“Not a 4* hotel”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cambourne
Sussex
“Not a 4* hotel”
Reviewed 20 November 2012

This hotel is in desperate need of a revamp. I am surprised it has been rated as a 4*. It is much more like an average 3*. Don't get me wrong it is clean enough, but a bit dowdy with a smokey smell that seems to fill the corridors and guest rooms.

The hotel was extremely busy when we were there, with two weddings and a Hen party, so large groups of people were staying for the weekend and it was quite noisy. This meant breakfast was frantic and the spa completely overloaded. The spa facilities were one of the reasons we selected this hotel, but on visiting them on Friday afternoon, half of the very small pool was cordoned off for swimming lessons and there was a queue to get into the Jacuzzi. Very disappointing.

If you are visiting Cambridge, there are much nicer hotels on offer.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, Operations Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 22 November 2012
Dear KarenSussex2,

Thank you for posting your review.

Our hotel can be busy over a weekend when we have functions taking place but we are set up to allow for these to be contained within their function rooms. Reservations for the spa on a weekend are always recommended as you will have experienced we are a popular venue. We have a regular maintenance programme within the hotel by our on site maintenance team so I am disappointed to read your comments relating to this.

Kind Regards,
Luke Comerford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Korean first
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2012

We stayed at the hotel for two nights can't fault the room at all spotlesly clean however the meal in the resturant was a disaster . We were kept waiting nearly an hour for our food one meal had to be sent back as it was stone cold so the rest of us had finished our meals there was no proper apology from the kitchen and no body came to check if the fresh meal was ok .I must agree with other people about the deserts being left out the whole of the evening in the warm resturant. We didn't even know who the resturant manager was no one seemed to be in charge it was all a bit hit and miss. The second night we ate in the bar what a difference the food and the service was excellent. We have stayed many times at Q hotels but never experienced a resturant like this one.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Dear jayne g,

Thank you for posting your review following your stay with us.

May I apologise for the problems you experienced in the restaurant when dining with us. I am pleased that your second evening spent in the bar was a better experience for you.
I am unable to track from your review when you stayed with us and would welcoming speaking with you further so I can investigate the issues you had. Please contact me at the hotel if you wish to do so.

Kind Regards
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2012

The room was excellent could find no fault there spotlessly clean. Had booked a table in the restaurant . We were shown to our table by a very polite young man the menus were already there. He advised us our waiter would be over shortly and tell us about the specials on the menu at this point we seem to be abandoned . The waiter did arrive eventually we asked him about any specials on the menu but was told there were none . So we ordered of the menu starters arrived everything going reasonably well at this point. Then the mains arrived there were four of us three meals were ok but my husbands steak was stone cold. We told the waitress and she took it away by the time it was returned the rest of us had finished our meals. All that was said was chef sends his apologies . The puddings had been sat in the middle of the room all night and looked totally unappetising again we commented on this to the staff and a fresh desert was brought from the kitchen. All in all the restaurant was disappointing. There seemed to be no one supervising and the waiters did not seem to know what they were doing a dedicated waiter would have been nice not just anyone who was passing. We opted to eat in the bar the following night the food was far better along with the service the bar staff were great so credit where credit due. Would use the hotel again but would opt for the bar rather than the restaurant.

Dear Kiplingbear,

Thank you for posting review.

I am sorry to read about your restaurant experience. Our staff are allocated tables to look after and there is always a member of the management team supervising service. I will be investigating these comments and discussing with the restaurant and bars manager.

I am glad you enjoyed your experience in the bar the following evening, may I apologise that this was not the same on your 1st night eating with us.

I hope to welcome you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2012

We booked a 'relaxing' spa day for our Mums bday for myself, sister and Mum was a complete nightmare trying to organise our treatments, we were told we could decide on the day subject to availability. So we decided it would be best to book before to avoid disappointment. We called a number of times a there was no answer I then emailed had had a reply a number of days later so I then re called and was told the computer had frozen and they would email me with the list of treatments we could have again this didn't happen and a very rude man called me to tell me what treatments were available, he couldn't understand why we wanted to book and confirm this before hand. We then arrived on the day to then be asked what treatments we would like even though this had been booked and confirmed for all 3 of us. We were then given our robes which were awful quality and told to go through to the changing rooms which were located in the pool area at this point we were quite shocked to see young children in the area and no loungers or chairs free, we to our selves in our robes and then found the relaxation room we were told they would collect us at 11. Our therapist came to collect us at 11.05am for our to 25 min treatments. I was booked in for a back neck and shoulder and a scalp massage in total I was in the 35 mins I was totally shocked when I left the treatment room to see it was only 11.45. The treatment was far from relaxing, there was doors banging, people chatting and a noise which sounded like a Hoover which the rude man at reception informed us it was the spray tan machine. We told the staff at the reception area who were rude, abrupt and didn't even apologise. We were suppose to be there all day relaxing and having afternoon tea at 3pm. We were offered to have an extra treatment at 3.30 which would of been half way through our afternoon tea. By this point our day was ruined. The reception area was grubby, the sinks in the toilets didn't work, paint work was all dirty and chipped, we were offered water in paper cones it was just a complete nightmare. We decided to leave and never return!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Megan P
Dear Megan P,

I am disappointed to read that you were not able to enjoy the relaxing spa day you had planned to celebrate your mum's birthday. I hope that you raised the problems you encountered with the duty manager and we were able to go some way to resolving them for you.

I have discussed the points you have raised directly with the leisure and spa manager. As I am unable to track reviewers from the site please contact myself directly at the hotel if there is anything you wish to discuss further.

Kind regards,
Witham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2012

We were warmly welcomed and the room seemed fine it was clean and comfortable(115). Our first visit to the pool was not good. We signed in and had to ask for towels then were left not knowing quite where to find the changing rooms and after reading that the ladies showers were running cold. When commenting we were told there were hot blasts of water and they would be fixed. The swim was good but the female showers definitely had no hot blasts!
At dinner we arrived for 7.30pm as booked earlier in the week to discover all tables taken except two in the centre of the room. Being shown to a table a chair was pulled out that was badly stained with candlewax, when I queried this I was told "it is only candle wax" and I was invited to sit down, not nice as I was in a smart outfit for my birthday dinner. The restaurant doors were open and as the kitchen door swung the draught was horrific it was like sitting in a wind tunnel but there were no other tables to move to so I fetched a sweater and a down gilet. We asked for our candle to be lit but this did not happen until after our drinks and when the first course had arrived, little attention to detail was the hallmark of the evening.
The food was good (except the torte) but the staff trying to be attentive asked if it was alright after we had eaten just one mouthful. Straight after dessert I left to go to bed to get warm a disappointing birthday treat.
Then the fun began as the lifts and stairs run alongside this bedroom. We worked out that the lifts are much noisier when there are more people in them.
On the friday morning the first person to run downstairs did so at 5.40am and the first lift started at 5.55am and then it was almost continuous.At the other end of the day it was well after midnight before there was any quiet.
At breakfast we reported these issues to the manager in the restaurant. He apologised and when showed the chair removed it from service. "Not to the standard we would expect" He said and also that he would see what he could do.
We heard nothing more and throughout the day were surpirised by the lack of any greeting from the reception staff, in fact it seemed that there were several meetings going on behind the desk and guests were the least concern!
We went out for a fantastic meal and theatre trip in Cambridge. We would like to use this hotel again because it is convenient for us but it seems a bit risky and very disappointing. We have stayed at Q hotels in Cheltenham and at Chatham and had great stays so were very disappointed and feel let down. We spoke of these issues on check out and were told we would be contacted, now we shall wait and see.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms close to the lifts/stairwell eg 115
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2012 via mobile

Hotel is ok with reasonable facilities but very much a conference hotel, quite noisy, an awful view over the expanse of air conditioning. I find it hard to rate it 4 stars. If you are on business it is fine but not for a nice stay away from home in my opinion

• Stayed October 2012
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 19 November 2012
Dear Max4s

I'm sorry you did not enjoy your time with us. We are indeed a modern hotel, which can cater for both business and leisure needs, I am sorry it was not to your taste, should you decide to return one day, please give us a ring and we will ensure that your room looks away from the building.
Kind regards
Mike Evans
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2012

We stayed here with my family for my Dad's 70th Birthday. On arrival, we all met up in the bar for coffee and birthday cake. The bar was quiet busy with what looked like a wedding party. We found a table which was laden with dirty plates and glasses and left over food. I looked around for someone to clear the table but there was no one that I could see so I moved all the things onto the side. We ordered coffee and had to wait for about 30 minutes as there were no clean cups, or clean plates for the cake. Fair enough they did look quite busy. The evening meal was booked for 7.30pm. There were 4 children under 6 in our party so we booked early. Our starters arrived at about 8.30pm and our main meals at 9.30pm which was a ridiculous amount of time to have to wait-especially with young children! We did ask several times if they could be a bit quicker with the food as the children were getting tired and restless. When the main meal arrived, some of the dinners were cold. The waitress had a cloth to hold the plates and passed one to my dad who burned his hand on the plate as it was so hot! Common sense tells me that she should have put it on the table , not given it to him!! The quality of food was extremely disappointing. After our main meal, the plates were not taken away for a very long time, in fact we had to ask for them to be cleared. This was after we had already asked them to be a bit quicker. The desserts on the buffet trolley looked very unappetising. There was hardly any choice and they looked like they had been thrown together then sat out in the warm restaurant all night. In the end I had to leave without pudding to take 2 of the children to bed as they were so tired and hadn't been able to eat their dinner because of this reason. My other daughters pudding arrived at 10.20pm! I feel very disappointed especially for my mum who had spent a lot of time and money organising this special occasion for my dad's 70th birthday. I must say that the staff were very friendly and pleasant but just not very efficient. My mum and I have stayed here a couple of months ago and the food was so much better then. When my mum went to check out , she actually heard several other people complain about the quality of food in the restaurant! 4*?????? I think not!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 13 November 2012
Dear cricola69

I'm very sorry to read your account of events in our restaurant. This is not the standard that we would expect, busy or not. I can see that you have dined with us before, so you are aware that this is not the norm. If you would like to contact me or my Operations Manager Luke Comerford at the hotel, we would be keen to discuss this further.
Once again my apologise.
Kind regards
Mike Evans
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambourne
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
#2 of 36 in Cambridge
Holiday Inn Cambridge
Holiday Inn Cambridge
#11 of 36 in Cambridge

Been to The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel? Share your experiences!