“bed bugs”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cambourne
Harlow, United Kingdom
“bed bugs”
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Thought room looked a little tired but was not in it for long as going to a wedding, did not return until 1 am and went straight to bed, in the morning i had red itchy marks on my lower back and legs which have been proved to have been caused by bed bugs.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank tom p
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Dear tom p

Thank you for your review. We have checked the room and those surrounding it, both visually and under ultra violet light and can find no evidence of mites. This is something that we do as part of a bedroom rolling plan. To be on the safe side the mattress will be replaced. If the wedding you were attending was in a marquee on grass, which I believe it might have been, given the temperatures this may also be a reason for the bites but i thank you for letting me know, better safe than sorry.
Mike Evans

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Korean first
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We have become regulars at this hotel due to the consistently high standards.
The staff are always very friendly and the rooms are immaculately clean.
I highly recommend it for anyone visiting Cambridge and the surrounding area.
My one criticism is that when the menu in the restaurant was changed on a daily basis it offered a better choice for guests who were staying for a few nights.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Patsy10red
Dear Patsy10red

Thank you for such a lovely review and taking on board your comments, we have now added a Market Menu, that changes weekly and daily specials to supplement the A La Carte Menu.
Thank you for giving me the feedback, and i hope to see you soon.
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We stayed here last weekend. The room we were allocated was massive! The breakfast was nice. The staff were lovely and chatty. We had a swim and a massage in the spa area, which was pleasant. All in all very good!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Helen C
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2013
Dear Helen C

Thank you for your review, great to be part of your Anniversary break, hopefully we see you again soon.
Reviewed 1 July 2013

The Belfry is a clean hotel with great facilities. I had dinner in the restaurant and the food was delicious and the cocktails are the best I have ever had. My visit was business but I would recommend for any trip and I heard that the spa weekends are well worth it.

Room Tip: I have stayed a few times and my first visit I was near the lift, as I am a light sleeper the sound...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Dear L4ur4852

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, one I shall be delighted to share with my team. I note from your comments, that you have stayed with us a few times on business, perhaps on your next visit, we could say hello.
Reviewed 1 July 2013 via mobile

I met an old friend here and just stayed for the one night. The hotel is lovely looking from the outside and the reception staff were very welcoming and helpful when we requested recommendations for restaurants as we didn't know the area. Room service was quick and very reasonably priced and the breakfast in the morning was varied and of good quality. Plus one of the morning breakfast waitresses was the sweetest lady ever, I forgot to take her name but she was so happy to help she was a real gold star. The only 'not so good' point was the location, Cambourne seems to be a fairly newly built town and therefore you don't really get the feel that you would expect from Cambridge - however I suppose if you wanted that you need to choose somewhere closer to the centre. Overall it's a great place to stop for a short stay and if needed I will happily stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear BeckySorrell

A very kind review, thank you. I'm glad everyone look after you and in particular, at breakfast. I will certainly share you comments with the team.
You are correct, Cambourne is a new village and not to everyone's taste but it has fabulous link in to the city centre, which in the long run, saves money on parking and the stress of actual get in to the city.
We look forward to looking after you again.
Epping, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2013

We had a really lovely stay here, albeit just for the one night. The staff who checked us in were friendly, professional and efficient which was great after a long hard day.
Our room was lovely. Very tastefully furnished, decent size, clean and really comfortable. There seem to be some other comments on here to the contrary, but all we can comment on is our own experience and we certainly had no complaints in that area whatsoever.
There was a singer providing entertainment in the bar which was highly enjoyable. And she's a real trooper, stoically keeping going even when there was no one around to listen! The meal was great, and the waiter was extremely friendly and attentive for which he should be commended (if only I could remember his name!).
The only negatives we encountered were a particularly noisy group of young women who were presumably on a hen night. This spoilt the ambience of the restaurant for us, which up until that point had been lovely. The other was checking out, which took far too long. We tried to check out at 11am, the official check out time, just as a whole group of people arrived from a wedding party to check in. They only had one person on reception at this time (later two) which resulted in me having to queue for 15 minutes just to settle to bill and hand back the key.
But these two issues aside, we'd certainly return if we were in the area again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Essex-couple-1
Dear Essex-couple-1

Thank you for your review and I'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I note your comment re checkout and will share this with my Reception Manager, to see if we can limit the inconvenience to guests when a group checkout happens.
We look forward to looking after you again, should you be in the area.
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Just spent 2 nights at the Belfry. Rooms really dirty, cobwebs in the bath room, dead moth on bedside cabinet, only 1 bath towel and 1 small towel for two people. Room service appalling, cold expensive and sauce was missing. At breakfast the staff were too busy messing around to care about the guests. You almost had to beg for a second pot of coffee!

Expensive and definitely not worth it, would never stay in a Q hotel ever again!

Room Tip: Stay clear of this dirty hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Vicky E
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
Dear Vicky E

I am very disappointed to read your review, as it clearly falls below are usual standard. We will be contacting you directly to discuss your experience. Until then, please except my apologies.
Mike Evans
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambourne
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
#9 of 36 in Cambridge
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,132 reviews
Hilton Cambridge City Centre
Hallmark Hotel Cambridge

Been to The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel? Share your experiences!