“Great Stay”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cambourne
London, United Kingdom
“Great Stay”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Stayed at Belfy this weekend on a special spa overnight package, it was really good value, the check in staff were effecient and helpful, the room large enough for 3, the guy from housekeeping changed the 3rd bed on entering the room as we were 3 adults, really comfy. The evening meal was excellent, great waitress, good choice of food and the allowence in the offer was generous and more that adequate to cover our food. The breakfast was second to none, freshly cooked, great choice and replaced really quick with more. Probobly one of the best breakfast i have had in a hotel in a long time. We all enjoyed our spa treatments nice friendly therapist and the treatments were lovely and relaxing. Definately recommend to everyone.
One critisim, 3 small costa coffees £10.95 !!!! total rip off, if they have to pay to have costa there, replace with own machine and you would sell more !!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Dear Yas99,
Thank you for your review. I am very pleased you enjoyed your spa stay with us. I have passed on your kind words to the team, specially the Chef regarding the quality of our breakfast. Thank you for comment regarding the costa, I will monitor this. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Cambridge Belfry in the near future.
Kind Regards,
Mike Evans

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Korean first
Basingstoke, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Our last stay at the Belfry (in 2011) was somewhat disappointing, due to the lengthy waiting for food orders in the restaurant, which was a shame, as we had stayed here a few times previously and been very happy with everything. However, having just returned from a weekend stay, we are pleased to report that everything is back on form and we couldn't have had better service and the team were so friendly and helpful. Excellent stuff!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Liz M,
Thank you for your kind review, and pleased to have you back! I am very happy you enjoyed your return stay with us, and specially for the comments regarding dinner. We hope to welcome you back again in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I selected this hotel as it was convenient for me for a 2 night business stay. I have really mixed feelings and therefore this review will be reasonably long as I try to sum up exactly why it made me feel this way.

On arrival the Reception area was manned by only one member of staff which probably would not have been a problem however a large group arrived just before me and therefore I waited some 20 mins to get seen (having driven for some time after a morning of meetings I was keen to get to my room). That said the gentleman was both efficient and friendly and managed to reduce the huge queue very quickly.

As the hotel was so busy my office had to upgrade my room to a Superior Double. Unfortunately the description does not match the room that greeted me. The carpet was stained and the dressing gowns threadbare (literally!). The TV although flat screen was quite small for the size of the room which was spacious. The bathroom was fine but if I am really looking at detail there was no shower cap...unusual in modern hotels.

I ordered room service and had a chicken foccacia sandwich and a fruit salad. I was told this would be 45 mns (it was quicker). No cutlery was delivered for my fruit salad. So I would say it was passable.

The bed itself was comfortable.

I left my breakfast card out for the following morning as I needed to leave just after 7am for some meetings. I also asked for an alarm call at 6am. The alarm call was early at 5.45 am however breakfast did not arrive. Whe i checked the breakfast card had not been collected. As soon as I rang reception this was rectified within 15 mins or so. I had ordered grapefruit which was not available but this had been substituted with grapefruit juice.

On leaving the hotel that morning I stopped at reception to ask for an external telephone number for the spa as I wanted to book a massage. I had been emailed the day before by the hotel asking if I wanted to book any treatments and had responded yes but had not got a reply. The lady on reception gave me the extension number but I explained that I needed an external number as I was leaving the hotel for the day. I asked when the spa was open and she said it was then and suggested I book direct with the spa desk. I went to the spa but the desk was unmanned as they were carrying out work in the plant room. At this point I was starting to feel rather fed up with the whole experience to be honest!

However never one to give up I called the spa later that morning and got an appointment for the afternoon. Later that morning I had a response to my earlier email suggesting a tme for my treatment...it all seems either rushed or confused at this Hotel. That said the therapist was great and the massage was relaxing and certainly worth the money.

I had lunch with 3 colleagues in the bar of the Hotel and the staff were really friendly. The food (we all ordered sandwiches) was good and well presented. The bar was very busy throughout lunchtime and ealry afternoon as this is obviously a meeting venue but we still managed to hold a meeting in a quiet corner.

On returning to my room I found that the biscuits had not been replenished (this helps my diet) but I do like to treat myself when away from home! Still no shower cap.

I ordered room service again and had a cheeseburger. This was fine but the hotel had apparently run out of mayo?? They did apologise for this. To me, however these are the basics.

I again put out my breakfast card, however I forgot to place a time on it. I also set another alarm call with reception for 7 am. The call came at 6.45 am (I am not sure why the calls are apparently always 15 mins in advance). I found a note from Stuart the night porter had been placed under my door apologising for the previous day and also asking what time I would like my breakfast served. I really appreciated this personal touch and that is one of the reasons why I have such mixed feelings - the staff are great the basics of the hotel just don't quite hit the mark.

I had a breakfast omelette (I had asked for no mushrooms but it had been made with them).

On checking out I found that I had been charged different rates for each night plus addiitonal £10 charges. The receptionist who checked me out was not as friendly as the gentleman who had checked me in and to be honest at this point I was starting to lose patience. When I asked why there were different rates I was told the price changes daily?!! I questioned this as a rate is a rate once booked! After discussion all the additional charges were removed.

I will probably stay again for pure convenienve factor and hope to be able to post a more positive review in the future.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear HollyBramble1,
Many thanks for your review and your kind words. Firstly apologies for the delay at check in, we had an issue with one of our computers, which I am pleased to say has been fixed. I have been able to trace your booking and will get the carpet cleaned immediately. We dont unfortunately supply shower caps as standard, however we do have some behind reception, and I have put a trace on your profile to ensure we put this in your room from now on. With regards to your food experience I have discussed this with the team, and the Head chef, and he echo's my apology. The rate does very from day to day, but agree that this should be agreed at booking, and I am looking further into this. I am very pleased to note you will be returning to us, and as I was the friendly gentleman who checked you in, please do contact myself direct so that I may personally make your reservation. My email is cmarais@qhotels.co.uk, or alternatively you can contact the hotel direct.
Kind regards
Chris Marais
Swanley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2014

We booked this hotel last minute for a Friday night as a stopover after we decided that we didn't fancy a straight drive from Kent to West Yorkshire. It's like most business hotels of this price to be honest which is that it's comfortable enough, fairly quiet, and by no means situated in picturesque countryside. However, we did have a nice stay and the food was good especially the breakfast which was very good indeed and prompted me to give 4 stars instead of 3. The service is efficient and polite and our room was clean and we had a good night sleep.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Andrew E,
Thank you for your kind review. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. There is nothing better then a good breakfast, best way to start the day, pleased that this was to your liking. We look forward to welcoming you back shortly.
Braintree Essex UK
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Good rooms, no complaints.
Good swimming pool, no complaints.
Was on a week long residential course. Lunchtime food, which was buffet style, was lousy. They ran out, and the quality was poor. Evening food not great either, ate once then decided the local pub and indian were better choices. In the restaurant I had red snapper, with rice. The fish was way over cooked, and the rice - well let's just say I think Uncle Ben cooked it. The same rice showed up a few times through out the week. Chili one lunchtime was served with an inedible cardboard tasting taco. Credit where due, the scrambled eggs were good at breakfast. Poached eggs took two goes to get ones with soft yolks.
Bar busy, with only one staff member on. He was trying to do drinks, food orders, and rooms service calls.
Let down by poor food, and bad service.
Staff were generally helpful and cheerful,there just weren't enough of them.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Katanaismybike,
Thank you for your comments and feedback, I am delighted to hear you were very happy with our facilities. I am sorry to learn you were disappointed with your meal and I have spoken to my chef about your comments. We strive and pride ourselves on the quality of our food and service and it is only through constructive comment such as yours we can continue to improve in these areas.
Once again thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.
Kind Regards
Haverhill, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

Won a spa day at the Cambridge Belfry hotel and spa, Camborne for two, and decided to treat my best friend who isn't on the top of the world at the moment, thinking a day of pampering was just what was needed. How wrong could I have been! The staff couldn't have been less helpful if they tried! A long spa day turned into a 45 minute very disappointing visit, without even a cup of coffee!!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Bev W
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear Bev W,
Thank you for your review. I was very disappointed to note your feedback following your spa day with us. I would kindly ask if you could please contact myself direct at the hotel so I may discuss your day with you personally. my email address is: cmarais@qhotels.co.uk, or the hotel number is 01954 714600.
I look forward to hearing from you and putting this right.
Chris Marais, Operations Manager
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2014

This is a fine example of what an hotel that belongs to a chain really should be. Nice clean accommodation, comfortable beds, very friendly well trained staff throughout and good food. The fact that it is also an environmentally aware hotel is a bonus. More chains should look to the Q Group for inspiration.

There is nothing worse than being met with a bored receptionist, prevalent in most chains, not here though. The staff practically 'skip' out to greet you upon arrival. Even the housekeeping staff always have a cheerful greeting. It really does make a huge difference and it is so good to see staff that are happy whilst at work.

We have stayed here quite a lot over the last couple of years and I must say that all the beds that we have slept on have been of a good standard and very comfortable. The hotel is surprisingly quiet at night. I would though request a room away from the lifts if you cannot tolerate noise.

Costa Coffee is now available together with some really tasty light bites in the bar.

The dining room has undergone improvements which have enhanced the ambience, but do
ensure that the tables don't move too close together, there are always a lot of couples here!

I would have given five stars for this visit had we been served 'real' chips with our meal in the restaurant.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear Patsy10red,
Many thanks for your lovely review. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. You are absolutely correct about a bored receptionist, and vital for a first impression, so I am delighted to see they came 'skipping' out to meet you. I have passed on your kind words to the team. We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Kind Regards,
Mike Evans
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambourne
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
#9 of 36 in Cambridge
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,133 reviews
Hilton Cambridge City Centre
Hallmark Hotel Cambridge

Been to The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel? Share your experiences!