“Chatsworth Spring Break”
Review of The Maynard

The Maynard
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Grindleford
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Excellent value two night break including breakfasts, one evening meal, tickets to Chatsworth House and a packed lunch. Hotel staff were friendly and attentive - nothing was too much trouble. The food in both the restaurant and bar was first class. Our room was spacious, clean and in excellent decorative order as were the public areas of the hotel. The walking guides provided by the hotel were well written, easy to follow and informative. We are very likely to stay again at The Maynard to explore more of The Peak District.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
MaynardHotel, Manager at The Maynard, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review about our hotel, I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your Chatsworth Spring Break.

I am glad that the food and service provided by our staff were both of a very high standard and you found all areas of the hotel well kept and comfortable.

I am delighted you had an enjoyable stay with us and managed to take advantage of the walking guides and beautiful Peak District scenery.

I hope we can welcome you back to The Maynard soon.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 27 April 2014

We stayed at the Maynard recently expecting a really nice luxury hotel, after viewing the restaurant and enjoying a few drinks previously. I have to say we were very excited to be staying.

Upon checking in we viewed the room which was clean with lovely furniture, if a little small. Our nights sleep was good though desk staff were at a bit of a loss when we needed a needle and thread - standard hotel ancillary surely? The shower was very powerful and hot, even if the head did spray everywhere.

Our issues lay mainly with breakfast which was not detailed to us, we only really knew that breakfast started at 9.30 due to the sign on the front desk. Nobody bothered to tell us that breakfast was ONLY available from 9.30 until 10am! 30 minutes for breakfast?? I have stayed in a LOT of hotels but never experienced such a tiny window. This was ridiculous.... check out was at 10.30am which left us feeling very disheartened with the whole experience - For £130 a room this is daylight robbery. You could book many hotels for around the £100 mark that would absolutely trample on the Maynard. Several times during the night we spotted several couples loitering around the front desk awaiting assistance for their room, the staff were very pleasant which offered a small consolation.

This is the worst review I've given so far on TA which annoys me as I'm the sort that normally looks for the best in a venue.

2  Thank 1Animal1_1

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Maynard. I am sorry to read that it not meet your expectations.

Just to clarify with our standard breakfast service guests are free to come down from 7:30am with the last entry into breakfast at 10:00am. The morning after a wedding we offer the bride and groom a more social option of all their guests eating together. Breakfast is served as a buffet so it can be taken as one large party and gives the bride and groom the option of one last social occasion with their family and friends prior to departing. On this occasion the time chosen by the bride and groom was 9:30am and we honoured their request. I apologise that you did not feel the time was communicated to you on check in.

We do not currently offer sewing kits, however, it is something I will look into for the future.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

We arrived in a stress about booking rail tickets, the young mangeress helped us no end Thank you. Breakfast was yummy and plentiful, bed was very comfortable, bathroom to die for!!!!!!bubble bath each night. History abounds in the area

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
MaynardHotel, Manager at The Maynard, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Thank you for your positive review of our hotel. I am very glad you enjoyed your stay with us at The Maynard.

I am pleased to hear that your ticket problem was rectified and our staff provided you with a professional and courteous service.

We are lucky to be situated in a place surrounded by beautiful landscape and where history comes in an abundance, giving our guests an excuse to escape to the Peak District time and time again.

I hope we can welcome you back to The Maynard hotel in the future.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Only visited to use the restaurant. On arrival we were very disappointed as everything seemed very chaotic despite it not being too busy. However we decided to give it a chance. The service was dreadful, forgot drinks, food orders, served more recent visitors first etc etc..

However when the correct food did finally arrive, it was heavenly. Couldn't fault the food at all.

We will return based merely on the yummy food, but please get your serving staff sorted!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chezwylde

Thank you for your review of The Maynard.

We pride ourselves on the standard of food and service we offer to our guests throughout the hotel and always take our customer feedback seriously. I'm sorry to hear you did not enjoy your dining experience with us and your comments may be used in future staff training.

I hope the issues raised will not deter you from visiting The Maynard again.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

The staff were charming and helpful, the breakfast was excellent and there was real coffee in the room - these all very much appreciated.. Our room (number 8) was disappointing though; the sink didn't drain properly (I had to wash my face using the bath tap in the end), the toilet wobbled on its base, the WiFi wasn't working either in the room or the bar area (but did the following morning in the dining room), for some reason there was only one bedside light..all incrediblely annoying. First impressions of this hotel were good, but it was soon apparent that much more care was required in the detail.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review of The Maynard, we do take all our feedback seriously.
Thank you for bringing these specific points to our attention, I will look into them as soon as possible.

I hope the issues raised will not deter you from visiting The Maynard again.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Absolutely first class room, superb food in the restaurant and very pleasant and helpful staff, we were well impressed! I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again, I have paid a lot more to stay in hotels that weren't a patch on the Maynard, excellent!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

I would like to thank you for your very positive review of your stay at our hotel.

I am really pleased to hear that the both food and the service provided by the staff were of a very high standard, and surpassed your expectations when compared to other hotels.

I hope we can welcome you back to The Maynard very soon.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

We found The Maynard via a late deal booking site, as we needed a dog friendly hotel, and this hotel said they actively encouraged doggie guests. Sometimes that can mean a compromise on comfort and luxury, but this is definitely not the case with The Maynard.
Recently refurbed, this hotel is a wonderful mix of old charm and chic decor. Our room (7) was huge, with a massive bed and a proper mattress on the Zed Bed for our son.
The staff are so friendly and accommodating; everyone we spoke to couldn't have been more helpful.
And the food (breakfast and dinner) was on the upper end of the hotel catering scale.
Walking straight out of the hotel finds you directly next to the most picturesque waterfall, with an energetic scramble up hills and over boulders. Perfect for shifting the breakfast calories!
We highly recommend this place and will definitely return in the future.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 381janee

Thank you for your excellent review of your stay at The Maynard hotel.

I am glad you found the comfort of your room excelled your expectations, and I am delighted that the food and service provided by our staff was also to a high standard.

I am pleased to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and managed to take advantage of the beautiful Peak District scenery. I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Hugh Skelton

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grindleford
Losehill House Hotel & Spa
George Hotel
#1 of 2 in Hathersage
Innkeeper's Lodge Castleton, Peak District
Rutland Arms Hotel Bakewell

Been to The Maynard? Share your experiences!