“great staff”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cambourne
London, United Kingdom
“great staff”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

i spent 3 nights at the Belfry in January. Great hotel with friendly and helpful staff - they really went the extra mile for us. Shame though that it is a £30 taxi ride into Cambridge city centre.
Wish i had used the Spa while i was there.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank cgab2013
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear cgab2013,
Many thanks for your review. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. The taxi's around here are unfortunately a little pricy in the area. I hope this does not put you off returning to us in the near future, and you must use the spa facilities when you do come back!
Mike Evans

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Stayed here for a spa weekend. Staff were friendly and helpful and the food was excellent. Very relaxing atmosphere. Our bedroom was next to a room storing tables and chairs for conference rooms so was noisy until about 8pm while staff tidied up. Fine after that.

Dear Christine B,
Thank you for the great review! I am very pleased you enjoyed your spa break with us. Apologies for the team disturbing you during your stay, I will mention this to them. Look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
hampshire, UK
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We've used the Q hotel all inclusive deal a few times now but this was our first visit to the Cambridge Belfry. We had high hopes based on other hotels in the chain. Check in was ok, until we were informed the earliest they could fit us in the restaurant was 8.45, this was at 6pm. No chance apparently of an earlier sitting and the only offered alternative was room service. We ended up eating in the bar, watching a restaurant that was a third full at best.

Our room was on the second floor and was very disappointing. No air-con and a radiator that barely worked, evidenced by 3 plug in heaters! The bathroom was in a bit if a state with various shower panels missing and it looked like someone had had a field day with silicone sealant. The linen was clean but the cobwebs around the coving added a rustic feel.

Breakfast offered a good selection but I'd like to know how they make their 'freshly brewed coffee', it's disgusting.

On our second night the only sitting available at a reasonable time was 6.15 which suited us. It was a bit odd being the only people in the restaurant for a good 30 minutes or so, I struggle to see how the dining bookings are organised and why we couldn't have been sat earlier on the previous evening. We were sat at the same table at which we'd had breakfast and it was nice to see all the crumbs still on the floor.

The food was ok and the service we couldn't fault but their dining reservation system makes no sense at all, it's almost like they want a restaurant 2/3rds empty all the time, even to the detriment of the paying guests.

This has put us off Q hotels to be honest and we certainly won't be using the Cambridge Belfry again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear Rednotdead,
Thank you for your review. I was very disappointed to note your feedback following your recent stay. This is certainly not the standard we strive to deliver and I would very much appreciate it if you could contact myself direct at the hotel so that I may discuss your stay further with you. My email address is cmarais@qhotels.co.uk. We have been working hard at improving our dinner bookings to ensure all of guest get the full dinning experience. Your feedback is important to us and i would like to know more. I trust i will hear from you soon. I am pleased you enjoyed the service and food during your stay.
Chris Marais
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Had a 24 hour spa break. It was great value. Staff were all very friendly and helpful. Lovely facilities, spa itself lovely and food excellent!! The room was clean, spacious and well presented. Food was excellent too. All in all a great place to stay and the spa was not too busy either with plenty of room in sauna and steam room.

Dear Mabeline 12,
Many thanks for the review. I am very pleased you enjoyed your spa break with us! I have shared your kind words with the team. I very much look forward to welcoming you back and trust you will stay longer with us!
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I first visited the hotel as part of my sisters hen weekend in April 2013. Around 12 of us paid £45 each for a spa treatment, 3 course buffet lunch and full access to spa facilities including robes and slippers. There were children in the pool but this did not bother us too much. Lunch was very good value and quality, the buffet being a good way to cater for all tastes.

All of us felt very pleased with our treatments, until we discussed them amongst ourselves and discovered that although having the same treatment, we actually received different options (some were offered a choice of oils, some not offered choice, some used brushes some didn't, full body massage varied between guests and so did actually treatment time). The other downside was the tiny cones of water they give you after treatment. Anyone who has studied beauty therapy or massage (as some of our party had) will know that rehydration is extremely important. Overall, a fantastic relaxing start to the hen party as we moved onto the city center for the rest of weekend.

Following this I emailed the hotel management regarding these points and was given an offer to return to the hotel including a treatment. Unfortunately I found that the issues had not been addressed at all. The water was still in a tiny cone, with no jug available to refill in the room. Choice of oils was not offered. However we did stay in the hotel and were upgraded to a penthouse. This was a lovely room with separate lounge and very large bathroom with jacuzzi bath. Although it was a very pleasant room it was more suited to business travellers rather than a romantic break.

The food was overall a good standard, dinner was lovely, and cocktails in the bar were enjoyable but they were missing a few key ingredients so bartenders were making them up as they went along!
During breakfast I realised I had a partially frozen hash brown. This was returned to the chef and I received an apology.

Overall I would recommend a stay here, and hope to return myself in future. It just seems a shame when management say they will act on reviews and then don't.

Room Tip: Penthouse suitable for business travellers who require desk and working space.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Lozzdoll,
Thank you for kind review following your recent spa break with us. I am very pleased you did enjoy your stay! I can assure you we do take the feedback seriously and do try to meet all our guests needs as we continue to strive to improve our service and offering. Great to hear you will be coming back and look forward to welcoming you back!
Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

Went to the belfrey on a groupon offer, was very pleased the swimming pool and steam , sauna was very good had a lovely coffee and danish also a light snack before we left the staff couldnt have been friendlier excellent service from all staff. The only thing that could have been better was the changing rooms which needed a bit of a makeover but a very good afternoon for my sister in laws birthday

• Stayed February 2014
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Dear dcdebbiecole,
Many thanks for your kind review following your recent spa day with us. The groupon offer is a fantastic offer, and very popular. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Cambridge Belfry soon,
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Had an absolutely wonderful spa break at the Cambridge Belfry last weekend (8 and 9 February) and am looking forward to going back.

The hotel was easy to get to with lots of parking spaces, we parked close to the entrance. Check in was swift and efficient, we were asked the reason for our visit which was for my birthday and after we had got to our room 2 glasses of sparkling wine were brought to us. A nice surprise and such a nice thing to do.

Our room was a standard room on the ground floor, lots of space and no noise disruption. There was adequate wardrobe space, a table / stand to put our suitcase on, large desk with chair and 2 comfy chairs and table. There was a nice area next to the wardrobe with a kettle, selection of teas, coffees and complimentary biscuits. All very nice and the hotel was happy to provide us with more teabags and milk when we asked for them.

The bathroom had a bath and shower which was a nice touch as well as complimentary body wash, shampoo and conditioner. The shower had different shower head settings and there was plenty of hot water. The seals on the shower doors had gaps at the top and bottom though which let water spray out onto the floor. And despite there being warnings about the heated towel rail it did not work! We did not report this to reception though.

The dined in the restaurant for 2 breakfasts, 2 dinners and a lunch and the food was delicious. There was a wide selection of food on the breakfast buffet, I enjoyed the cooked breakfast one day, which included scrambled and fried egg and a good quality sausage. There was also a good selection of fruit which was very nice, cereal and muffins. Even meals were very nice, we did not have to wait very long for food, it was presented well and was lovely. Lunch was also enjoyable although I was so full from breakfast I stuck to soup and some gateaux for dessert.

The swimming pool area was very busy on Saturday and initially I didn't think the pool was very big. But once we were in the pool we found that the pool was busy but then quiet as people came and went into the jacuzzi, etc, so we were able to do some swimming. The jacuzzi was also nice and the area felt clean. I didn't use the sauna and was briefly in the steam room.

The swimming area was quieter on Sunday and we managed to do more swimming. Had hoped to do more but the pool was closed at 5:15pm due to a problem. This was a shame and we were disappointed about this but it didn't spoil our day as we had managed to do some swimming.

We were lucky to have 2 treatments each - a 30 minute facial and 1 hour body massage. Both were very enjoyable and professionally carried out. The beautician was friendly and discussed the treatment before starting to ensure everything would be alright and what I wanted,etc. The treatment room was nice and clean, the bed comfortable and heated. Both treatments were very relaxing and passed so quickly - wish they would have lasted longer!

I found all staff I encountered to be helpful and friendly (Reception, Spa Reception, Beauticians and Restaurant staff). The hotel is clean and we liked the laid back environment. I would recommend this hotel for a stay / spa break and I definitely want to go back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Abbeylls
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear AbbeyW,
Many thanks for your kind review. I am very pleased you enjoyed your spa break with us. I have shared your review with the team. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Cambridge Belfry in the near future.
Mike Evans
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambourne
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
Hallmark Hotel Cambridge
Holiday Inn Cambridge
Holiday Inn Cambridge
#12 of 36 in Cambridge

Been to The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel? Share your experiences!