We spent 3 nights here in a standard room and feel we got good value for the price we paid. This is at the lower end of 4* rated hotels in my opinion. It has the facilities to warrant 4* (iron, hairdryer, wi-fi, pool, spa etc) and is a comfortable well maintained hotel but without the extra touches and lacking any wow factor. The doors to the rooms are thin (so we had one badly disturbed Friday night) and the furniture is at the budget end for 4* but solid and decent nonetheless.
Having said that, I feel the hospitality was spot on. Staff always greeted us; at reception, at breakfast, in the corridors and lifts, at the spa. Staff were courteous, polite and genuine. When we mentioned our disturbed night (very much down to the guests and not the hotel's fault) we were offered a different room at the end of a corridor and sure enough we had a very peaceful night there. The maintenance cards in the rooms and follow up survey emailed to us later all suggest that Q hotels are keen to respond and to maintain standards.
Our room had everything we needed and the separate shower cubicle was much appreciated. Housekeeping were efficient but perhaps needed to pay a little more attention to the details (we had a couple of ceiling cobwebs that remained after they had been in to clean). It was a very busy weekend with a lot of staff working.
I particularly enjoyed the breakfasts - I'm instantly won over by a hotel that serves warm almond croissants and hot chocolate! The selection of food was comprehensive and the kitchen seemed to keep up with demand; hot dishes were frequently refreshed, juice and yoghurt supplies refilled. Breakfast time was pretty busy but staff remained cheerful and happy to help and responded courteously on the occasion when we needed to remind them we'd made a drink order that hadn't yet arrived.
We used the spa facilities each day. When we arrived on the Thursday the jacuzzi was out of action but the staff were committed to resolving the problem and sure enough it was working before the night was out. The pool is small but adequate and the sauna and steam room were fine. The jacuzzi was the highlight and one of the best I've experienced so I'm glad they got it fixed! Changing facilities are nice though the shower in our room was far better than those on offer near the pool. A swimwear spin drier would be a welcome addition in the changing rooms and something that I would expect in similar facilities.
The location is fairly uninspiring to me but the hotel is easy to access and parking is sufficient for a large hotel that gets very busy. Our main aim was to spend time relaxing in comfortable surroundings and I feel this hotel provides this. If you want luxury and all the little extras then this is not the place for you (but nor does the price suggest it would be, in my opinion). The chain may boast individual hotels but there are no individual touches to the rooms - it very much has an 'out of the box' branded feel. Again, fair enough for the price.
I would stay again and would recommend this hotel as a decent and comfortable place to stay with a warm and genuine welcome.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Cambridge Belfry is located in Cambourne in Cambridgeshire. It is only a short distance from many major road networks including the M1 and A1. The hotel is oh so close to the famous city of Cambridge, so whether you fancy punting on the river or a tour of the famous University, you'll be there in no time at all. The hotel has 120 bedrooms, a state of the art leisure club, a relaxing spa and 8 meeting and conference rooms. Take advantage of the sophisticated meeting rooms equipped with the latest technology to help your meetings run smoothly.When it comes to dining, you can enjoy seasonal specialities that the talented Chefs create overlooking the lovely, edge-of-the-village lakeside view. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Expedia, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cambridge Belfry - a q Hotel Cambourne
- Cambridge Belfry Cambourne
- The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel Cambourne, Cambridgeshire