“A little place we could call 'heaven on earth'”
Review of The Monkey Hut

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in La Laguna de Apoyo
The Monkey Hut
New Delhi, India
“A little place we could call 'heaven on earth'”
Reviewed 25 July 2012

I really loved our stay at The Monkey Hut.
The staff, the service and the food are excellent.
The nature all around and the Lago de Apoyo are fabulous. It is an amazing place to relax, to enjoy the peace and to cool down on warm days.
I would defenetly recomend everyone to go there, to spend some time at The Monkey Hut!
You will LOVE it.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Amelie B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed 25 July 2012

The pristine water of the lake, the amazing view and the perfect location made out of my visit to the monkey hut one of the best i have ever had in my trips in central america.
Location can not be better, the acomoddation and the food (specially the pizza) were excellent.
I really enjoyed having the change to meet some locals and other fellow travellers.
The best memory i have was having a voctoria beer while enjoying the sunset at the deck.... Priceless!!!
The owner was very helpul and gave me valuable tips for mu further trips to nicaragua and costa rica.
I will certainly come back here... i loved it!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Nicaragua
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Don't stay here. If you want to enjoy the Laguna de Apoyo, go to El Paradiso right down the road (or any of the other places down there). El Paradiso is less expensive and the people are much nicer! They don't charge you for bringing your own drinks and taxes are included in the prices (no surprises at checkout). And if you're thinking, well The Monkey Hut has catamarans, that doesn't matter. We made a trip there just to use the catamarans and even talked with the manager before via email but when we got there he blew us off the whole weekend saying he was too busy and that the owners had him working hard (but he was sitting and drinking/smoking most of the time) and said "maybe later" I don't know how many times. We were there 3 days and did not get to use the catamarans.

The place is way overcrowded with daytrippers which take up most of the area and used all the water "toys". Also, there were dead bugs all over our bed when we got there...

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank seetheworld032
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Me and my friends decided to do a daytrip to the lake. And it was beautiful, the lake is such an amazing place and it was so good coming away from the heat in Granada. And the lady that met us in the reception was really nice and we started discussing that maybe we should stay a few nights there. But then we quickly changed our minds. The people who work there are terribly rude. We were going to have lunch at the restaurant, ordered our food and that was all good, but immediatley when they put down our plates they just said, pay now. I gave the lady money for my food and we sorted out our change. Then a new man came up to me and said you need to pay, which I just had done and we were discussing back and forth. Also they have the honor system, took two beers from the fridge and walked out to put them on the table and then put them on our tab and the manager just said" You pay for that", of course I would pay for it and there was no reason to be so rude. We felt really unwelcome and I would never stay at a place like that. But if you go there for a day it's beautiful but bring your own food and drinks and avoid the people who work there.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank JohannaO83
Bratislava
Reviewed 4 February 2012

Lake Apoyo by itself is a strange place, law to allow private properties all around nice shore is sick, well, they love it this way, OK they have it.

There are some better places around the lake than Monkey Hut. At least looking better.

I can hardly trust manager even if he is doing his best, that he is knowing all what to do, especially with bed bugs what we did have that night in beds of dorm. OK, he did not hide this problem in the morning and he said he is spending a lots of money every month to clean beds, but all other places they know what to do in such case - burn all mats and pillows... Seems they do not understand it can not get red of it by chemicals. But I am not here to tell them what they should do, just to say, they will probably never stop this problem, so expect bed bugs here.

We went to this place also on purpose they offer free kayaks. Well I work with kayaks so I know what kayak should look like. The do not have any kayak, just 2 pieces of completly destroyed kayaks with broken everything, what broken could be, including seat and paddle, missing drying bunge replaced by piece of plastic bag... Hight tax or any trouble to import kayaks to Nicaragua can not excuse they promote something they actually do not have in shape suitable for any safe usage.

Also group of americans on a team building and brain washing meeting occupied all place so it was not a place to relax.

It is pity this place looks nice on first impression, after a day and night it may disapoint you.

Also I would blame to owners, they are probably from Belgium - once you invest money, do it with all what is related, this is just occupying nice lake shore with BUGS in your business. Shy.

I am really sorry to write this review, because manager is nice person, but it was the only place with bed bugs, I check it every night since then.

Room Tip: I can not suggest good room after a night with bed bugs.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Paddler_Hostel
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2012

This hotel markets itself as a relaxing getaway however despite the spectualar surroundings the atmosphere of the place itself is very disappointing and there must be better options in the area.

The Monkey Hut has also clearly become a day trip for many middle class Managuan families, who monopolise the facilities (we were unable to use a kayak during our stay) and disrupt the purported tranquility. Although we were here as a couple I wouldn´t consider this place suitable for a group of backpackers either as it is overrun with young kids during the day and too quiet to be a sociable place to hang out in the evenings.

If you are going to stay here make sure you do so in a cabin - the 'private' rooms are next to the reception and the staff are extremely noisy both late at night and early (from 5am) in the morning and treat guests as an inconvenience. Strangely food is not served after 6pm.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sjl012
Granada, Nicaragua
Reviewed 22 January 2012

The Monkey Hut rules! This really is the greatest spot I've seen so far on my trip through Central America! First visited the spot as a day visitor coming from The Bearded Monkey in Granada; next day I came back for three nights, ended up staying a whole week! They have friendly staff, free kayaks and internet, great pizzas, tranquil atmosphere, nice swimming! hundreds of hammocks and some nice lounge chairs near the crater's beach! The place gets a little crowded during the weekends (but that's cool since it offered me the opportunity to practice my Spanish with some nice Nicaraguan visitors that I met there!), but during the week it really is 100% relax! One recommendation to the staff: make some more publicity for the pizzas, they're great!!! I can only recommend this place and I will definitely go back! Hopefully next Spring break! One more recommendation: check out the moon rise at night! And early in the morning you can see some toucans in the palm tree near the main terrace!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Casa San Francisco
Casa San Francisco
#5 of 43 in Granada
Hacienda Puerta Del Cielo Eco Spa

Been to The Monkey Hut? Share your experiences!