“Dissapointed”

The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cambourne
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Stayed in Room 234 on Friday 1st August. First thing we saw on arrival was a pair of Womens underwear on the car park floor by reception. They didn't look "Fresh" to us. We went up to our room. There was a huge amount of noise being generated outside in the court area, and large "Vibrations on our room" On returing from a function elsewhere (At 01.00) The noise and vibrating continued. 5 Calls to Repction went unanswered, leaving us not getting to sleep until the early hours. We raised this with Reception on the Saturday A.M and no one updated us before we checked out. I also sent an email, and filled in feedback survey wanting to make a complaint, and call back.... So far nothing. I would say the hotel itself is ok, but the Communication from Q Hotels on my complaint has been non existent. Not would I would expect when paying the thick end of £200.00 for a hotel room for one night.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JandKBrighton
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Dear JandKBrighton

Thank you for your recent comments after staying with us at The Cambridge Belfry. I am sorry that you were disturbed by noise during your stay. We have received your feedback form and responded to you; hopefully you have received this now?

Best regards

Mike Evans

Write a ReviewReviews (1,863)

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Stayed here the night before my daughter's wedding last Friday. We booked 4 rooms, including a suite, and the hotel was obviously experiencing some staffing problems on this night.

I had phoned several months ago to request the rooms to be close together however the rooms could not have been further from each other and the lift leading to the top floor was out of order for the whole of our stay

Upon arrival we were met by ladies underwear lying outside and dirty breakfast dishes and trays outside the suites - at nearly 6pm.

The suite was advertised as having air conditioning, however this was out of order and we understand that it had been for a couple of days and was not due to be fixed until last Sunday. It was also a lot smaller and darker than we had expected and definitely not worth over £200 a night.

The bar area was understaffed and management were forced at times to run it.

We had a very poor meal in the restaurant and tried to speak to somebody about it as soon as we had been served. Nobody came to ask us how our meals were, which we were later told was the procedure, and I had to leave my dinner to go in search of a member of staff to help. However the member of staff we saw at this time, whom we were led to believe was the restaurant manager, was unhelpful and walked away from me without addressing our concerns. His answer was' We don't usually get complaints in fact most people praise us for our innovative food'.
Eventually we did get to speak to the duty manager who was extremely apologetic and helpful. He took the time to check with the staff and the kitchen about our experiences. Had it not been for this member of staff's actions it would have led to a very upsetting start to a special weekend for our family. He acknowledged our complaint and tried his hardest to ensure that our evening, and the morning of the wedding, went smoothly. Thankfully, we did eventually get to enjoy the evening so well done Stuart!

What a shame we did not receive this level of service from the moment we entered the hotel and what a shame I had to spend precious hours trying to locate a member of staff prepared to help.

This hotel has the potential to be an excellent venue however our stay was spoilt by poor levels of service in some areas and an obvious lack of staff. Q Hotels need to ensure that their staff are motivated and working in a happy environment if they expect the best from them. I blame the senior management for our experiences, not the staff on duty on the night. It is their job to ensure everything runs smoothly.

Room Tip: We were in a room next to a banqueting room being used for a wedding. On the ground floor towards th...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear JayBaillie

I am sorry to hear that you were not completely happy with your experience when you stayed with us last weekend. I know my Operations Manager and Duty Manager have already been in contact with you to discuss the points you have raised and to resolve the matter.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Stayed 2 nights for a Spa Weekend as a birthday, post baby, going back to work treat for my daughter. We could not have been made more welcome. The Spa treatments were excellent and the swimming pool, steam room, jacuzzi etc. were really good. Only downside was that the sauna was out of action. Food was good and imaginative, service friendly and helpful and our room was very comfortable and clean. We both stay in quality hotels a good deal so know the difference between good service and indifferent. Thank you for making for a relaxing invigorating weekend for us both.

Room Tip: Ask for a room well away from the function rooms in case there is something noisy on in the evening
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank lizacate

Dear lizacate

Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and hope your daughter enjoyed the treat. The Leisure & Spa Manager has informed me that the repairs required for the Sauna have been arranged and we hope for this to be in full working order very shortly.

I hope to welcome you back to The Cambridge Belfry in the very near future.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Situated about 20 minutes drive from the centre of Cambridge with good parking facilities, this hotel is convenient for Cambridge. You can use local transport or 'park and ride' to get into Cambridge, a city best explored without a car. Staff at the hotel were friendly and efficient. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Our suite was equipped with good sized en-suite with both bath and shower. The lounge area had a good sized sofa, work table and dining table. Two televisions, one in the bedroom, the other in the lounge area. On this occasion we did not get to use the leisure facilities, although Mrs T was very pleased with her manicure and nail treatment. Overall a pleasant experience and I would certainly consider this hotel again when next visiting the area.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Dear Nigtay62

Thank you for your comments after staying with us at The Cambridge Belfry. I am pleased that you enjoyed the hotel and its facilities. It is a shame you didn’t have the opportunity to use the leisure club, so hopefully you will be back again and take up the opportunity.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We attended a Ladies Masonic Festival at his hotel and they made a very good job of the organisation of the event. The service during the gala dinner was outstanding. The staff were friendly and willing to help in anyway they could. The down sides, whilst maybe considered minor did result in the hotel not getting a mark of five. A soda water when purchased with other drinks was charged at 85p, this to all intense and purposes cost the hotel nothing. We had three meals sitting next to windows at three different tables and the windowsills were very dirty with old food. dust and rubbish on them.Finally we both ordered an omelette and it took an age to arrive and was inedible so avoid ordering this at all costs.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Christine W

Dear Christine W

I would like to thank you for reviewing our hotel after attending a Masonic Festival with us. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay overall and I have taken the comments you make about the restaurant on board. I will make sure this important feedback is shared with the team so that they can address it quickly.

Once again thank you and I hope to welcome you back to The Cambridge Belfry again.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Just spent five nights here with forty others viewing the architectural gems of Cambridgeshire. Outstanding and polite service from a very well trained and charming staff, very comfortable and clean. Breakfast the best meal, vegetables could have stayed in the hot water a mite longer, vegetarians very well catered for and food imaginative and interesting. Well done TCB.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Christina E

I was really pleased to read your comments after your party stayed with us at The Cambridge Belfry. I am glad you enjoyed your time at the hotel and thank you for your kind comments about my team. I know the Chef was made aware of your feedback about the vegetables and I hope that they were well cooked for all of the other meals.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Needed a bath and a comfy bed after cycling around Cambridge. Hotel is well presented with nice landscaping. Friendly welcome at reception. Modern spacious bedroom with separate bath and shower. Comfy bed.

Nice pool area with sauna and steam room which worked a treat on sore legs. One of the guests mentioned that some of the Tour de France cyclists stayed at the hotel before they set off for London.

Dinner and breakfast in the restaurant was very good.

Lovely hotel, pleasant staff and offering good value - would recommend the Cambridge Belfry to anyone.

Room Tip: Rooms with a lake view seem to be the most pleasant. There are a lot of rooms on the ground floor i...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Dear damian_connolly

Thank you for your recent review of The Cambridge Belfry. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay. I will share your comments with my team and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Mike Evans

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambourne
Hallmark Hotel Cambridge
#2 of 37 in Cambridge
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
#1 of 37 in Cambridge

Been to The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel? Share your experiences!