“Disappointing experience and rude staff.”

The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cambourne
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I visited the Belfry Spa for a full body massage this afternoon. I had been looking forward to it for a while, I had booked the day off work especially and put my child in nursery. I arrived early for my appointment and was told by the boys on reception to take a seat on the sofa in the next room and that someone would be with me shortly. After waiting twenty minutes, I returned to the reception to ask if I had got the time wrong. The girl who was waiting for me looked shocked that I was there and asked me if I had filled out a form and been registered. I said 'no', so by the time I had filled it out, paid £55 and been taken round to the spa room, we were running fifteen minutes late and I was asked if I would like a different treatment that would be shorter as she didn't really have the time to do a full body massage. I said no, I would like the full body massage that I had paid for, so she rushed through it and finished after forty/forty five minutes. She didn't apologise, just said that if I was not happy I should talk to the boys on reception about getting some money back. I got the impression that she didn't believe that I had spoken to anyone on reception initially. I did just that, I said to the boy, 'you did tell me to go and sit on the sofa, didn't you?' just to make sure I wasn't going mad. 'Yes I did' he said through gritted teeth. So when I asked for some money back, he grudgingly gave me £11 and again, no apology.

Very disappointing experience all in all, poor service and I certainly won't be going back there again. I expect to come out of a Spa feeling relaxed, not all fired up and ready to complain!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2014

Dear MollDoll2

I am sorry that your visit to our spa did not run smoothly and that you were unable to experience your full treatment. It does appear that there was some miscommunication between the reception team to your Spa Therapist. Would you please contact Laura, our Spa Supervisor directly so that she can discuss with you. Her email address is cambridgebelfryspa@QHotels.co.uk.

There are newer reviews for The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel

Reviewed 29 April 2014

we stayed at the hotel this weekend and were fortunate enough to receive a complementary upgrade to a penthouse suite, which really was lovely! the service from all staff was also excellent, however, these are the only compliments i can give this hotel.

There was a wedding on saturday & a wedding fare on sunday, so we were unable to make the most of the facilities; the restaurant was fully booked, the bar was consistently full & room service took 2 hours to be delivered. After a week of trying to book in at the spa i was eventually told the spa was also fully booked. i did however finally get a reply to my initial booking inquiry the day that we left, offering us complimentary use of the spa facilities - something that was inclusive with booking at the hotel anyway?
The chocolates supplied in the room had bites taken out of them and the dressing gowns had definitely seen better days. overall we did enjoy the stay because of the lovely suite given, however, everything else was really disappointing.

other stays at QHotels have been far better

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MariaX4729GH
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, Operations Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Dear MariaX4729GH

Thank you for taking the time to give me your feedback after staying with us this weekend. I apologise that your stay was not as you had planned. I would be grateful if you could contact me so that I may discuss your comments with you. My email address is cvines@qhotels.co.uk.

Craig Vines

Reviewed 27 April 2014

This was our third weekend stay this year at The Cambridge Belfry. The staff are so lovely and welcoming that we always enjoy coming to this Q Hotel.

We had a fantastic stay, delicious food, 2 peaceful night's sleep and were looked after really well by the whole team.

Next month, we shall be visiting the Cheltenham Chase, another Q Hotel we visit regularly but will be back to The Cambridge Belfry for some more of their convivial hospitality in June.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank NorthamptonRicho

Dear NorthamptonRicho

I am really glad to hear that you have enjoyed another stay here at the Cambridge Belfry. I would also like to thank you for your lovely comments about the team.

I hope you enjoy your stay in Cheltenham and I look forward to welcoming you back to Cambridge in June.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Was at this hotel for a spa hen night. The staff in the spa were lovely and very helpful, rooms were modern and clean, as a bonus lifts are turned of over night so rooms not disturbed by lift noises. The hotel was very busy for the weekend and there was a bit of a wait for drinks at the bar and food but not to bad. Food was ok, catering for big parties so basic food but ok. Would recommend this hotel for groups as was very good value and good location from Cambridge.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear lolo5555

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about the Cambridge Belfry. I was pleased to read your feedback about the spa hen night. I hope that you will all visit us again in the future.

Best wishes for the Bride to be.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

I have just spent a weekend at the Cambridge Belfry with 10 friends, who meet every 2 years. It was my job to find an hotel and chose the Belfry from the internet, so a bit of a gamble! Thankfully it was a wise choice...we had a great experience. The hotel was spacious, the rooms were comfortable and very clean, the food was good and the service was wonderful! The two duty managers, Andrew and Stuart, both went out of their way to ensure our stay was a success. Prior to our stay I had long emails with the events manager who sorted out a private dining room for us, which was great as we didn't upset anyone with our noise! All the waiting staff were very friendly and efficient. We used the swimming pool which was very clean and warm. This is the second Qhotel we have stayed at, and I am sure we will choose another in the future. Thanks to everyone.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank lynnderby

Dear lynnderby

I am so pleased to read the great feedback after your reunion held at The Cambridge Belfry. I will be sure to share your kind comments with all of my team.

I hope you will consider us again for your 2016 reunion or sooner if the opportunity arises.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

This is a great place when you compare it with other hotels around, however it is slightly above the average when you consider the type of comfort you would expect from a 4-star hotel.
It has a great pool with Jacuzi, however the pool does not open very early in the morning hence if you are on a business trip as I was (piched 7.50am) you don't really have time for a swim and get changed and breakfast. You try after work and it suddenly gets crowded, pool is 12m and 1.3 deep only.
I haven't had a meal in the restaurant myself, however my colleagues that decided to stay in for dinner have not had a pleasant experience with the hotel restaurant. I also found particularly funny the fact that when some of my colleagues asked for a vegetarian option they were presented chicken.
Breakfast was good, there was choice (English, continental, mediterranean, cereals etc.) and coffee was good.
It was a good experience all in all, however it could be definitely improved.

Room Tip: Room 203 was not far from the list, but had a very comfy bed.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Diferdin

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback after staying at the Cambridge Belfry. I will share your comments with my team and ask that they address where necessary. I do hope we quickly rectified the mistake with the vegetarian meal, please pass my apologies to your colleague.

I hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Had a meeting to attend in Cambridge, so booked in to The Belfry at Cambourne; a slightly bizarre, new-town/village a few miles out of Cambridge itself, obviously built for commuters.

The hotel looks pleasant from the outside, with nicely landscaped gardens, and check-in was friendly and quick. My room was HUGE, with a full sized bathroom (with bath tub and separate shower - larger than my bedroom at home!) Everything was really clean, and in good order.

I used the swimming pool, which was good, and there were plenty of lockers in the clean changing rooms.

Dinner and breakfast were both good - although the restaurant is quite dated in appearance, and there isn't really any other nearby options, unless you fancy attempting to get in to car-unfriendly Cambridge city centre

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank benandglenn

Dear benandglenn

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel after your recent stay. I was pleased to read your comments and glad you liked your room. If you are staying again in the future and wish to travel into the city we can recommend some very convenient bus routes or park & ride options.

Mike Evans

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambourne
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
#2 of 36 in Cambridge
Holiday Inn Cambridge
Holiday Inn Cambridge
#11 of 36 in Cambridge

Been to The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel? Share your experiences!