“Needs to improve”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cambourne
Huddersfield
“Needs to improve”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We have regularly stayed with Q hotels for the last 15 years indeed we stayed at this hotel when it first opened. This time we had booked a superior room for 2 nts with dinner on the 2nd night. The good points-Steph who greeted us on arrival at reception was great, helpful friendly and informative. We then went to our room, not in my view superior, there was dust on the shelves above the tea making facilities, cobwebs in the corner, the bathrobes had seen much better days in fact I have thrown better in the bin! The bathroom had stains on the floor and splash marks all down the side of the bath panel. Breakfast was ok on the first morning, the 2nd was a strange affair-we were told it was served until 9.30 at 8.40 just as we had ordered our poached eggs the hot buffet was removed and we were told we could order it from the waitress. My husband ordered sausage beans and ,mushrooms, having waited 15 mins for our eggs we were then asked if we wanted the eggs to accompany the other hot items we said no as they would be overdone having been ordered so long ago. Two minutes later the waitress brought the other items out, the look on her face said it all I have never seen such a measly portion possibly 1 mushroom a sausage which looked more like a chipolata and a very small spoonful of congealed beans the waitress was extremely apologetic but the plate went back, this is not the sort of standard we expect from a 4* hotel. We shall not be returning!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, Operations Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear Ian T

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me on the phone earlier to discuss your review. Once again I would like to apologise that the service fell short on your recent stay and I hope that your next visit to the Cambridge Belfry will be more pleasant.

Craig Vines

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Korean first
Mansfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I was disappointed with our recent stay at q hotel. The hotel is on side of road near a supermarket.
When we arrived we thought we would go for lunch. Nearly all the tables were full of used plates and in a very scruffy state, we had to ask 3 times to get cleared. This hotel is supposed to be 4 star but I would not rate above 3 . It looks very tired and in need of a refurb.
I think if you are looking for a 4 star I would look elsewhere . But if you can get a cheap deal its better than a b&b but not much.

• Stayed April 2014
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear markgillott206

I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your recent stay at The Cambridge Belfry. It does sound like we had been busy and I would like to apologise that you found the bar in a messy state when visiting for lunch. I will share your comments with the team and I do hope that we will be better prepared for your next visit.

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Stayed at The Belfry only because we had previously stayed in the Q Hotel in Stratford and found it to be one of the best hotels we have stayed in. Took my partner to Cambridge for two nights for his birthday. We were impressed with all the staff, from check-in onwards! I had booked a superior room for bed and breakfast and dinner on the first night.
There was a birthday card and a box of complimentary chocolates in our room on arrival, a very thoughtful touch. When we went to dinner we were also given a complimentary glass of bubbly each. The food was very good, plenty of choice and beautifully cooked and the service attentive and polite. Breakfast was also delicious and a reasonable choice of foods. Unfortunately on the second night there was a wedding party going on and when we went to bed, people shouting and screaming in the courtyard outside until midnight. I did call down to Reception and the staff said they would get everyone inside and shut the doors, which to their credit, they did, so things quietened down. Service at breakfast the next day wasn't nearly as good but it was very busy so I can't complain.
Although I would recommend this hotel, a couple of niggles make my review less than glowing. The hotel is obviously quite newly built, on a new housing estate and in itself has no character but the rooms are very bland and to be honest you could be in a travelodge anywhere. I think they could have made the interiors a bit more memorable. Having booked a superior room, I was surprised it had no view other than across the roof of the restaurant dotted with air conditioning units (see my photo). Also one of the mugs had a large chip on it, despite 'borrowing' a different mug from a table outside the conference room and clearly using it, the damaged mug was washed and put back on the tray while the undamaged one I had liberated was removed. A fridge in the room would have been nice. Having read the rules for the leisure centre saying no children after 6pm I was hoping for a relaxing swim and spa but was disappointed to find several children still splashing in the jacuzzi and running around whose parents seemed to be ignoring them and letting them annoy everyone else. There was also a rather loud swimming instructor taking up part of the pool with swimming lessons for small children which disturbed any peace possible.If you're going to make rules, enforce them!
I wouldn't not stay here again but apart from the staff, who were excellent, it seriously lags behind it's sister hotel in Stratford.

Room Tip: One away from the revellers in the bar who go into the courtyard to smoke
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear kerrymcg

Thank you for taking the time to review The Cambridge Belfry after your recent stay. I am pleased the team looked after you and I hope your partner enjoyed his birthday with us. I have taken your comments on board and will share them with the departments, I will also pass on your very kind comments about the team.

I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

My review is going to be fair.

Check in was efficient and our room was not too far to walk. The room was a bit tired but clean enough, beds really comfortable, good shower.

We went to the bar for drinks and the staff were fab. Prompt, friendly and efficient. The bar and lounges were busy (there was a wedding) and noise from the wedding was loud in the bar. The decor looks tired and really needs to be maintained. Windows not cleaned, doors tatty, facilities in toilets poor. Inefficient driers resulting in needing to use toilet paper. 4 star hotel? Seriously?

The meal we had in the evening was very poor. I had a salad which was saturated with dressing. The waiter did say he would bring another without dressing but I wasn't that hungry so declined as I had a burger coming. The burger was awful, clearly frozen not made on site, more salad dripping in dressing. We spent the rest of the evening in the bar. It was really busy (as was the restaurant) which gave a good atmosphere but the noise from the wedding did impose.

Breakfast was ok, seated quickly and tea bought to the table as soon as we sat practically. Usual selection of hot breakfast which I enjoyed. Best meal I had the whole weekend.

We went to the spa for our treatments after breakfast having checked out. Check out was efficient with no problem.

The spa is really small but staff were lovely. My friends robe was frayed and shabby which they changed immediately. My treatment was done by a lovely lady who gave me the best massage I have had in a while. The facial was also really good. On the down side, I asked for a brow wax and shape but there was little or no wax (?). I asked for music but the CD player was broken. This spoiled the relaxing mood and was the deal breaker for me. I had a great massage to the sound of the traffic and a siren (briefly) outside and my lady walking around the room.

Lunch was ok, just ok. Salad selection was poor and minimal. Couldn't be further from a 4 star but staff consistent, prompt and friendly.

The Spa. The pool area was shabby with some nice beds and some shabby reclining garden type furniture. Although appearance was dismal, they were surprisingly comfortable and I spent a while reading. I didn't go into the jacuzzi having seen the huge mass of foam in it. Customers should be advised to shower any product off before entering. The pool was noisy with children playing and decor really tired. Didn't look particularly clean. The changing rooms were shabby and untidy. Nowhere for people to put used towels or robes, broken lockers, general disrepair and real lack of maintenance. The toilet cubicle had a sink that didn't work. No drier or towels just a toilet roll on the unusable sink. The sink outside the toilet cubicle had a drier that didn't work and the soap dispenser had been moved and the original holes visible and shabbily filled but not finished off. Finally I didn't want to use the showers, lack of cleanliness, so dressed and left.

My intro said I would be fair. I STONGLY oppose the 4 stars and would expect that on review this should be downgraded so as not to mislead people. Overall the place is tired and badly in need of maintenance. Only the lovely staff keep the place going. However, I paid very little on the deal of accommodation, meals and treatments so for the money I paid it was value over quality. If you pay such a low amount you can only expect so much. The price should alert people to the quality to expect. In my defence, I ONLY BOOKED IT HAVING READ REVIEWS and saw the 4 stars and believed I had found a great deal which I couldn't believe. This leads me to question other reviews as genuine in my opinion. The good ones are formatted the same, quoting the package, glowing reports and just the one insignificant fault on each. Who is really writing them? Thanks to them I wasted a weekend in a venue I was disappointed in but I did pay a very low price to go there. I will never make that mistake again. I will go back to venues I have used before. (Look up Sopwell House in St Albans, it's great).

This is a genuine review and if you have taken the time to read it, please know that if you are expecting a 4 star hotel you will be disappointed. Realise what you are paying and be realistic as to what to expect. Lovely staff but cannot seriously live up to a 4 star rating in ANY way.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank caljones19027
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Dear caljones19027

Thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback after your recent stay. We are constantly striving to make improvements to our hotel and your comments are important. I was disappointed to read about your dinner, I will discuss this with the Head Chef. I will also address the points you have raised about the décor and fittings with the Maintenance Manager, you will be pleased to know he is already working on some improvement projects around the hotel.

Thank you for the great feedback about the team, I will be sure to share this with them all and also the spa therapist about your massage.

I hope that you will be planning to visit us again and that you will notice the difference.

Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here several times with my partner as we have always had wonderful stays! We stayed here in Early February as an early Valentines trip. Due to spa staff shortages I had to change my treatments I had booked. I was very disappointed.

The swimming pool was lovely, the jazccuzi was cosy and warm!! Our room was wonderful again (superior room) bathroom was spacious. The restaurant was fantastic. Especially Liam? And Laura- both so helpful and efficient. The reception staff were equally as efficient and lovely - it was great to see the same faces again as always on reception and in restaurant!

It was just a shame about the spa treatment incident.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Natasha F

Thank you for your recent review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I apologise that we were not able to offer you your treatment of choice that weekend – I do hope that you were able to enjoy the treatment we could offer. I will be sure to share your kind comments with my team.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2014

A few nights here while on business in the area. Rooms are large and wifi solid, but no fridge or bathrobes, which was disappointing. Staff friendly and helpful - food OK. did not get to try the spa side. Well located near the main roads, but set well enough away to be quiet and nice view across lake.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank CatterD
Dear CatterD

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Cambridge Belfry. I am pleased that our hotel met your needs. We always strive to improve our product and I have noted the comments you make about the fridges & bathrobes. Hopefully you will get the opportunity to use Reflections Leisure & Spa on your next visit.

Tiptree, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We booked a two night stay for our family - 2 adults and 2 children. We used to love this hotel, but the last time we visited, the restaurant was not up to its usual standard. So we were slightly anxious to go back. However, I'm really pleased to say that everything was great! The receptionists were helpful, the room was lovely and clean, (we had a Junior Suite) and the food in the restaurant was wonderful. Good choices which were prepared and cooked well. And no more nasty cold desserts to pick from a table! Lovely home made desserts back on the menu - and a live singer on the Friday night. The only thing I could say is I'm a chocoholic and there wasn't a good chocolate dessert for me, but the others were lovely!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Julie T
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, Operations Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Dear Julie T

Thank you for your recent review. I was really pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I will make sure I share your comments with the team.

Once again thank you and I hope to welcome you back to The Cambridge Belfry very soon.

Craig Vines
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambourne
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
#9 of 36 in Cambridge
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,133 reviews
Hilton Cambridge City Centre
Hallmark Hotel Cambridge

Been to The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel? Share your experiences!