“Great location for Walking with a fabulous restaurant”
Review of The Maynard

The Maynard
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Grindleford
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Very friendly and helpful staff, great location and we had a fabulous meal in the restaurant. On a negative point we didn't get the suite we had booked through booking.com with fabulous views of the Derwent Valley and free-standing roll-top bath which was disappointing. We also had a few minor issues with the family room we was given.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
MaynardHotel, Manager at The Maynard, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at The Maynard.

I can only apologise for any error made with your booking and during your stay. If you wish to discuss these any further I would be happy to do so. My direct email is hugh.skelton@fdgroup.com

I am pleased that you had an enjoyable meal and were well looked after by our team of staff and hope that the issues during your stay wont affect you returning to the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

Stayed just one night in January and wished it were more. We booked The Maynard mainly as it was dog friendly and was in a lovely part of The Peak District. We were slightly worried when we saw scaffolding but on entering we saw how lovely and welcoming it all was. Our bedroom was huge and warm with an excellent bathroom and the view just perfect. We had a most amazing meal in the bar area with the BEST chips ever! We were most pleased when they allowed us in the bar for breakfast so we could bring our dog in ..a lovely touch. All in all it was superb and I feel I need to mention all the staff especially the younger girls who were both professional and extremely friendly ..thank you and good luck with the refurbishments.

Room Tip: Room 6 was lovely
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review your positive experience with us here at The Maynard.

Unfortunately due to the terrible weather conditions at the end of 2013 and beginning of 2014 our roof has needed some essential emergency repair work. I am glad that did not affect your stay and appreciate your understanding.

We pride ourselves on our food, standard of service and being one of the only dog-friendly hotels in the area so I delighted you found all of these to be of a high standard.

We will look forward to welcoming you again in the future post refurbishment!

Reviewed 3 January 2014

The staff were having a well earned rest on Jan 1 so we booked for the following night. Although quiet we had attentive staff and a very pleasant atmosphere. The dinning room is big and spaced out so there was plenty of room between tables. The food was excellent, all three courses were superb and there were surprise pallet cleansers between courses. We had the soup, scallops, steak and venision and they were all delivered beautifully in correct size portions. Despite having eaten too much over xmas and inflated appetites we both walked away feeling like we had eaten a good meal without being overly full.
A splendid evening and we will be back again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your excellent review on dining with us in our restaurant. We always aim to give the staff a small break over Christmas for their hard work.

I am delighted the meal exceeded your expectations and you found the the portions to be of an enjoyable size. I will pass all your comments on to our Head Chef and his team as I'm sure they will be pleased to know how much you enjoyed your meal.

We will look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Even in the worst of the british weather this little Gem in the peak district was enough to bring a smile back to your face to avoid the weather.

Rooms are wonderfully appointed. The staff were friendly and very accommodating throughout our stay.

We eat in the pub restaurant which personally was a little disappointing, expensive for the amount of food and quality was not such to justify the price, however we went out to a local pub the second night and had larger better quality food for less price.

Stay here and you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your excellent review of the hotel. I am delighted that despite the weather you had such an enjoyable stay with us, we are lucky to be situated in an area with plenty of indoor activities as well as outdoor!

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your meal with us. We appreciate your comments and I will discuss them with the Head Chef as we are always looking to improve.

I am glad that the meal did not affect your overall stay and hope we will be able to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

We'd really recommend The Maynard as a classy place to stay if you are planning a trip to the Sheffield-end of the Peak District with walking and good food. We stayed on a Friday night in November and paid £115 for a standard double room with breakfast. The room itself was modern but comfy and well-appointed. We had a good night's sleep and it even had an up-to-date selection of good magazines! The only niggles were the slightly erratic shower and the fact that the room was a bit hot.

The hotel is opposite Grindleford railway station and close to a lot of great walking routes. The hotel very helpfully have written their own walking guides and have copies to give out. We only wanted something light to eat so chose to eat in the bar rather than restaurant. The service was still good and they did a great ploughman's and a fantastic selection of ice creams. Staff were friendly and helpful. Also the breakfast in the morning was excellent. The room itself we thought was on the pricey side but for the overall experience, with food included, we would definitely go again.

Room Tip: Room 4 has a hot water pipe running through the room, so that controls the temperature rather than a...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nottingham27
MaynardHotel, Manager at The Maynard, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Thank you for your positive review on The Maynard. I am delighted you had an enjoyable stay with us and managed to take advantage of the walking guides and beautiful Peak District scenery.

I apologise about the temperature of the hotel, we always aim to keep this to at a comfortable level for our guests.

We will look forward to welcoming you to The Maynard again in the future,

Reviewed 18 November 2013

My husband and I had our Wedding breakfast and Evening reception here a few weeks ago, plus our party all stayed the night, Kate the wedding planner was absolutely brilliant from the day we went to look round to the actual day itself, so patient and helpful. All the staff were fantastic, polite, helpful, the place was clean,warm and friendly. I truly had the Perfect Wedding Day that I had dreamt about thanks to the Maynard and its staff.

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank you for your lovely review on The Maynard. I am so glad that your wedding day was so perfect and that it all exceeded your expectations.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you back again in the future! Perhaps for your 1st anniversary if not before.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

I've been a regular visitor to the Maynard since 1998 (my sister's wedding), we had our wedding reception here in 2003 and for 7 years afterwards we spent a week here in August for our wedding anniversary. It was always perfect in every way, even though the rooms were a little shabby and the plumbing was somtimes flaky.

Service and cleanliness took a dip after the refurbishment and declined every time we visited. Our last regular stay, in August 2010, prompted a poor review from my wife on TripAdvisor, due to the poor service and lack of cleanliness. We had avoided the Maynard since then.

We've just returned from a three day stay to celebrate my birthday, and I'm very happy to report that the Maynard is much improved from 3 years ago. The rooms are clean (and are cleaned every day!), the public rooms are warm and comfortable and also clean. The food is excellent and the staff (especially the junior members) are friendly, welcoming and attentive. The winter deals are, imho, very good value for money.
I am so glad the Maynard has got its mojo back!

Room Tip: The suite is fantastic, but Room 10 has just as good a view of the valley and is lovely.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Maynard. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable birthday stay with us and that you feel the hotel is once again back on form.

I hope we will be able to welcome you again in the New Year where we will once again have some amazing offers on!

Hugh Skelton

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grindleford
Losehill House Hotel & Spa
George Hotel
#1 of 2 in Hathersage
Innkeeper's Lodge Castleton, Peak District
Rutland Arms Hotel Bakewell

Been to The Maynard? Share your experiences!