“Excellent”
Review of The Maynard

The Maynard
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Grindleford
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Stayed at the Maynard after a wedding on the 29th.The staff could not have been more friendly/helpful. The room was clean and spacious with a glorious view of the garden and surrounding countryside. With a bed to die for! We did not have our dogs with us but it is good to know that it is doggie friendly. Breakfast was lovely, again nothing was to much trouble for the staff. Would highly recommend as a place to stay or as a wedding venue!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank MargaretH61
MaynardHotel, Manager at The Maynard, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Thank you so much for your postive review of our hotel. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and I hope our team made the occasion one to remember. We are privileged to be situated in such a beautiful part of the world and feel it's the perfect backdrop for such a special day.

We pride ourselves on being one of the only 'dog-friendly' hotels in the area and we would be more than happy to welcome your four-legged friends to stay at our hotel.

I hope you come and visit The Maynard again in the near future.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Very friendly and helpful staff, felt well looked after. Charming little hotel. Good food and clean, comfortable surroundings. Ideal base for exploring the beautiful Derbyshire countryside. Our room overlooked the gardens and the stunning views across the valley. Other guests had dogs staying with them but this is very discrete and there's no sign of dogs in the communal areas. Stayed just one night, and felt really relaxed.

Room Tip: Large room overlooking the gardens
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
MaynardHotel, Manager at The Maynard, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review of our hotel. I am pleased to hear that we made your mini getaway one to remember. We pride ourselves on both the high standard of food and the service provide by all our staff and I hope they excelled your expectations.

The hotel was completely refurbished and updated a few years ago, whilst ensuring not to lose its original heritage, we want it to be a place where people can come to relax and unwind in the beautiful and tranquil Peak District country-side.

I hope we can welcome you back to The Maynard very soon.

Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

Arrived 20th May after a last minute booking to get away for the fine weather. From the moment of arriving to leaving on 22nd our stay was faultless. The staff, room, food and hotel is excellent. The staff must have a policy of making it special and work hard at it, well done all. We enjoyed all aspects of the hotel and evening meal in restaurant is a must but the bar food is just as good. Overall we will can't wait to return. Loved it.

• Stayed: May 2014

Thank you for your excellent review of The Maynard. I'm glad to hear all aspects of the hotel met, if not excelled, your expectations. We are a hard working team and believe in making each of our guests feel welcome and valued.

I am pleased to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and I hope we can welcome you back to The Maynard very soon.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

We arrived early but parked in the Hotel car park, when we went into reception to ask if this was ok the member of staff told us our room was ready and we could book in now, good start to our stay, we were shown to room 6...what can I say amazing...the view was beautiful. The room was clean and the decor modern but very fitting for the age of the Hotel. The bed was brilliant, lots of room and so comfy...wish I could take it home with me. We used the resturant in the evening, staff very helpful and friendly, the food was outstanding 1st class and breakfast was just as good. Highly recommended a real treat, just wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Emily R

Thank you for your very positive review of our hotel. I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We pride ourselves on the standard of our rooms, and feel privileged to be situated in such a beautiful part of the country.

I am also glad to hear you enjoyed your dining experience with us and that you were well looked after by all our staff throughout your stay.

I hope we can welcome you back to The Maynard very soon.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Excellent value two night break including breakfasts, one evening meal, tickets to Chatsworth House and a packed lunch. Hotel staff were friendly and attentive - nothing was too much trouble. The food in both the restaurant and bar was first class. Our room was spacious, clean and in excellent decorative order as were the public areas of the hotel. The walking guides provided by the hotel were well written, easy to follow and informative. We are very likely to stay again at The Maynard to explore more of The Peak District.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
MaynardHotel, Manager at The Maynard, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review about our hotel, I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your Chatsworth Spring Break.

I am glad that the food and service provided by our staff were both of a very high standard and you found all areas of the hotel well kept and comfortable.

I am delighted you had an enjoyable stay with us and managed to take advantage of the walking guides and beautiful Peak District scenery.

I hope we can welcome you back to The Maynard soon.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 27 April 2014

We stayed at the Maynard recently expecting a really nice luxury hotel, after viewing the restaurant and enjoying a few drinks previously. I have to say we were very excited to be staying.

Upon checking in we viewed the room which was clean with lovely furniture, if a little small. Our nights sleep was good though desk staff were at a bit of a loss when we needed a needle and thread - standard hotel ancillary surely? The shower was very powerful and hot, even if the head did spray everywhere.

Our issues lay mainly with breakfast which was not detailed to us, we only really knew that breakfast started at 9.30 due to the sign on the front desk. Nobody bothered to tell us that breakfast was ONLY available from 9.30 until 10am! 30 minutes for breakfast?? I have stayed in a LOT of hotels but never experienced such a tiny window. This was ridiculous.... check out was at 10.30am which left us feeling very disheartened with the whole experience - For £130 a room this is daylight robbery. You could book many hotels for around the £100 mark that would absolutely trample on the Maynard. Several times during the night we spotted several couples loitering around the front desk awaiting assistance for their room, the staff were very pleasant which offered a small consolation.

This is the worst review I've given so far on TA which annoys me as I'm the sort that normally looks for the best in a venue.

2  Thank 1Animal1_1

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Maynard. I am sorry to read that it not meet your expectations.

Just to clarify with our standard breakfast service guests are free to come down from 7:30am with the last entry into breakfast at 10:00am. The morning after a wedding we offer the bride and groom a more social option of all their guests eating together. Breakfast is served as a buffet so it can be taken as one large party and gives the bride and groom the option of one last social occasion with their family and friends prior to departing. On this occasion the time chosen by the bride and groom was 9:30am and we honoured their request. I apologise that you did not feel the time was communicated to you on check in.

We do not currently offer sewing kits, however, it is something I will look into for the future.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

We arrived in a stress about booking rail tickets, the young mangeress helped us no end Thank you. Breakfast was yummy and plentiful, bed was very comfortable, bathroom to die for!!!!!!bubble bath each night. History abounds in the area

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
MaynardHotel, Manager at The Maynard, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Thank you for your positive review of our hotel. I am very glad you enjoyed your stay with us at The Maynard.

I am pleased to hear that your ticket problem was rectified and our staff provided you with a professional and courteous service.

We are lucky to be situated in a place surrounded by beautiful landscape and where history comes in an abundance, giving our guests an excuse to escape to the Peak District time and time again.

I hope we can welcome you back to The Maynard hotel in the future.

Hugh Skelton

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grindleford
Losehill House Hotel & Spa
The Izaak Walton Hotel
Bagshaw Hall
Bagshaw Hall
#3 of 6 in Bakewell
Rutland Arms Hotel Bakewell
East Lodge Country House Hotel
Innkeeper's Lodge Castleton, Peak District

Been to The Maynard? Share your experiences!