“Mum and daughter weekend”

The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cambourne
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Mum and daughter weekend”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I wanted to treat my daughter to a weekend away at a nice hotel with a spa, gym and swimming pool. She has been studying hard and it was for a well deserved break.
It was disappointing as the two treatments we had were both originally on the dame day, we managed to get them changed to two early treatments because of three he. Parties being held at the dame time. The treatments were nice but not amazing although the girls were extremely pleasant. The pool area was horrible, the steam room and sauna could hardly be used because of said hen parties! The gym which we were looking forward to as gym users already was dirty, the equipment was difficult to understand. Most other people in there were struggling to understand how to make things work. The floor area was too small and there were things missing as in free weights etc. the gym balls needed air in them. Very very disappointing. The room was too small for two people and there was no clock. I had emailed in advance to ask about a fridge in the room for medication I needed to refrigerate and didn't ever get a response to my request. The only things that made it okay was the reception staff, they were brilliant, the guy at the bar who's name I believe was Liam, very professional and the restaurant manager, amazing. Would I recommend it, sadly not. It was too little for a lot of money. I'm going to egypt for two weeks in June for only £100 more. Can't justify the price, really sorry

Room Tip: Don't know the place well enough to comment
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, Operations Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Dear Jayne-LM

Thank you for your feedback. I would be most grateful if you would contact me to disccus the comments you have raised. My email address is cvines@qhotels.co.uk.

Kind regards

Craig Vines
Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Korean first
Croydon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014

This hotel has a good side but a dark side. The good side is if you are staying as a couple for one night it is fine. Then when staying for a masonic weekend a different story. When entering the dining hall on Friday night we found all the tables were laid up for 9 people and as we are 95% couples it seemed strange. The buffet was there between 7pm and 9pm but late arrivals had no food and also no where to sit as there were not enough tables laid. The no food also applied to the sweet coarse for earlier arrivals as well. There were no cheese biscuits brought out with the cheese and had to be asked for. The most frightening thing to see were bammberries being carried out by management and junior staff with meth lights not extinguished and full of boiling water which could have been a disaster. We took photo"s in disgust. to be placed in corridors and left. To continue when breakfast was served on Saturday morning the queue was very long because people were trying to obtain cerials in the middle of a queue trying to get hot food it did not work. I ordered salmon and when received it was a laugh and other friends agreed that five pieces of salmon the size of a 5p piece did no warrant extra charge.
Now we come to the dance floors for Friday and Saturday night. They were dangerous held together with gaffa tape as well as having the top surface missing in places. My wife would not dance as she considered it faulty and not up to the quality required. The person you let down invited 18 guests and felt ashamed !!!!. When trying to order a drink at the bar holding a £20.00 note I was told I am doing room service and also a telephone call was answered as well SERVICE !!!!!! I do not think so.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank jlwt1908
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, Operations Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear jlwt1908,
Thank you for your review. I was disappointed to read your feedback following your recent stay. I would very much appreciate it if you could contact me directly at the hotel so that I may discuss these comments further with you. My email address is cvines@qhotels.co.uk.

Kind regards

Craig Vines
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I and another couple have just returned from a night at the hotel. Upon arrival we checked in with no problems and told where our rooms were.
My husband had surprised me by booking a junior suite. The room was clean and tidy and had a separate living area with sofa, dining table and tv. The bedroom had a king size bed wardrobe, tv And tea and coffee making facilities. The bathroom had a separate shower, two sinks and a jacuzzi bath. Also supplied were toiletries, a hairdryer, iron and ironing board and two bathrobes.
We pre booked dinner which was delicious and we were also surprised with a complimentary glass of champagne and cake to congratulate my husband and I on our anniversary.
We had breakfast in bed and checked out with no problems.
We didn't use the spa or swimming pool so am unable to comment on those.
The only reasons it is not a 5* are:

My robe had ripped loops and needed replacing and the breakfast was luke warm and didnt come with beans or toast. Our friends also had to ask for wAter in their room and bath robes as they were missing.

However I would return to this hotel again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cassmk2
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear Cassmk2,
Thank you for your kind review and many congratulations on your anniversary! I am very pleased my team went the extra mile to make this a such a special occasion for you. Thank you for letting me know about the robes, I will address this immediately.
Hopefully we will welcome you back for your next special stay shortly.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014

The accommodation was adequate with no frills and spills. The room was unspectacular, and the breakfast was average. But the staff were polite and courteous, and the room served it's purpose, and as far as I could tell all the guests enjoyed themselves.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Longhead23,
Many thanks for your review. Thank you for your kind words regarding the team and pleased the accommodation met your needs. Hopefully we will welcome you back in the near future.
Harlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We have stayed here several times and once again this Friday 14th March for one night, the service at reception was so professional.

The room was perfect and prepared to the usual high standard.

We used the pool and if I was to have a complaint it would be that parents take very small children into the jacuzzi, despite the sign saying otherwise.

The dinner menu was excellent and the food was presented and served by staff who were attentive and ready to help with anything we required.

The buffet breakfast was cooked to perfection and more than enough to keep the hungriest person satisfied till lunchtime.

We will certainly be staying here again very soon.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Ken M,
Thank you for your lovely review following your stay with us. I am pleased you once again enjoyed your stay with us. I enjoyed sharing your review with my team and we look forward to welcoming you back shortly.
Kind Regards,
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We decided upon the Cambridge Belfry as we wanted to visit Cambridge itself, and as we are q members we took advantage of one of their deals. We paid to upgrade to a suite but were disappointed as the room was very tired I did email them straight away but still waiting for a response the lounge was very noisy due to being next to the lift. On the plus side all of the staff that we dealt with were extremely helpful and nothing appeared to be too much trouble and of course the q member deals are good.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear Jane S,
Many thanks for your review. I am very pleased you found the team welcoming and very helpful. I did notice you indicated that you have sent us some feedback, I have not had this yet. Would you be so kind as to send this to me direct, so I can address it personally. My email address is cmarais@qhotels.co.uk.
Chris Marais
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night on 7th march, dinner bed breakfast deal for a trip to cambridge.
Check in was great, receptionist very attentive and explained everything.
We had a superior double, good and spacious, lovely bathroom with bath and shower. Free wifi which was great.
We ate in the restaurant- two courses each which we could not fault.. Highly recommend the crayfish bruschetta and sea bass for main. I asked to swap something on my meal and the gentleman ( who I assumed to be a manger) was very attentive and dealt with the request.
We used the spa facilities which were lovely and relaxing after a busy day.
First time I gave stayed here and would definitely stay again.
People who moan about the housing and supermarket near by,clearly the hotel was here first and it has no affect on the stay whatsoever.

• Stayed March 2014
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear Loves_Holidays85,
Many thanks for your kind review. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, as well as the location. I have shared your review with my team and we all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Kind Regards,
Mike Evans
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambourne
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
#9 of 36 in Cambridge
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,132 reviews
Hilton Cambridge City Centre
Hallmark Hotel Cambridge

Been to The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel? Share your experiences!