“Nothing but the best”
Review of Casa Marimba

and 1 more site!
Casa Marimba
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Arrived here late at night and was instantly welcomed into the residence as if i were a long time friend being welcomed into their home. The owners Serge and Arvin are absolutely fantastic hosts. They took the time to chat and get to know me on a genuine personal level. They even took me into town with them for dinner, it was really great.
The food both of these guys make was incredible and so healthy. I wish i could have stayed just to eat more.
The location is perfectly situated on Apoyo lagoons shores with a beautiful view and the house and property are both clean and well maintained.
I took a yoga class with serge and it was also very good. He's a very qualified instructor with a ton of knowledge and knows his stuff.
One night we did a singing bowl meditation with the hotel clients and a local family which was an amazing experience in itself.
If you plan to come here, plan to stay at least 3+ nights. you will not regret it.
Honestly one of the most memorable and best places i've stayed at in my live and i travel a TON.
Already planning my trip back.

Room Tip: All rooms are great but the best are the 2 on the north side facing the lake, top or bottom.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank VegabondMike
There are newer reviews for Casa Marimba

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Anthony and Serge work well together at Casa Aromansse to make your stay enjoyable
The appeal of their place is the open layers of the building, like a wedding cake
At the bottom, Lago de Apoyo beauty invites you to walk down the steps and swim
Serge has experience with Thai massage and also teaches Yoga
Anthony prepares meals and presents them with attention to color and texture to appeal to the eyes as well as your palate

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Veronica660
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I spent the last night in Nicaragua at Aromansse . And it put a large crown on my trip to Nica. Little bit hard to get to but it makes the place even more mysterious. The photos here doesnt even do the place justice. The host is a French who will cook a wonderful meal for you ! He is very nice and has this peacefullness that makes you relax also. Also there is Nicaraguan guy there who is super nice too. Recommend to everyone ! Im going to return again later with my girlfriend !!!

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank bson01
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Arvin and Serge - well done, thoroughly enjoyed my stay.
Very calm/tranquil ambience, location is spot on overlooking lagoon, great food although breakfasts were the highlight.
Arvin on the day of my departure ended up showing me the masaya volcano, drove me to Granada and had lunch with me. Wish the team and Aromansse all the best for the future!

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Jl06agac
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Really enjoyed our 2 night stay here and regretted not staying a third. Serge, the owner, goes out of his way to make sure everything is okay and he'll be a big part of the reason for people recommending Casa Aromansse. It's only about a 20 minute taxi ride from Granada and well worth coming to.

The food served there (we had breakfast and dinner there both nights) was excellent, well presented, fresh and cooked by Serge himself. Cleaned our plates each time - my wife's a pretty picky eater and usually leaves some food behind so I was fairly disappointed not to be finishing hers off :)

The lagoon, which this B&B sits right next to, is another big reason to come here. Clean, warm and quiet (no boats - just the odd kayak), it's basically a huge 100m deep bathtub. Arguably the best place for a swim in the whole of Central America.

Area is very quiet and safe (protected nature reserve and very little development around) so this is a place to come and chill which we definitely needed to do after travelling through Nicaragua for a couple of weeks. Casa Amomansse has minimized it's environmental footprint and blends in quite nicely with its surroundings.

If I had any suggestions for the owner to help improve (and this is really picky!), it would be to add maybe bedside tables to the rooms that don't have them - found myself leaving phone and book reader on floor which I stood on next morning :)

If I'm ever in that part of the world again, I'll be going back. Thanks Serge!

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, ask Serge to suggest a room where the noise of the nearby rooster(s...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank andrewjknox
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Beautiful location on the waters edge at Laguna de Apoyo, swimming in the lagoon is not to be missed although the beach is a bit stony. The owners and staff were exceptionally kind and considerate, personally helping us with awkward transport arrangements. Accommodation is simple but tasteful, we loved the natural wood floors in particular. We had an upstairs front room and the view over the lagoon from our balcony was gorgeous. Great place to sit in the evening after a day walking along the shore, swimming or lazing in one of the hammocks or swing seats. The food was excellent, fresh and prepared with care. The place has recently been refurbished by the owner using local resources as much as possible and we had the pleasure of being some of the earliest guests in a newly completed room.

Recommended without hesitation for the location and ambience, one of the nicest places I've been.

Room Tip: Front room overlooking the lake if you can
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tour1st62
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Surrounded by natural beauty, caring staff, good food and wonderful company, I actually feel like a had a vacation, my only regret is I didn’t stay longer.

This B&B is right on the shore of Laguna de Apoyo in an idyllic private setting. The house itself is built into the rock and has been refurbished by the owner. The Lagoon is tranquil, quiet, clean and said to have healing qualities. (You need to wear some type of water shoes, there are a lot of stones)

This is a very safe place to stay, safety is always a number one concern for me when traveling solo. (they lock the gates at night) There are hammocks to nap in, several outdoor spaces to just lounge around in, a unique outdoor kitchen where you can sit and have a coffee or a snack and spend time talking to other guests or the wonderful owner Serge. (he is really the reason I will be going back, truly lovely man) Also there is always clean fresh drinking water available. (bring your own water bottle so you can fill it up regularly)

The meals were mostly vegetarian and were served outside next to the water so that in the evening you could take in the vast panoramic view of the stars.

I had a room upstairs, which I loved. It was a really good size and very clean. It had its own bathroom with shower and lots of screened windows I could leave open to let the evening breeze in. There was an outdoor balcony with comfortable furniture so you could sit out there and read or just look over the water. I couldn’t believe how during the day it was beautifully warm and then in the evening it cooled off so that you could easily fall asleep just listening to the sound of the waves hitting the shore. (I do have to tell you when you leave the windows open you will hear monkeys and roosters but for me it was an important element of being right in the middle of a jungle).

I was able to take several tours from there and the guide and driver I had were so friendly, informative and accommodating. They really went out of their way to ensure you had a good experience. You could probably speak to the owner and see if he can arrange for someone to take you on a tour.

I would definitely recommend this B&B and I know you will enjoy the company of the owner Serge who did all he could to make my experience in Nicaragua an unforgettable one. It is a hidden treasure.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
#1 of 6 in La Laguna de Apoyo
Apoyo Lodge
Apoyo Lodge
#3 of 6 in La Laguna de Apoyo

Been to Casa Marimba? Share your experiences!