“A Very recomendable hotel!”

The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cambourne
uk
“A Very recomendable hotel!”
Reviewed 30 March 2010

Just a quick note to anyone considering staying at The Cambridge Belfry Hotel in Cambourne (Near Cambridge)
Location to Cambridge city centre, which I assume is why most people would be searching this hotel, is about 7-8mins by Taxi. You will need to go back along the motorway, and it`s not do-able on foot.
The hotel is quite well set out, the staff, I thought were very pleasant and effecient, I got a disabled room at first, which was not particularly neccesary, I didnt make a fuss and agreed a £100 upgrade for one of the penthouse rooms, which was very nice. The reception manager on Duty (Amit Joseph) was wonderful in sorting out the arrangements very rapidly!
Dinner was well presented and reasonable in price, and I could find no complaint with anything I or the others in the party ate.
Breakfast was superb, and the staff were highly rated.
If I had to find fault, I would say that the chlorine levels in the spa/pool need toning down, and it would be nice if the hotel bar stayed open, and staffed until the early hours, although we could still drink, we did feel as though we should hurry up and go to bed, although, I dont suppose watching drunken antics for the barmen was much fun!
I would definately go back, and being a moany [--] and very hard to please, I`m happy to reccomend the Belfry!

Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Korean first
North West
Reviewed 29 March 2010

I am stunned to read the negative comments left for this hotel. My husband and I (in our 60's) had a very happy 4 night stay. We have stayed in top class hotels all over the world. We have also paid top class prices. I am classed as fussy! I am not going to write a book so here goes.....

1. You need a car.
2. Staff fantastic.
3. Spotless.(And I'm a fusspot)
4. Breakfast excellent
5. Beds divine. (We have a Tempur bed at home)
6. Best bathroom we have ever had in Britain.
7. Pool and facilities excellent.
8. Great Pub a short walk away.
9. Local restaurants a short walk away.
10 Park and ride into Cambridge 3 miles away. Excellent!

What more could you want? I don't get it? A fantastic hotel and I would definitely book again if I am in that part of the country. DO NOT HESITATE....BOOK IT.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
norfolk
Reviewed 21 March 2010

The staff are all friendly and helpful. nothing was too much trouble. Rooms were comfortable, we were provided with ice buckets on request for our champagne! Very good breakfast and our evening meal was also good. Altogether excellent value for money.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
TheCambridgeBelfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 23 March 2010
Thank you for taking time to review your stay, I was glad to hear that the staff had been very helpful and friendly and that you have had enjoyed your meals. The team will appreciate your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Reviewed 13 March 2010

This was the second time i stayed at the hotel.

On both occasions the rooms i have been in seem to have a serious lack of heating. Talking to colleagues it seems to be the same in many of the rooms, it feels like the heating system has a serious design fault, as even when you put the radiator onto full heat it doesn't warm the room up at all.

What was really disappointing was that the duvet was so waver thin...maybe something like a tog 4 at most, pretty much just a sheet. And I was so desperate for a warm duvet given the freezing room. The dirty stained bedspread is a worry and i didn't feel I could make use of that as who knows what those stains are! Made use of the two blankets to try and keep warm but that was a real let down.

Quality of food was ok, but not very good value. i ordered room service one night and a portion of chips was tiny (you could count the number almost in single figures)

When we used a meeting room , they tried to cram us round a small amount of tables and whilst the food was generally pretty good, we were worried when one batch of sandwiches appeared to include moldy bread.

Service was generally ok.

The rest of the room is ok, albeit a little dated (big old 1990s style TVs etc). Broadband didn't work in the room.

Aside from all this, the hotel is good location for road access and whilst i'd probably need to bring extra blankets or duvet myself next time to keep warm, i would stay again - but not for leisure

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
TheCambridgeBelfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 19 March 2010
Thank you for commenting online regarding your recent stay with us. I was glad to note that the stay was for the most part enjoyable although disappointed to hear you felt it was average.

We aim for the guest experience at the Cambridge Belfry to be far from average and have noted your comments and will ensure that the right actions are drawn from them.
Reviewed 10 March 2010

I took my fiancee up to Cambridge for a birthday treat weekend away and we were so disapointed. From the time I booked the room the front dest didn't send an email to confirm the details, depite ringing to ask them again to send an email confirming the details, they said they would and this time they sent a blank email with no details. When I checked in, they said there was a problem with the email and she didn't have any contact details to let me know. Except when she printed off my room details there was my mobile phone number, I don't appreciate lies.

Then we went to have a meal....big mistake. I had been impressed with the so called 2 Rosettes, but the jury must have been drunk when they judged the food. But worse then the food was the incredibly rude and poor service. The first waitress took our order and after a long wait came out with the starters, when I asked where our drinks were, she just snapped that it wasn't her job but that there was another waitress doing the drinks.

When the mains came after waiting for 45 minutes, my partners vegetarian pasta dish came out as a chicken pasta dish, it took over 20 minutes to replace the dish and out came this joke of a dish with plain pasta with cheap mushrooms chopped on top....no wild mushrooms or capers (as in the menu), just appalling rubbish food.

I tried to complain to the waitress but all she wanted to know was whether we wanted a dessert. After waiting for a long time for her to return with the menu to choose a dessert I had to ask the on duty "manager" to assist. He took our order but low and behold 25 minutes later and a complaint to the duty manager left him in the kitchen for 10 minutes (presumably) making our chocolate shared dessert. My comments to him about the poor service led him to say "WELL IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE SERVICE.....THERE YOU GO". I felt quite sick that someone could be that rude, let alone in the industry of customer service... let alone a "Duty Manager".

I was so disgusted I went to the front desk who said that there was no general manager this weekend but would go and speak to the duty manager. She returned saying that "He said that he has already spoken to you", as if to say he's already told me off for speaking my mind. I wanted my money back and to get out, but of course there was no one there who could authorise this so I would have to come back tomorrow and speak to the front desk manager/supervisor.

I made my comments to him the next day and he was very professional and respectful, he upgraded the room and said that the hotel manager would be back on Monday and I could speak to him, as there was no way of getting any progress until then, I decided to wait and see Cambridge as that was the purpose of the trip. Monday came and there was no manager to speak to me. Despite waiting around, he "wasn't available". So I was promised a phone call by the manager within a few hours to listen to my complaint, but 2 weeks later......still nothing.

I was very dissappointed in the stay, the hotel is understaffed, undertrained and the managers non-existant (all bar the front desk gentleman who no doubt holds the place together). I think the biggest dissapointment was the fact that no hotel manager had the respect/balls to phone a disappointed customer to appologise.

This is my experience and I wouldn't ever go back.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Johnny-Phoenix22
Reviewed 8 March 2010

I've just come back from the Belfry this weekend and it was the worst stay I've had at a supposed 4 star hotel based on the service. I was there with a party of 20 for a hen do where we were going to use the spa in the day and then have a murder/mystery dinner.

From the moment that we arrived, it was a big disappointment. We arrived a little early at 1.30 and check in was supposed to be available from 2. We were told that our room was currently being cleaned and it would be 25 mins so we went to wait in the one room that was ready. We waited for 45 mins just to give them so extra time and then I called reception from the room that we were in. I let in ring for ages but no one bothered to answer the phone. But when I called from my mobile someone answered straight away! Its nice to know that they value potential guests more than the ones that are staying with them!! Then we were told that our room still wasnt ready and they would call us when it was done.
Eventually we got out room and it was ok - although the bed spread that I had was covered with stains from who knows what! The rooms are also very noisy and the beds arent comfortable either. (Other people that we were staying with had problems with the showers. One got scalded as the water goes from hot to cold. Another had the shower head fall on her when she had a shower. She was left a complimentary bottle of champagne to compensate and a note to say that it had been fixed but the next morning the same thing happened!)
Next issue was the spa - you're not allowed a robe or slippers unless you are paying for a spa package or staying in a deluxe room. You dont even get anything if you're paying to have a treatment. So you have to walk back to your room (across the reception) with just a wet towel. We were made to feel like second class citizens by the terrible spa staff. I would never want to be spoken to like that especially not in a hotel as a paying customer. Its also badly organised as I wanted to extend my treatment from half hour to a full hour and was told by one person that it was fine but then by another that I couldnt.

Note that I did ask to speak to the general manager but he was unavailable as he was serving lunch and even though the reception desk knew my name, they didnt pass on my message to get him to contact me to discuss my complaints.

In the evening, we were having a dinner for 20 of us and we were told only a few days before that we all had to have the same choices for all 3 courses (apart from vegetarians). The main course was a chicken supreme and was disgusting - it was greasy and had some weird filling in it. The 'roast' potatoes were like those that you get for school dinners. I'm glad that we had brought some snacks with us.

I wish we had stayed in a hotel in Cambridge town centre as this is miles away (about 20 mins in a taxi). And the final straw was getting the hotel to sort out a taxi for us to get back to Cambridge station. We ordered one with plenty of time and were told it would be 15 mins which gave us plenty of time but we ended up waiting 40 minutes which resulted in one of our party missing her Eurostar traing from London. It may well have been the taxi firms fault but it was just the icing on the cake. So my final words are DO NOT STAY HERE!!

• Stayed March 2010
1 Thank Dorabella888
forestpines, David Rowley, Deputy General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 9 March 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving feedback regarding your recent stay. I am very disappointed to hear of your recent experience at the Hotel.

As a Hotel we strive for excellent customer service. The experience you describe is far from our usual high standards and I will be contacting you directly shortly to discuss your stay further
Herts
Reviewed 27 February 2010

Have just arrived back from a very relaxing break at the Cambridge Belfry. The room was fantastic, spotlessly clean & offered everything I was hoping for, I could see my face in the bathroom sink- the seperate shower is also a real plus point. We ate breakfast lunch & dinner and were not disappointed at all. Portion sizes were absolutely fine. We booked an inclusive package so dinner was included. I'm glad we didn;t have to pay seperately for dinner as it was VERY expensive, drinks were reasonable though with a large bottle of mineral water at £3.80 & a pint at £3.30.... so not too bad. Staff were friendly, we used the spa which was ideal for us, though they could do with having some rooms a lot closer to the spa so you don;t have to get changed to go to your room. Masseuse Gemma was lovely & gave a brilliant massage. The only complaint about the spa was the relaxation room which was packed quite a bit, though it had only just opened so perhaps a bit of a novelty. Cambourne itself is quite a strange & surreal place, completely new & a bit soulless but once in the hotel everything is catered for. Overall we enjoyed our stay & for Value for money it's unbeatable, I will be going back as soon as possible!!!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
forestpines, Deputy General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 4 March 2010
Thank you for leaving a review online regarding your recent stay at the Hotel. I was delighted to note that it was both enjoyable and relaxing. I do hope you will return to us in the near future to experience the other areas of our newly extended Spa facility.

Please feel free to contact me if I can be of assistance

David
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambourne
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
#8 of 36 in Cambridge
Holiday Inn Cambridge
Holiday Inn Cambridge
#11 of 36 in Cambridge

Been to The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel? Share your experiences!