“Wonderful Weekend Celebration”

The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cambourne
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel with other family members to celebrate my Dad's 60th birthday and his retirement.

The hotel is modern, in pleasant surroundings with it's own lake, tennis court, pool and spa. It also has plenty of parking.

The staff are amazing, very friendly and welcoming and make you feel completely at ease.

Our rooms were clean and spacious and my mum and dad (who are regular Q Hotel visitors) were upgraded to a suite with it's own jacuzzi!

We had a late lunch on Friday afternoon and were on dinner bed & breakfast throughout our stay. All the meals we ate were delicious and the breakfasts were excellent.

Cambourne is situated only a few miles from Madingley Park & Ride which runs a very efficient service into Cambridge City Centre. After punting on the river and a little shopping we headed back to the hotel and spent some time together in the pool which was very relaxing.

It was a wonderful weekend made more enjoyable by the relaxing atmosphere at this hotel and I can see why my parents visit it so often.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Natalie R
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear Natalie R

Thank you so much for your kind feedback in your recent review. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and I do hope that your Dad enjoyed his double celebration. I will share your comments with my team and do hope to welcome you all back again in the near future.

Mike Evans

Write a ReviewReviews (1,861)

Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here in February before valentines weekend as it was busy last year...

Have stayed here in the past.

Booked two spa treatments - turned up at spa reception to find out one had been cancelled due to staff shortages so had to settle for another one instead. Apparently spa staff had tried to contact me but left no voicemail messages (I carry my phone with me all the time)

Spa facilities were still awful. Towels still left every where in changing rooms as well as robes. Floor was dirty and messy.

Have read up and spa manager started in June last year? Yet 6 months on spa facilities awful and nothing changed.

This is a shame as the rest of hotel is lovely-we ate at the hotel for two night and ate both nights. Restaurant staff so friendly and polite. Reception staff are an asset to the hotel-they should get recognised more...

Just a shame that the spa staff cancel appointments - it hasn't happened just to me. Management need to actually do something about this as when I went back in April the same thing happened-cancelling of people's treatments, messy changing rooms and towels every where-dirty ones!! (I find this a regular occurrence)

Spa facility needs to change- perhaps management need to listen and read what people are writing and change the way the spa facility is run. Perhaps a change of manger?, as nearly a year on, changing rooms are still a disgrace, and now appointments get changed without given customer notice until they turn up!

Such a shame spa let's hotel down as the rest of hotel and staff are fabulous. Spa staff and facilities have a lot to be desired

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Dear Natasha F

Thank you for taking the time to review The Cambridge Belfry after staying with us in February and April. I was disappointed to read that you were unhappy with the service you received. I would ask that you contact my Operations Manager, Craig Vines directly so that he can talk with you about the comments that you have made and some of the projects we are working on. His email address is cvines@qhotels.co.uk

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Went for a massage and spa day and overall not great. Facilities were ok, nothing amazing but price reflected that. What was frustrating was that I assumed it would be for adults but in fact there were babies and children in the pool and a fair bit of screaming etc. Then my massage started over 10 minutes late but finished bang on time so was much shorter than what i paid for and the masseuse kept leaving the room! The pressure was also very weak and it was not a good massage.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Dain S
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Dain S

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent spa day at The Cambridge Belfry. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your treatment and that it started late. The Spa team pride themselves on the services they offer and I am sure like me they will be disappointed with your comments. I will make sure that this valuable feedback is shared with them.

Once again thank you and I hope you will be back again in the near future.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at The Cambridge Belfry whilst attending a wedding recently.

As soon as you come up the driveway the hotel is imposing. It's very new but has a feel of something much older and more classic. Inside though is modern and comfy. The welcome was friendly and efficient. As the wedding was due to start before check-in time our room wasn't ready when we arrived, but they allowed us to complete the paperwork so that when a slot arrived in the wedding proceedings we could just pick up the key without the hassle of the admin.

The room was lovely. We paid slightly more and got a superior room. The room was large and the bed was really comfortable. The bathroom was a really generous size and had a separate bath and shower cubicle rather than the usual over bath shower you come to expect. I'd also just mention for the girls that the toiletries were top quality. The shampoo smelled delicious and the conditioner left my hair so smooth and silky.

The grounds of the hotel are beautiful. The terrace overlooks a large lake and provided a beautiful backdrop to the wedding photos.

The breakfast was delicious. A perfect range of fruit, cereals, meat and cheese, yoghurts and a well cooked full English. I judge a full English on the quality of the scrambled egg, and this scrambled egg was seriously buttery. I've put on a pound just thinking about it! My only gripe with the breakfast is that the toasters took so long to toast the bread that it may have been as quick to make fire with flint in the grounds and cook it that way.

There is a nice bar at the hotel, which also does teas and coffees. The selection is good but the prices were a bit steep. My cousin bought two gin and tonics and was charged £12.20.

It is worth mentioning that, lovely as this hotel is, if you're considering it for tourist purposes then you'll want a car. It's several miles away from Cambridge and not massively conveniently located, although the distance does make it a quieter getaway.

Overall I'd thoroughly recommend this hotel, whether you're planning for a night's rest or a wedding.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MrsMuffin81

Dear MrsMuffin81

Thank you for your recent review about The Cambridge Belfry. I am pleased that both you and your husband enjoyed your stay and thank you for your lovely comments about the different departments throughout the hotel.

I hope that we will be welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

The room, bed and bathroom were all good. No complaints there. The staff were friendly and helpful. No complaints there either. The setting was ok; quiet, if featureless and with a just-built, new town feel about it.

What was really disappointing was the lack of thought, effort and imagination that has gone gone into creating an atmosphere in the public areas, especially the lobby, bar and restaurant. Don't forget, this is an expensive hotel.

The food was also second rate, with a limited but expensive menu, poorly cooked and tasteless food, a joke of a cheese platter with stale bread and an outrageously expensive wine list. The coffee at breakfast was great though. Despite this last minute plus-point, I won't be going back.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank pac510

Dear pac510

I was disappointed to read that you were unhappy with your visit to The Cambridge Belfry. We pride ourselves on keeping the hotel at its best and where possible create a friendly and welcoming atmosphere, I am sorry that this was not as you had expected. I have taken the comments you make regarding the food and wine list on board and will share them with my Head Chef and Restaurant Manager. May I take this opportunity to thank you for your kind words about my team and I do hope you will consider visiting us again in the future.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We had a two day dinner bed and breakfast stay at the Cambridge Belfry which we considered fantastic value.
The staff were very friendly and attentive from check in to check out.
The room exceeded our expectations and the facilities were first class.

The hotel is a 5 min drive to the Cambridge park and ride.

There was a large wedding reception in the hotel on the Friday night but this did not affect our dinner on the Friday. We were a little concerned that breakfast on the Saturday could be busy ,which it was, but the hotel had increased its staffing and tables available to cope with the increased demand which meant we were able to still have a leisurely breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank roucire

Dear roucire

Thank you for your lovely comments posted on TripAdvisor. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and will share the feedback with my team.

I do hope you will be back to visit us again soon.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Have just returned from a lovely nights stay with 3 friends. Cannot fault anything, the inclusive lunch was fantastic, much more like dinner than lunch. Lots of choice and as much as you wanted. Likewise the evening meal was lovely, very well presented and served. The staff were always attentive without being too much 'in your face'. We also had two 30 minute spa treatments that were included, so all in all it was good value for money. We are already thinking about going there again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank pauli1102

Dear pauli1102

I was really pleased to read your recent feedback about The Cambridge Belfry. I will be sure to share your feedback with all of the team and thank you for taking the time to share this with us.

Looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Mike Evans

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambourne
Hallmark Hotel Cambridge
#2 of 37 in Cambridge
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
#1 of 37 in Cambridge

Been to The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel? Share your experiences!