“lovely break”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cambourne
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
“lovely break”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I stayed at the Belfry with my daughter for a spa break 13th -14th May 2014.
Overall the place was very good, excellent food and friendly staff. Included in our package was dinner, bed, breakfast, lunch and a 1 hour spa treatment for each of us plus full use of all the leisure facilities. we had a lovely time enjoyed all the food, treatment and pool, sauna and steam.
The staff were friendly and helpful even though we were given conflicting information about the use of facilities and lunch time, problems were quickly and smoothly sorted. some areas are getting a bit tired e.g. changing rooms but all areas were very clean and tidy.
I would defiantly go again it was good value for the price.

Room Tip: ground floor room was adequate, quiet and had a good view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lynn S
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dear Lynn S

Thank you for your recent comments given about your stay at The Cambridge Belfry. I was pleased to read that you and your daughter enjoyed your spa break with us. I will pass your comments on to the Spa Manager regarding the communication of timings so that this can be clarified with the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Mike Evans

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Korean first
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Stayed for one night 11th May. Room clean and staff all seemed very friendly. Breakfast was very good with plenty of choice. Hotel is about a 20 minuite drive from the centre of Cambridge. We had planned to use the swimming pool however unfortunately it was out of order. Overall nice hotel which I would return to.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Louise8589

I was pleased to read your comments after staying with us at The Cambridge Belfry and I am glad you enjoyed your stay. Please accept my apologies that the swimming pool was not available for use when you visited, it is now back up and running after the fault was rectified.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

San Francisco
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Bring your adapter!
In looking at the rest of the reviews for this hotel, it looks like it’s more popular amongst UK people, but it may not meet international standards.
First off, all of the plugs in this hotel are the standard UK size. I’ve been fine usually before, and I incorrectly assumed that a four star hotel would have had updated/universal plugs.
So I asked the front desk to borrow one, and they did not have an adapter for a three-pronged plug. She was nice enough to search around for me, but after she didn’t find one, she said I could go out and buy one from Morrison’s.
The concierge people were super nice, but just not that helpful. I asked them what was faster, Cambridge to London or Royston to London (since the hotel is equidistant to both of them). They said they didn’t know. I then had to look it up online myself (Royston is faster!). Also I forgot toothpaste, and they were out.
Also, the beds are quite small, which I am fine with, it’s just that the blankets are equally as small. They do not run off the edge, but only cover the top surface of the bed. I found that to be very odd, and at night my arms were cold, so I slept with a sweater.
Extra star for the gym: it is nice and spacious compared to some other ones that I’ve been at in the UK. There are about 6 treadmills; 3 elliptical machines; 3 rowing machines; and a lot of weight equipment.
Breakfast was good, though I thought it started a bit late (7-9?). It would have been great if they had it earlier so that people can catch earlier trains into the city.
Getting here: I decided to take a cab from Royston instead of from Cambridge. I’d be curious to see how people found it from Cambridge. I figured Royston would be easier because it was just a straight shot, whereas from Cambridge, you would have had to navigate the streets for a bit. My total fare came out to about 32 pounds on the way there, but about 25 pounds on the way back (apparently it depends on whether you book with a local cab or an outside cab). The ride akes about 20 mins.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Alilu007

Thank you for your recent review of The Cambridge Belfry and thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback. I am sorry that we did not have any travel adaptors for you when you visited, you will be pleased to know we have already ordered some more so if you are returning we will have one waiting for you.

We are currently in the process of updating our local information directory, I will make sure your comments regarding the trains are taken into consideration during this process.

Once again thank you and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Suffolk,
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Stayed here for a spa weekend with 10 of my friends. Apart from a few communication issues, reception staff giving us different information about paying, checking in, breakaway club, lunch being served later then we were told, bookings in restaurant not correct, we had a fantastic stay. Food was 1st class (amazing spa lunch buffet especially), rooms were more than adequate (spacious with everything you need), loved the spa & relaxation room (though pool/Jacuzzi was a bit cold on the first day) . Felt some of the treatments did not get the time assigned & it appear there was a lack of stock in the nail bar so that let that part down. However nothing would put me off coming again & I felt we got amazing value for money.

Room Tip: If you are with a party it might be worth asking if rooms could be near each other, we were more spr...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Hanl29

Thank you for taking the time to review The Cambridge Belfry on TripAdvisor. I have taken your comments on board and will share them with my team so that they can address quickly.

I am pleased that you and your party enjoyed your visit and I will look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Taunton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

A very difficult hotel to review with some excellent points but some poor aspects. I cannot make up my mind whether it is poor or average. Some excellent staff and excellent rooms bring from poor to average.
Good Points
Very good staff, excellent rooms, good location for business, WiFi free but of a variable quality
Poor Points
I am not a big eater but even I could have eaten more especially for the prices charged! I know another reviewer liked the lifts being switched off but I did find it bizarre. It is the only hotel I have come across to do it. Must mean the rooms next to the lifts are very noisy.
Poor staff, got my order wrong in the bar on the first night which probably has coloured my judgement. The barman was not paying attention. Breakfast poor, why oh why cannot hotels cook bacon properly. Is it just me? They overload a large tray, put it under a grill, half may be cooked but the other half pale and anaemic!! Not very appetising. Most of the stuff under the heat lamps was drying out, shrivelling up etc. No fried bread, no black pudding, no kippers, very little variety. Could do better to quote my old school report.
Overall it is the food which lets this place down especially when there is nowhere nearby. I would come back but only really I run courses in the Regus opposite!!

Room Tip: Not really any views so take your pick!!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Andrew J
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear Andrew J

Thank you for giving us your feedback. I would like to apologise that your breakfast was not as expected and sounds like our normal full selection was not available to you. Our Head Chef and Restaurant Manager have been working on some new buffet standards and I will make them aware of your comments. May I take this opportunity to thank you for your kind words about my team, I will be sure to share these with them.

I hope to welcome you back to The Cambridge Belfry in the future.

Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Very good new conference type hotel based 15 mins from Cambridge. Not in Cambridge so confusing why called Cambridge Belfry. No sign on busy dual carriageway, but if you knew it was in Cambourne then that would help? Staff need training as was told breakfast finished at 11am only to find it closed at 10.30? Staff at restaurant did make us up some breakfast but I do love a buffet breakfast. They said others were told that too and were confused. Restaurant full the night before but served the same menu in the bar so were not full? We always come with the right attitude and were not disappointed, but some fussy travellers may be. Stated on leaving about the breakfast and the lady said that they were serving until 11am? However she did not understand that they didn't! Definitely need some staff training and obviously some communication problems on what time breakfast is served. However the food was excellent and we found a waiter called Constantine or Costa for short who waited on us like royalty. Rooms are very comfortable and seem to be sound proof. Would have been nice if we would have had a discount voucher or something off our next stay as we stayed in another Q hotel in Stratford upon Avon. Would recommend this hotel for a group if managed properly and reception and bar/restaurant staff sorted out there differences. If not ask for Costas!
The hotel is situated within a housing estate so location is only really good for a base to explore Cambridge and surrounding area. Hotels in Cambridge are more expensive and not much parking.

Room Tip: Rooms are numbered strange! "2nd floor numbers start with 3? No sea views or anything worth loo...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pleasuretoserve007
Dear TAMember12282011

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Cambridge Belfry. Please accept my apologies for the misleading information given about the breakfast opening hours. I am pleased that you enjoyed the food whilst with us and will personally thank Costa for his great service.

I hope that we will welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

I visited the Belfry Spa for a full body massage this afternoon. I had been looking forward to it for a while, I had booked the day off work especially and put my child in nursery. I arrived early for my appointment and was told by the boys on reception to take a seat on the sofa in the next room and that someone would be with me shortly. After waiting twenty minutes, I returned to the reception to ask if I had got the time wrong. The girl who was waiting for me looked shocked that I was there and asked me if I had filled out a form and been registered. I said 'no', so by the time I had filled it out, paid £55 and been taken round to the spa room, we were running fifteen minutes late and I was asked if I would like a different treatment that would be shorter as she didn't really have the time to do a full body massage. I said no, I would like the full body massage that I had paid for, so she rushed through it and finished after forty/forty five minutes. She didn't apologise, just said that if I was not happy I should talk to the boys on reception about getting some money back. I got the impression that she didn't believe that I had spoken to anyone on reception initially. I did just that, I said to the boy, 'you did tell me to go and sit on the sofa, didn't you?' just to make sure I wasn't going mad. 'Yes I did' he said through gritted teeth. So when I asked for some money back, he grudgingly gave me £11 and again, no apology.

Very disappointing experience all in all, poor service and I certainly won't be going back there again. I expect to come out of a Spa feeling relaxed, not all fired up and ready to complain!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Dear MollDoll2

I am sorry that your visit to our spa did not run smoothly and that you were unable to experience your full treatment. It does appear that there was some miscommunication between the reception team to your Spa Therapist. Would you please contact Laura, our Spa Supervisor directly so that she can discuss with you. Her email address is cambridgebelfryspa@QHotels.co.uk.

Mike Evans
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambourne
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
#9 of 36 in Cambridge
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,133 reviews
Hilton Cambridge City Centre
Hallmark Hotel Cambridge

Been to The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel? Share your experiences!