“Angry wasn't the word!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cambourne
Wakefield
“Angry wasn't the word!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

Myself and my wife stayed at the Cambridge Belfry in January. We stayed in the Butler Penthouse suite for Two nights. It was fantastic, we had dinner in the room, champagne and exceptional service with the porter looking after things for us, bringing my wife extra milk for the baby ect. Nothing was too much trouble and I was really impressed. Breakfast wasn't great but thats corporate hotels I suppose. Obviously there are much better restaurants in central Cambridge, but it depends what you want.

My company currently use De Vere for our business travel accommodation and I was looking to transfer to Q Hotels as an option so I booked in to check things out. It was really good. I liked it so looked into things, got set up with the ThankQ scene and even spoke to our events team re: conferencing.

Now the worst thing I have had from a hotel company like this EVER!

I had an emergency meeting in London last week, My wife decided to tag along with my young daughter and do some shopping whilst I was working. We left London at 4pm and got stuck in major traffic on the M25, by the time we hit Cambridge on the way back to Leeds, I was too tiered to continue driving. My wife looked on Laterooms and saw the hotel had rooms, so she went to the Q Hotels website directly, availability was still shown. The 3G signal was poor but we were only 3 miles from the hotel so I decided to drive up and book in on arrival. The rude individual on reception said "no we are full tonight" so I went online and saw the availability was still live. I showed him, he then looked in the system and said "Yes we do have a room, but it is unserviced, with no heating or bathroom and disabled facilities, you can have the room for £117" by this point it is 22:00. I said to him "You didn't have this attitude when we spent over £500 on a two day stay in the butler suite, a couple of weeks ago" He looked at me, looked back in his computer and ignored me.

Just shocking, obviously a crucial fail in customer service. It leaves you wondering why you have just spent so much money with a hotel, to be treated like dirt once the credit details are removed from their system!

I fear I will never trust any Q Hotel again!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank wbebb1975
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear Wbebb 1975,
Thank you very much for your review. I am very concerned over the treatment you received when you arrived with us recently. I would really appreciate it if you could contact me direct at the hotel so that I may address this immediately. This is not what we strive to deliver, and as you mentioned from you previous enjoyable visit, not what the staff service deliver is either. You can either contact the hotel direct or email myself at cmarais@qhotels.co.uk. I look forward to hearing from you and getting you back to The Cambridge Belfry.
Chris Marais

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Korean first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

I am a business traveller and have a budget I have to stick to so normally this hotel is out of my price range. Then one day I spotted it in my range and booked it...excitedly. It looks pretty swanky and high class so I arrived expecting it to be a bit special. In fairness the receptionist was very pleasant but the experience left me a bit flat. Nothing stands out as worth the cost it would normally cost to stay here and as it's a bit out of the way was a disappointment. I've stayed at hotels with a similar level of service and room quality and paid less.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear Daniel_Curtis,
Many thanks for your review. I was disappointed to read that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. We always strive to deliver the highest level of service and quality. I do hope you will give us another try in the near future.
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

I stay here regularly on business trips to Cambridge. The hotel is okay with good facilities (swimming pool, gym). Decent breakfast too. Not much to do in Cambourne though - this hotel clearly caters for conference guests.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Idomeitable,
Thank you for your review. I am very pleased you enjoy staying at the hotel and make use of our facilities. Look forward to having you stay with us again.
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

Stayed for two nights with my husband. As always with Qhotels, staff were all friendly and helpful. The pool is a decent size with lots of chairs for lounging. We didn't eat dinner in the hotel but breakfast was fine (although there was quite a wait for eggs on the second day) - the hotel even has REAL toasters instead of those conveyor-belt things that never toast properly! Definitely a plus! The bedroom was clean and comfortable and the only real problem we had was a very annoying night-light thing that couldn't be turned off and was so bright it kept us awake. We ended up taking the key card out so we couldn't have any lights all night - navigating an unfamiliar bathroom in the dark at 3am was not much fun!! The hotel is further from Cambridge than I was expecting and in a very nondescript area. Unfortunately the hotel itself is as bland as Cambourne - a shame, because the other Qhtotels we've stayed in have each had their own character. Having said that, for a short break, bland is probably not too big a problem and we felt we got good value for money on our stay.

Dear LondonKinsey,
Thank you for your review and I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Cambourne is a new community, but does have excellent links to Cambridge and has some exciting developments planned for the future. We have just recently changed our toasters and very pleased to hear you approve of them! I will pass on your kind words to the team. Hopefully we will see you again soon at the Cambridge Belfry.
kind regards,
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

Just spent the weekend at the Belfry with my wife. Staff very efficient and friendly throughout the hotel. We used the swimming pool and steam room and found these well maintained. Good choice of food at breakfast but the hot food was lukewarm in the main. Need a better system for keeping the food hot. Had dinner in the restaurant on both nights. The brisket beef and sticky toffee pudding were so good I had to have them both nights! The prawn cocktail (first night) was the only let down - not much of it for the money. We both had an allowance of £26 for food each night and went slightly over. Wine is expensive but I suppose is par for the course. No house wine on offer from what I could see. Bedroom was comfortably and the powerful shower was a bonus. Used the park and ride to get in to Cambridge. Free parking and free for me on the bus with my bus pass!

Dear Nigel T,
Many thanks for your review. I am very pleased you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Thank you for the note on breakfast, I will sort this with my Chef. Sticky toffee pudding is my favourite dessert, and it is very popular! We look forward to welcoming you back to the Cambridge Belfry in the near future.
kind regards,
Shillington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

We had booked the hotel's Spa Break quite a few weeks in advance. My friend and I were to share one room and my 2 daughters were booked in another room. My friend's Mum (who we all knew really well) tragically died on 17th February and we'd booked our stay for 20th February. We decided to go and take it step by step. I phoned ahead to ask if we could have a quiet table for our evening meal. When we checked in, Andy Meadway was waiting for us and was so considerate and diplomatic. We were upgraded to 2 suites next to each other. These were in a quiet area of the hotel. An extra bed (really comfortable) was set up immediately. There was a complimentary bottle of red wine in each room, which was kindly exchanged for rose (and swapped again for a chilled one in the restaurant!). We found all the staff to be friendly and helpful. The staff at the spa were professional and ensured we all enjoyed our chosen treatments. The food was delicious and the service was excellent. The hotel appeared to be efficiently run and the facilities provided were clean.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear MKHM123,
Many thanks for your great review! I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and that Andy in particular made it so special for you. I have passed on your kind words to the whole team, and it really is good to hear when the team make your stay so special! Trust you enjoyed the wine! We hope to welcome you back to the Cambridge Belfry in the near future.
Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

2nd time here for my partner and myself. Loved the fist trip, this trip was even more enjoyable. After a smooth check in the stay just got better and better. The room was amazing, the spa treatments were lovely, and the food was first class.
Will definitely be back here in the near future

Dear Mark_3712014,
Many thanks for your review. Good to have you back, and very pleased you enjoyed it again! Look forward to welcoming you back in the near future to the Cambridge Belfry.
Mike Evans
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambourne
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
#8 of 36 in Cambridge
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,100 reviews
Hilton Cambridge City Centre
Hallmark Hotel Cambridge

Been to The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel? Share your experiences!