See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 11 November 2016 via mobile

This place supposedly had a "Garden View" but the hotel doesn't have a garden - just plants around a pool, of which I could see if I stood right next to the window and looked right, as mainly I was looking at a wall. And to that pool, large groups gather there and play music from their iPhones and talk loudly sometimes as late as 3am. No signs are warding these people off, and staff don't care.

My room was super musty (see above "wall view") and the fan didn't work, so nothing got dry. Ever.

As to be wifi, it would actually be better if the place didn't have it since it's so slow/cuts out it's a waste of time.

Date of stay: October 2016
Reviewed 8 April 2016 via mobile

とても快適な2日間を過ごすことが出来ました。4月ということもあってか、宿泊客は私一人でしたが、スタッフの方には大変親切にしてもらいました。

このホテルに対して多くの否定的で辛辣なコメントが寄せられていますが、どうか無視してください。

私も正直な所、身構えていましたがそんな気持ちが恥ずかしくなるくらい不満という不満はありませんでした。(強いて挙げるならバスルームのお風呂がかなり年季が入ってることくらい)

もし、あなたがイースター島で豪華な食事や広々としたプールをお望みなら他の豪華で贅沢でありきたりなホテルに行ってください。

贅沢なホテルでは味わえない庶民的で開放的な場所です。また、スタッフとの距離も近く優しい気持ちになれるでしょう。

I spent two days in Hotel Hotu Matua and I enjoyed to stay here so much.

I'm the only one customer in here.
Staff were really nice to me.

Other people complain about this hotel and it makes me so sad.

Price is good, room is clean (bath was a bit old but it's ok), friendly staff, how can you say it's bad.

If you want to stay hotel with a big pool or great restaurant, you should go to expensive hotel.

Overall, I like this hotel even people called old-hotel.

Date of stay: April 2016
Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank HandsomeC1
Reviewed 1 February 2015

1st Hotel which was built in Hanga Roa ( 15 - 20 Minutes walk ) Nice big clean room, bath/WC – shower, electric etc. GOOD. Bed was arranged, room was cleaned every day !! Friendly
owner and staff. you can rent his car 40$ p day, breakfast okay ( but every day the same),

usable swimming pool (but a bid dirty) and palm trees. You get a airport transfere, when leaving. Prices are to high !!!!!!!!!!!!

Most other facilities described in booking.com NOT useable. The Hotel is 40 years old and need maintanance, which is done, if there are guests or not. A bid noicy daytimes. All
meal facilities 15-20 walk in Honga Roa. Basic BF, no fried eggs, not enough fruits.
No small shop, for a bottle of coke or water you need to walk 15 Min .......

Room tip: diff. Types, from single with bath/shower to 2 room appartments
Date of stay: January 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We were unfortunate to have our hotel reservation being changed to this hotel, Hotu Matua.
The hotel is located outside of the city at Easter Island, about 30 min by walk to the main street. Not a long distance, but problematic when the hotel does not even sell bottled water (nor food), and you must go to the city to buy this and other basic items as well!!
The hotel is from the 70's and have not been renovated since then. All interior is old or broken, the pool area is dirty and the pool is green of bad water.
We had to change rooms three times in order to get a fairly decent room with a working toilet and shower, and being able to close the front door. The room was really bad, but better than the rest of the rooms... :-(

The bed, linen, pillows, and the floor was so dirty that you would get your feet black of dirt even when walking a couple of meters from bathroom to the bed. Even after extra cleaning of the rooms, the floor was really dirty.
Beside this, there were both ants and cockroaches in the room (and in the bed and in our bags and clothes). We got a bottle with "Radar" when we complained about it...

Do not stay at this hotel!!! And if you get "transferred" due to overbooking, demand to be richly compensated in doing so!

Date of stay: March 2013
9  Thank Patrikru
Reviewed 10 February 2009

We stayed at this hotel and despite being warned about how bad it was I still was not fully prepared for what greeted me. The rooms although large are horrendous with sheets as old as time and the worst bathroom I have ever seen. All rooms were infested with ants and cockroaches. No air condtioning and the thing that really made me laugh is that there is no such thing as an alarm call as the walls are so incredibly thin that as soon as one person wakes up, the whole block is up.
I have no objection to a basic hotel room but this was oddly furnished with ancient bunche of dusty fake flowers and dirty looking rugs on the floor (these could at least be placed over the drains to try and limit the entrance of roaches.) Doors did not lock and the place was unclean. Honestly if I was returning to the stunningly beautiful Easter Island I would prefer to stay in the campsite on the island than this hotel.
I was there on business and not paying the extortionate price but please for goodness sake if you are on honeymoon or a special trip please do not consider this hotel.

Date of stay: January 2009