My husband and I stayed at El Silencio for 2 nights and we wish we stayed for more! It was a wonderful experience and I would highly recommend staying here for a nice getaway. It’s off the beaten path, but worth the trek to get there. The service is the best I’ve had at a CR hotel and the staff is on top of everything! I don’t say this about many hotels but we will be back again to stay at El Silencio! he rooms are little private cabins, large and very comfortable. They’ve thought of everything!! I really do not have anything bad to say about this hotel, but for those of you who do their research, I’m giving you my observations and tips.
I’ve included some pictures so you can see the room and views.
1.Newly furnished and very comfortable - the property is only 6 years old so all the accommodations are fairly new, comfortable and well decorated.
2.Room – you have your own little cabin with a Jacuzzi outside and a porch. The room is a very good size and has a nice sitting area.
3.Mini Fridge - large enough to put extra drinks or if you have food, there is a stocked mini-bar that you can purchase.
4.Coffee Maker inside the room
5.Bed is very plush, comfortable, and it is comparable to a Westin Heavenly bed. They got this right!
6.Jacuzzi – full sized private Jacuzzi outside your room. Turn it on 2 hours before you need it and it will be ready. It’s fantastic to come home to after a long walk and dinner. You can adjust the temp by adding cold or hot at any time. It’s fresh water, no chlorine!
7.Fresh water – the water is so fresh here you can drink it out of the tap. I’m from California where you wouldn’t dare drink tap water, but this place is for real. No need for bottled water at this resort. A real shocker for me.
8.Bathroom – the shower is very nice and new. Has two sinks which is perfect for a couple.
9.Robes and slipper were awesome and perfect for going out to the Jacuzzi.
10.Umbrellas – no need to bring your own umbrella as they have them for you to use.
11.Blackout drapes – if you want to sleep in darkness, you will get it here and great for if you want to take a nap.
12.Valet car service – You just pull up to the hotel, they take your luggage and park your car – they take care of everything!
13.Turndown service – they come to your room while you are eating dinner and give you fresh water with fruit and put hot water bottles in your bed to keep you warm at night! A really nice surprise!
14.Staff – impressive service, extremely personable and are driven to ensure you are happy at all times. The general manager was very attentive and friendly. They get 6 stars in customer service!
This hotel exceeded our expectations! I really do not have any negative things to say about our stay, which is rare! :) but I thought I would include just a few things to consider as well.
1. Weather can be a little chilly – they provide a heater in the room which made it very comfortable. I'm for California, so keep in mind my comment is based on that perspective. We were there in May and wore cotton pants/jeans and cotton long sleeved shirts. Bring a sweatshirt and sweatpants. It’s not cold but it’s a little chillier than other parts of CR. We were comfortable during our stay but we had the right clothes. Bring a lightweight rain slicker too, that will be very helpful!
2.Grounds Lighting – it gets dark outside so bring a small flashlight or use a headlamp. They gave us a flashlight, so we used that in addition to our headlamps.
3.Location is remote – Its located in a little valley and it’s remote so it is a little hard to find at first but you will be glad you did. The hotel contacted us in advance and provided excellent driving directions but we are glad we drove during the day. I would not advise driving to the hotel at night if this is your first time.
4.La Paz Waterfalls Park - Worth seeing, it was an easy 1.5 hour drive from the hotel. We had a fabulous time there, spent from 11-5pm and would go back again. Hand feeding the hummingbirds was the highlight of my trip – they offer hand feeding twice a day so ask what times it takes place if you are interested. You are also able to hold Toucans as well. Most of the guides say spend half a day, but you can certainly spend more. If you hike down to the waterfalls, there is a bus service that will bring you back up to the top of the park. Great facility sort of a combo park/zoo.
5. Zarcero - a town worth visiting. Known for their cheese, go visit the park and the church. Cool and worth stopping for at least a half an hour visit.
I want to thank the staff for a very memorable experience and I hope that if time and money permits, we will return.
Mauricio and Rossana Fernandez
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- El Silencio Lodge & Spa is a unique luxury cloud forest hotel set in Costa Rica's pristine Bajos del Toro region. Flanked by two national parks, this all-suite and private villa hotel combines upscale comforts with an intense natural immersion experience. Outstanding features include farm-to-table cuisine, a wellness spa, an adventure park, and authentic cultural experiences. Zip-lining, rappelling, horseback riding, waterfall hiking, oxcart painting, Tico cooking lessons and more can be enjoyed by couples and families (minimum age: 8). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Agoda, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA and Traveltool, S.L.U. so you can book your El Silencio Lodge & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Silencio Hotel Bajos Del Toro
- El Silencio Lodge & Spa Costa Rica/Bajos Del Toro