I can't add much more to the excellent reviews of the property, the food, and the service.
We loved the place.
But we had two experiences with guided trips that merit posting here:
* I went on a hiking trip up to a water fall...the hike is called the "Hidden Gem" because there the trail is somewhat rough but the waterfall is beautiful. However we had to cross the stream frequently (sometimes climbing boulders) on rain slick rocks...the guide was very helpful however it was clear that not everyone was prepared for something this tricky...one woman just had just a t-shirt on...went swimming at the falls..and then started shivering intensely because of the temperature, wind, and misty air....it would have been good to prepare us a bit more as to the nature of this hike
* My wife went on a horse back riding tour. She was given the personal horse of one of the guides and because the horse wasn't used to my wife...he was full of "spit & vinegar" as she said...also the guide was much shorter than my wife and the horse was waaaay to small for her...her feet in the stirrups were well below the horses belly which contributed to the following: the other guides horse took off at a gallop (I had been told that El Silencio horses are very gentle and well behaved) and my wife's horse decided to follow...but she couldn't get a solid grip with her legs (too long)...also saddles in Costa Rica don't have a horn so she had nothing to grip on top...anyway she got thrown onto a gravel road...thank God that she didn't break anything like her neck...
I share these experiences so that guests can ask questions up front about the tours....although that wouldn't helped on the horseback tour...I didn't go because I'd had a similar experience in the past (so called docile horse decides to follow another galloping horse)...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- El Silencio Lodge & Spa is a unique luxury cloud forest hotel set in Costa Rica's pristine Bajos del Toro region. Flanked by two national parks, this all-suite and private villa hotel combines upscale comforts with an intense natural immersion experience. Outstanding features include farm-to-table cuisine, a wellness spa, an adventure park, and authentic cultural experiences. Zip-lining, rappelling, horseback riding, waterfall hiking, oxcart painting, Tico cooking lessons and more can be enjoyed by couples and families (minimum age: 8). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, MrandMrsSmith, TripOnline SA and Ebookers so you can book your El Silencio Lodge & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Silencio Hotel Bajos Del Toro
- El Silencio Lodge & Spa Costa Rica/Bajos Del Toro