“Good value hotel with facilities you'd expect for 4* but no wow factor”

The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cambourne
Canada
“Good value hotel with facilities you'd expect for 4* but no wow factor”
Reviewed 6 November 2012

We spent 3 nights here in a standard room and feel we got good value for the price we paid. This is at the lower end of 4* rated hotels in my opinion. It has the facilities to warrant 4* (iron, hairdryer, wi-fi, pool, spa etc) and is a comfortable well maintained hotel but without the extra touches and lacking any wow factor. The doors to the rooms are thin (so we had one badly disturbed Friday night) and the furniture is at the budget end for 4* but solid and decent nonetheless.
Having said that, I feel the hospitality was spot on. Staff always greeted us; at reception, at breakfast, in the corridors and lifts, at the spa. Staff were courteous, polite and genuine. When we mentioned our disturbed night (very much down to the guests and not the hotel's fault) we were offered a different room at the end of a corridor and sure enough we had a very peaceful night there. The maintenance cards in the rooms and follow up survey emailed to us later all suggest that Q hotels are keen to respond and to maintain standards.

Our room had everything we needed and the separate shower cubicle was much appreciated. Housekeeping were efficient but perhaps needed to pay a little more attention to the details (we had a couple of ceiling cobwebs that remained after they had been in to clean). It was a very busy weekend with a lot of staff working.
I particularly enjoyed the breakfasts - I'm instantly won over by a hotel that serves warm almond croissants and hot chocolate! The selection of food was comprehensive and the kitchen seemed to keep up with demand; hot dishes were frequently refreshed, juice and yoghurt supplies refilled. Breakfast time was pretty busy but staff remained cheerful and happy to help and responded courteously on the occasion when we needed to remind them we'd made a drink order that hadn't yet arrived.
We used the spa facilities each day. When we arrived on the Thursday the jacuzzi was out of action but the staff were committed to resolving the problem and sure enough it was working before the night was out. The pool is small but adequate and the sauna and steam room were fine. The jacuzzi was the highlight and one of the best I've experienced so I'm glad they got it fixed! Changing facilities are nice though the shower in our room was far better than those on offer near the pool. A swimwear spin drier would be a welcome addition in the changing rooms and something that I would expect in similar facilities.
The location is fairly uninspiring to me but the hotel is easy to access and parking is sufficient for a large hotel that gets very busy. Our main aim was to spend time relaxing in comfortable surroundings and I feel this hotel provides this. If you want luxury and all the little extras then this is not the place for you (but nor does the price suggest it would be, in my opinion). The chain may boast individual hotels but there are no individual touches to the rooms - it very much has an 'out of the box' branded feel. Again, fair enough for the price.
I would stay again and would recommend this hotel as a decent and comfortable place to stay with a warm and genuine welcome.

1 Thank mrsspikes
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 8 November 2012
Dear mrsspikes

Thank you for your review and I'm pleased that you felt we offered value for money and in general that you enjoyed your stay and would return. All 21 of our hotels are indeed different but many share the same décor. I think this is usual for many of the big brands as guest like to feel familiar with their surrounding and reassured that quality of the hotel, is going to be similar no matter which hotel they select, but i appreciate your comment.
Once again thank you for your review and i look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Mike Evans

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Korean first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2012

The hotel itself was good - better than expected. Cambourne is a weird place though. Not much to do here so ended up staying in hotel more than expected. Breakfast was pretty good. Staff all seemed very friendly and no issues at all with the room. Gym was fine and conference facilities are good.

Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Dear David F

Thank you for your review, Cambourne as a new village is still growing and i'm sure if you return in the future you will have a better view of the place. It is undeniably well located to Cambridge though, which is a great benefit.
Once again many thanks for your review.
Manningtree, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2012

I stayed here with my 2 children (age 11 & 9) and a friend with 2 children the same age as a half term treat recently.
We had visited The Imperial War Museum at Duxford during the day and this hotel was very conveniently located nearby.
We had upgraded to 2 Junior Suites to accommodate our children with an extra bed, and both our sons were delighted with what they named their 'bed-sits' where the hotel had made extra beds in the sitting room area of the Suites,
Which went down very well with all of us.
The rooms were perfect in every way, my only complaint being it was very hot and there was no fridge in the place where it was obviously supposed to be, but other than that we were very pleased.
Dinner was fine but very very slow. The children's meals were fabulous with very generous portions and interesting choices (make your own burger, chicken fajitas, spag bol). The adult food was nice but a little disappointing and small (smaller than the children's portions)portions.
I had a fish dish with a burnt, in edible crust B's the dessert choice came without the promised baileys ice cream.
When we went into dinner we saw what looked like a dessert buffet. This later transpired to be a servery for the waiting staff to serve the desserts from, having sat in the warm air of the restaurant all night. Strange and not too pleasant.
The restaurant is letting them down I feel.
The breakfast buffet was fine though and well done. I ordered poached eggs which were perfectly cooked and didn't take too long.
The only thing which made me really cross was the fact that we had chosen this hotel as it has a pool. On checking in at 4.30 we were told no children were allowed in after 5pm as it was for members only. Ggggrrrrr!
We were told we told we could use the pool from 6.30 so imagine our shock when, having got up early to swim at 8am, we were told no children till 9am!!! The poor guy on the Leisure club reception got an earful!!!
I was not happy but the hotel rescued the situation by giving the children free hot chocolates. Just be sure to check the times if you plan to stay here and have children expecting to swim.
The following day was spent shopping in Cambridge- an easy car or park and ride journey away.
I love this hotel when I visit Cambridge, it's great if you don't want to be in the city, but I wouldn't bother with the restaurant next time

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank FlossyBlossom
Dear FlossyBlossom

Thank you for your comprehensive review, I will take a number of your points and see if we can improve in those areas. In particular the swimming times. I will try to make this more prominent with in our web page, to avoid the disappointment that you experienced.
Thank you for the pointers.
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We spent one night here on a business trip. In spite of the cool outdoor temperature (no more than 10 degree high that day), the central heating was off when we arrived. Our room was cold and we were initially offered a space heater. We felt this was a somewhat underwhelming solution for a 4* hotel. After speaking to Laura, the duty manager, she agreed to override the system and turn on the heating. From that point our stay was lovely.
Room was spacious, well-appointed and comfortable. Bathroom even had a separate shower. Free Wi-Fi. Great breakfast. Well-equipped gym. The spa was rather petite but had the facilities you'd expect - swimming pool (small), sauna, steam room, fancy shower, jacuzzi...
I would happily stay there again on another business trip, but I would hesitate to book a spa day there because of the size of the facilities. There appeared to be some people who were there on that basis and, perhaps because of half term, the pool area was over-run with children, some of whom were having swimming lessons.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 6 November 2012
Dear nomad046

I'm pleased we were able to rectify the temperature problem to your satisfaction and that Laura responded quickly to your request.
I will make the team aware of your comments and I thank you for taking the time to write your review.
Kings Lynn
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We had booked in for a one night stay as part of the Comedy Club package.
Check in was as expected, swift and painless.
Our room was just as expected for this type of hotel, clean & tidy. Couple of little niggles. No bottles of water in the room (which we have come to expect as the norm) and the shower hose was broken. But we could live with this.
The thing that did annoy a little was the room service. Thye make a big deal about the room service but in practice it was poor. I tried to order some food on arrival. ONce we eventually got through (to the bar I believe) our order was taken with an ETA of 40 mins. An hour later I phoned for a progress report and was told the order never went through. By this time I thought I would wait for dinner and was promised a drink at the bar. Very nice I thought! It never happened though!
The set meal with the comedy evening was nice for the number of people they had to cater for.
The comedy was poor but nothing to do with the hotel.
Breakfast was excellent and set us up for the day.
All in all a pleasant stay with no real highs or lows.

Dear LPML1977

Thank you for taking the time to complete the review, and rest assured I will investigate the issue around your room service as this is not our usual level of performance. Comedy Club is very popular at the hotel and I will feedback to them your comments, I'm sure they will be interested.
Once again thank you.
Liverpool
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Stayed 3 nights from 1-4 November in a penthouse suite. Huge bathroom, bedroom. Lovely to have lobby with toilet off it and a v good living room. We tracked down a fridge through a v nice maintenance guy who was carrying one around despite being told there wasn't any, but expected one really in a big suite is my only little gripe.

Our break itself was a disaster... Travelled with 2 children aged 3 and 1. The 1 year old was very poorly. The hotel made us feel at home.. Bent over backwards to accommodate us during this bad time involving 2 emergency doctors and hospital. They sent our restaurant food course by course to our room, nothing was too much trouble ( many thanks to the waiter and 2 waitresses on 1st November whoever you are).

Chloe on reception was fantastic... Organising doctor, helping with directions, courtesy calls to room, so helpful and genuinely caring.

It was a friendly hotel and I'd recommend to anyone wanting a modern, clean hotel. It was a bit far out in a big purpose built housing estate but having a morrisons, few shops, pub and other bits and bobs so close was v helpful.

Many thanks to all here.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank CAG1
Dear CAG1

I'm sorry that illness spoilt your time with us at the hotel but obviously pleased my team did all they could to make things as good as possible for you.
I will share your comments with Chloe and the team. I hope the little one is fully recovered and hopefully we can welcome you back to the hotel one day.
Whitstable, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2012

We stayed here as we wanted to visit Cambridge and nearby National Trust places. All the staff were very friendly and we had good service throughout our stay. Breakfast was very good although it was very busy in the restaurant. The gym and pool are excellent. Cambridge park and ride is only 10 minutes by car, so very convenient. Would definitely use again.

1 Thank Peter G
Dear Peter G

Many thanks for your kind review, I'm pleased you enjoyed your time with us at the hotel. I will share your review with my team and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Mike Evans
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambourne
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
#2 of 36 in Cambridge
Holiday Inn Cambridge
Holiday Inn Cambridge
#13 of 36 in Cambridge

Been to The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel? Share your experiences!