“Disappointing return visit”

The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cambourne
Reviewed 28 May 2014

On returning here after an 18mth gap between visits we felt standards had slipped slightly and felt attention to detail wasn't as good as last time.
Room wans't ready at check in time and no robes available - no dinner reservations taken at this point therefore by the time we then tried to book only 6.45 & 8.45 slots available.
Spa was overbooked and quality of treatments definitely not as good as last time and no spare appointments to book an extra treatment that hadn't been pre-booked.
Stuart, one of the Duty Managers, took on the complaint and did his best to rectify but i think its fair to say we won't return here for a while if at all which is a great shame.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear KBoro

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback about our hotel. I am sorry that your stay was not as enjoyable as your previous one, it was a very busy weekend for us and whilst that is good news for us I appreciate your frustration where we had not got preferred times or space available for you. Our restaurant does get extremely popular and we do advise our guests to pre-book, I hope you were able to enjoy your evening meal with us even if it was not at your preferred time.

May I thank you for your comments and your feedback about Stuart, the Duty Manager.

I do hope to welcome you back to The Cambridge Belfry again in the future.

Mike Evans

Write a ReviewReviews (1,821)

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I attended a Gala dinner at the Belfry and was so impressed by the hotel decor and facilities. The staff were very attentive and helpful. The meal arrived hot and well presented. I had a soup starter which was lovely. My chicken main was tasty but a little dry. Lemon desert was super.
A most enjoyable visit.

Room Tip: I didn't spend the night there, so can't comment there but I can imagine the rooms are wonde...

Dear Littleplum7

I was really pleased to read your review after attending a Gala Dinner at The Cambridge Belfry. I will share your kind comments with my team and would like to thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

I do hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We met here for a hen weekend - it started with a lunch in the bar which was really good and staff very pleasant. We were too early to book into our rooms (before 3pm) so we went off to the races and returned at 6.30pm to be told on checking in that unfortunately some of our rooms were not ready. We waited in the bar for half an hour - but we needed to change as we had a private dining room booked for 7.30pm. When we got to our room it was still not ready - bed unmade, other peoples towels in bath - bathroom 'used' - not happy - rang reception and told they would come and do it if we came back to the bar. Explained about the dining room booking and asked if they could bring us clean towels at least and then they could clean when we were at dinner - it was 7.15 by now - so rush rush rush - absolutely no apology offered.
Dinner was very average - but we had a murder mystery party so the food was not really a big deal. Our Bride did complain that the hot puddings were all cold, so they were replaced which took ages. She asked to see the duty manager and he came and asked what the problem was, and on hearing about the rooms all he did was say that they had been terribly busy the night before which meant they did not get everything ready for us on time - again not much of an apology but he offered us a free bottle of wine and a jug of cocktails in the bar (for 15 people). It was a difficult situation because 1 person had booked everything and nobody likes to make a fuss when you are with friends on a fun weekend.
The beds were very comfortable.
The next morning breakfast was average and then we had appointments booked at the Spa.
Because it took quite a while for them to sort out who was having which treatment we started late and I only got a 15m massage when I had booked and was expecting 1 hour ! The girl was very nice, but new and she had been told I was having a half hour massage then another
half hour treatment - all the other girls had similar problems and our hostess had to go and sort out their appointment book for them.
It was a fun weekend but I wouldn't rush back. We all know that someone has been in the bedroom before us, but it is unpleasant to actually see the evidence.

Dear Suzanne B

Thank you for your recent review of The Cambridge Belfry. Please accept my apologies that you have had cause to complain about some aspects of your stay. We have already had feedback from the Bride to be and apologised to her directly. Please be assured that your comments have been taken seriously and have been shared with my team.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We booked the pink fizz spa break, and we're pleased with the room when we booked in. We enjoyed the sauna and steam room and swimming pool on arrival, although the ladies changing room seemed to be cluttered with discarded towels, so feel maybe a sign would be useful asking people to put the towels in the basket. I found it hard to reach the lockers on the top, as all the lower ones had be used! Also parents were too busy enjoying their time in the sauna, steam room and jacuzzi to watch their children who were jumping in the pool. We were booked to have a treatment together, had booked this prior to coming over the phone. But when we went to take our treatment together we were told someone was off sick and we couldn't have it together. This was a disappointment as we had travelled to this hotel from South Wales. (We were given a part refund). And offered coffee vouchers.
Food on Sunday evening was a carvery which was nice but felt it would of been nice to have a choice. (Potatoes were a bit too hard)Breakfast was ok, bacon slightly hard and chewy. Lunch was chicken/hake or gnocchi with tomato sauce, vegtables, chicken was quite rubbery would of been nice to be asked if we wanted that or use the bar menu! Really didn't enjoy the chicken and could see that a few other guests had left their chicken. Didn't sample the hake or the gnocchi.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Katherine P

Thank you for taking the time to give me your feedback after your stay last weekend. I was pleased to read that you liked your room and you enjoyed using our leisure facilities. I am sorry that we had to change your treatment times, I am pleased that the team thought to discount your treatment and offer you coffee but I do understand your frustration after travelling that distance.

I have also noted your comments regarding dinner and breakfast, I will share this with both the Head Chef and Restaurant Manager so that they are aware of your feedback.

Once again thank you and I hope to welcome you back to The Cambridge Belfry in the future.

Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

We were a group of ten on a hen do and from booking to checking in and the rest of the weekend the staff couldn't have done more to make it run smoothly and feel special even though we were on a spa break package which was amazing value and sometimes hotels then treat you a bit worse than others. Not this place- and they aren't over the top about what you can and cant do, exact timings for dinner, check out etc, very understanding. Lovely. Spa wasn't the most flashy but nice relaxation room and lovely treatments so fine! And the food was fantastic, also a surprise sometimes in spa hotels. Thanks very much.

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear Kate W

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Cambridge Belfry. I was really pleased to read your comments and glad that you all enjoyed your weekend.

Best wishes for the Bride to be and I hope we will welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

We stayed with a group of friends for a weekend, The hotel was excellent, from arrival to departure the members of staff were extremely polite and friendly, they could not do enough for us.We stayed on half board basis and all the meals were served on time and with a smile nothing was was too much and all requests were accepted and done. The room was clean and comfortable. and large enough for both of us. ( One point for future visitors, there are no safes in the rooms and you need to deposit with reception at a central safe, a bit inconvenienced as you need to go down to get your items ).
We taken the bus into Cambridge which a lot easier then to drive and look for parking space especially on the Saturday.

Will definitely come back again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear CLAYHALL

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to The Cambridge Belfry. I am pleased that you and your friends enjoyed your stay with us. May I take this opportunity to thank you for your comments about my team, I will be sure to share these with them.

I do hope that we will welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

We paid our usual annual homage to The Cambridge Belfry and was not disappointed. As ever it was a joy to stay there. On Friday night we dined in the hotel restaurant and the staff were very good. The restaurant Manager could not do enough for us and even went the extra mile as it was my birthday bringing out a cake made by my friend and got almost everyone to sing Happy Birthday. On Saturday night we had an organised function and it went like clockwork. The staff were perfect. So pleasant and personable without being intrusive. Our meal was good and served piping hot. Our room was super, extremely comfortable and plush. We recommend Room 230! Congratulations, it's a lovely place to stay.

Dear Jan119_12

I was really pleased to read your comments after your recent stay at The Cambridge Belfry. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and will be sure to pass your kind comments on to the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back again.

Mike Evans

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambourne
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
The Waterfront Hotel, Spa & Golf
Ramada Cambridge
Ramada Cambridge
#1 of 1 in Boxworth

Been to The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel? Share your experiences!