The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel
Golden Lion(St Ives)
US$113
  • Restaurant
US$197
No availability for your dates from our partners
1,902 results
All reviewsspa breakrelaxation roomlovely spaspa staffpenthouse suitepark and rideseparate showersteam roomhen weekendrestaurant staffsunday morningtwo night staytea and coffeebiscuitscambridge belfrybreakaway clubmorrisons
Reviewed 24 January 2014

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Reviewed 23 January 2014

This is the second time we have spent NYEve at the Belfry. The function was very enjoyable, the meal was good and served piping hot, no mean feat when serving a room full of diners. The group of young musicians were exceptional, although I found the DJ's choice of music very old hat.
Our room was not good though, the radiator was barely warm and we had to have two room heaters to get a decent temperature, and this is from someone who is always turning the heating down at home. In general, although not dirty, the room was tatty and the bed uncomfy. It was quiet though. The Buffet Breakfast was surprisingly good.
I was asked by the hotel to review our experience, and took considerable time and effort to do so, only to receive a reply disagreeing with any negative aspects of my review (of course the positive points I made met with approval). I found that a bit strange, and not a good indication of how they might deal with complaints.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Herewardtw,
Many thanks for your kind review. I am very pleased you enjoyed your new years eve break with us, and we have received a lot of good feedback from the night. However I am disappointed with regards to your comments concerning the room. I can assure you we do take feedback seriously and do thank you for letting us know. Your comments have been taken on board and used to ensure we improve this for future guests. I do hope this has not put you using The Cambridge Belfry and we look forward hopefully welcoming you back in the near future.
Kind regards, Mike Evans

Reviewed 21 January 2014

My second stay here and glad to see it was a pleasure to stay again, warm welcome at reception, room was clean and tidy, bed very comfy, the spa area was clean and relaxing. Breakfast in the morning was delicious and I can't fault it. Highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear Jo C. Many thanks for the lovely review and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us once again at the Cambridge Belfry. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Kind Regards, Mike Evans.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Leaving aside the breakfast service on the Sunday, which was painfully slow, the hotel was very good and of an identical standard to other Q hotels. The spa facilities were good and clean and the rooms comfortable, although a radiator next to the bed isn't great for trying to get to sleep.

I found the meal on the evening to be nice, although the starters were disappointing (pre-prepared and kept in a fridge ready to bring out), The mains were good. For a reasonable break when an offer is on I would recommend.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear Anonymoose11,
Thank you for your comments, I am sorry to hear about the breakfast service and quality of food on your visit. I have passed your comments on to the relevant departments and can assure you that this is not the usual standard at our Restaurant. Thank you for taking the time and bringing this to my attention. Look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Kind regards,
Mike Evans

Reviewed 20 January 2014

We have stayed in many Q Hotels for both business and pleasure - this weekend city break was our Christmas gift to each other and coincided with my birthday. We had booked a 'Superior' room at an offer price of about £178 for two nights B&B and dinner on the first night.

First impression: Upon arrival and whilst I was parking the car; my wife asked Hanna on reception if, because of my birthday, there would be any chance of an upgrade. We were delighted to be given a Penthouse Suite. After being in the room for about five minutes, there was a knock at the door and it was a waiter with two glasses of bubbly - 'Where's the birthday boy?' he asked! This was a really nice welcoming gesture.

Dining: We dined in the hotel both nights and had breakfast both mornings. The quality of the evening meals was nothing short of excellent. Breakfast was average but adequate and there would be no reason to criticise it.

Staff: Throughout the hotel, there is clear evidence of a strong team ethic and a can do attitude where nothing is too much trouble. It's also clear that the whole team put the customer at the heart of what they do. I'd like to give a few examples:
• At breakfast, I must have had a confused look on my face when I was stood in the buffet area. A young male staff member heavily laden with cleared plates asked; ‘Are you OK there sir?’ - I explained that I was looking for a toaster, which he duly pointed out.
• I asked a receptionist if she had a map of Cambridge. Rather than just hand it to me, she took the time to ask how we were going to get there – I said via the Park ‘n’ Ride and she then explained how easy it was to get to the Park ‘n’ Ride and also which would be the best stop for us to get off at in Cambridge. She also explained where the main areas of interest could be found on the map.
• We had a minor issue with our shared starter at dinner on our second night. We advised a waitress and stressed that whilst it wasn't a big issue we were simply giving feedback. Very professionally; she acknowledged the issue and said she would advise chef of our feedback. She returned later to advise that chef agreed with our views and that we wouldn't be charged for the starter.
• At dinner on both nights, two members of staff were helpful and knowledgeable when it came to choosing wine appropriate to the food we ordered.
Particular praise goes to Kelly-Ann and Jade in the restaurant who were attentive, courteous, pleasant and happy to engage in conversation for as long as we wanted. Also to two girls on reception both called Hanna, who were welcoming and very helpful.

In summary, this hotel is well situated for visits to Cambridge and the surrounding area. It has excellent staff who are welcoming and go the extra mile for their customers. The rooms are clean, comfortable and spacious. The food in the restaurant is excellent. I would therefore have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to friends or family.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kevin Y

Dear kcyland,
Many thanks for your great review and I really enjoyed reading it. It is fantastic to read such lovely comments not only about your stay, but more importantly about the team. They are the guys on the shop floor which make the difference. I will share this with them and thank you once again for the review. We look forward to welcoming you back shortly.
Kind regards,