“Terrible Administration”
Review of Hotel Manavai

Hotel Manavai
Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Hanga Roa
Reviewed 18 December 2011

I booked two rooms at The Manavai in August for 5 nights over New Years Eve. I began emailing the hotel in November to confirm arrival times and if we could be collected from the airport. I sent over ten emails in a three week period and no reply. I then began calling. I must have tried to call over 50 times. Not a single answer at any time of day.
I called the management company in Santiago Chile to ask if the hotel had closed. They told me "No" but they are renowned for not answering the phone! Great hotel practice that!
Finally the management company got back to me and told me they had no record of my booking!
We managed at the last minute to get into another hotel. I shall be taking legal advice after we have returned.
BEWARE OF THIS HOTEL

Room Tip: Choose any other room anywhere on the island and it will be better than here. Possibly under an ahu...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank Matt W

Reviewed 14 April 2011

I Stayed at this place with my husband, the guy who ran the place should really be in another business as he was not pleasant at all. I got bitten by bed bugs and when I asked them to wash my travel blanket and dry on extra hot heat to kill any potential bugs they charged me $10, what a scam!!! We rented their crap jeep and it was seriously a piece of junk for a day then the next day we rented from downtown location only a block away for a better price and not such a load of crap. Price was high and no discount given for bed bugs. + we had a similar experience as others with the whole US dollar/ Chilean pesos, they charged us extra to pay in their own currency! What a joke. Stay away.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank applejaxX10
Reviewed 27 January 2011

The hotel is in the middle of Hanga Roa, in walking distance of everything in town. The international staff will help you organize all the activites you can do on the Island.
There's a very nice backyard with tropical plants. You'll have to climb a few stairs to get to the pool, but will have a nice view to the beach.
The hotel is a bit pricy for what's offered, but that's a general thing on the Easter Island. Everything is quite expensive, since almost everything has to be taken there by plane or ship.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank mika_1710
Reviewed 1 September 2010

Just returned from a trip to Easter Island and Hotel Manavai was a wonderful experience! Kim was excellent, she speaks English and her and the entire staff were exceptional! I can not recommend them enough! I had originally tried to book with the Tuaara inn, edith took my Credit card infor, but never confirmed my visit, so you can imagine my surprise when I show up and no one is there to pick me up. So I got a ride to Manavai and they were happy to have me. Rooms are simple, as are most in easter island, but comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 February 2010

We had a very nice stay at the Manavai and the staff are second to none.

This hotel is mid range, comfortable and very central but in a quiet location. The rooms are basic but very clean and comfortable.

Our flight to Santiago was cancelled and I cannot stress enough how helpful the Manager Kim was. She informed us of the cancellation, then constantly checked out what was happening at the airport and she let us spend the day at the hotel until our rescheduled flight was due and arranged a life to the airport for us. In contrast, all those people staying at the plus expensive Explorer were not given any information and just dropped at the airport to check in for the "non existent" flight.

If you want a good basic hotel, I would definitely recommend the Manavai.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2009

Had a very good time. The people are very friendly and helpful. Easter Island is a very unique and bizarre place. You must experience it for yourself!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 September 2009

We had a very pleasant 5-night stay at Hotel Manavai. The walls are pretty thin, but we found the room to be clean and reasonably comfortable. With the exception of a rather grumpy driver who picked us up and took us back to the airport, everyone was helpful and very friendly, especially the front-desk staff.

The breakfasts were simple but

If you are looking for luxury accommodation, then you should head to Explora or elsewhere. However, if you want something central and not too expensive, then I would recommend the Manavai.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple