us at the hotel. I will share your review with my team and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2012 via mobile

A good clean hotel with good facilities,highly pleasant staff and above average food especially if dining with a pre arranged group. Cambourne is a strange almost Stepford like location but this is a good bet if you don't want to stay nearer to Cambridge.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear artegall

Just a quick note to thank you for your review, I will share your comments with my team.
Reviewed 31 October 2012

Good value for money. Average food, good facilities- swimming pool, gym, sauna/steam room. Service average. Staff polite and generally helpful. Breakfast not the standard expected of a 4 star rating. Ideally placed for exploring Cambridge city.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear revrobert

Thank you for taking the time to give me your feedback. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy breakfast but I'm not quite sure why, perhaps you could give me a call and elaborate for me. Otherwise it looks like you enjoyed yourself.
I hope we will get the chance to look after you again one day.
Great Yarmouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2012

My partner and I checked in on the Saturday and were greeted well. We entered our room and upon sitting on the bed discovered that the center of the bed was supported on the right hand side by a book and that the throw was thread bare. We noted it on the room maintenance card. The next day the wheel for the bed was replaced but the throw was not. This was a superior room I believe. The fridge did not work the entire time we were there but in defense of the staff we kept forgetting to mention it. We were not informed that dinner tables had to be pre-booked until we arrived at the hotel and attempted to enter the restaurant. We ordered dinner from the bar and ate it in the bar lounge at a coffee table (highly unimpressive and awkward). The food was lovely but unfortunately not a pleasant atmosphere for us as a wedding reception was being held that night at the hotel and the wedding guests were all hanging around the bar area shouting and children running around screaming and bumping things. This prevented us from having a quite drink and meal in the bar lounge when the wedding guests should have been in the hall allocated to them. There were other customers who left the bar because of this and we even had to share our coffee/dinner table with other guests whilst we ate. The rest of the stay was pleasant enough but we made no other attempt to have dinner there after the first nights experience. We reserved ourselves to our rooms. It was meant to be a romantic getaway without our children and did not quite work out that way. Checkout was painless. Most of the staff were good with the exception of a couple but I got the impression they were feeling the stress from the number of people in the wedding party too. One member of staff did state that our dinner would be about half an hour wait because of the wedding party food delaying the kitchen and that he had to search for cutlery because it was too hectic. I would not even say the standards matched Premier Inn let alone 4 star as boasted on the website. The carpet in the room also seemed to have what looked like a very large coffee stain. The shower was lovely though.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Willem L
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 31 October 2012
Dear Willem L

I'm am unable to identify which room you stayed in during your time with us. Housekeeping regularly pull the beds out from the wall when cleaning and as yet have not found a book. Perhaps you would be kind enough to give me a call to let me know which room you stayed in. I am however, very sorry if the wedding party detracted from your enjoyment, we do try to offer a portable bar option in the function room to try and reduce the pressure on the main bar, which usually works.
I hope you will try us again one day and I thank you for your feedback.
Mike Evans
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambourne
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
#8 of 36 in Cambridge
Holiday Inn Cambridge
Holiday Inn Cambridge
#12 of 36 in Cambridge

Been to The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel? Share your experiences!